There are 242 users in the forums

So Mark Purdy thinks Tomsula kinda fired himself on Monday

Shop Find 49ers gear online
http://www.mercurynews.com/49ers/ci_29318900/purdy-49ers-jim-tomsula-sounds-like-man-ready

I wish he really had fired himself
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Yep, read that, he sounded like a defeatist.

He should be fired!
  • Dingo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Rascal:

He should be fired!

He will be.
You might guess I am a Hayneboi and for weeks it has all been negative from the coaches. But, the coaching and the organisation became so chaotic and the decisions so bewildering it occurred to me that despite the official line, Hayne probably would play and the more that McGaughey hinted that he wouldn't - the greater the chance of the opposite happening. Then McG came out two weeks ago and proclaimed "it just didn't work out". Well that was exactly what I wanted to hear. Sure enough....

Jed needs a substantial circuit-breaker. The process will be: he wakes up one morning this week and realises that no matter the result on Sunday he's going to have to push Tomsula. Expect a strong statement between now and then saying Jim has our full confidence.
[ Edited by Dingo on Dec 29, 2015 at 3:55 AM ]
The 49ers, have me in a headspace I've Never Been In, EVER, while following ANY of my favourite sport
Franchises. At this point, I reserve My Right to Plead the `Vinnie Barbarino´ ... 'cause "I'm So CONFUSED".

• lazy
  • Veteran
Hopefully he gets fired after the Rams game.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Rascal:

He should be fired!
he coaches scared, he can not motivate, he sounds like a defeatist. oh but he is a nice guy
Poor guy. I feel bad for him. He was set up to fail and the Yorks set him up to be the fall guy after the Harbaugh scandal and dismanteling of to team. Jed has now successfully reset expectations from winning the super bowl to just becoming competitive again. Well done Jed!
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Dec 29, 2015 at 7:08 AM ]
I just don't see it. There are years left on his contract, his staff's contracts, and Baalke's contract. I just don't see Jed firing them and still paying, and then paying the replacements. I think he sticks it out another season for financial reasons. Don't give Jed and Baalke that much credit. Firing him and starting over with a real staff would be a smart move. Does that sound like something this team would do? Nope.
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
I just don't see it. There are years left on his contract, his staff's contracts, and Baalke's contract. I just don't see Jed firing them and still paying, and then paying the replacements. I think he sticks it out another season for financial reasons. Don't give Jed and Baalke that much credit. Firing him and starting over with a real staff would be a smart move. Does that sound like something this team would do? Nope.

I think it would be a buy-out situation. Tomsula doesn't strike me as a guy that would hang around for money.
Originally posted by InsertNameHere:

I think it would be a buy-out situation. Tomsula doesn't strike me as a guy that would hang around for money.

If I was Tomsula, I wouldn't leave or think I should. He was handed a s**t hand by Baalke and that roster. No way he could have succeeded. I would be thinking I could do better next year if given the opportunity and new players. I'm sure he knows he is in over his head, but he can't go back now.

Communication is huge as a coach. If he was a great tactician and a successful coach, the press conferences wouldn't bother me as much. But he is an embarrassment on ALL accounts of being a coach. He is the voice and face of the Niners. He has failed in every single press conference this year and just about every game.

That said, no way in hell he'll get canned. He will be the head coach to start next year and he will get fired mid season because this team will start off EXACTLY the same. Geep Chryst will be fired this offseason. Soprano (sp) will be the OC and Mangini will remain as DC. After Jimbo gets canned Mangini will take over for the year. Its so damn easy to call. Jed will not admit so soon to his mistake and he doesn't wanna answer those questions. So he will not fire Jimbo. Jimbo is the perfect yes man for Jed. He is a nice guy that doesn't make it uncomfortable for Jed. He likes it a lot and they are praying for the success of Jimbo. And the reason they won't can Jimbo will be because of the rough offseason. Its a ready made excuse. This is too obvious.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
the attempts to humanize the alleged head coach is sad and laughable at the same time in my opinion
  • Lifer
  • Veteran
Jim Tomsula's a nice guy and he does have his virtues. Obviously, being a Head Coach in the NFL is not one of them. But he does have a brutal, if inarticulate, honesty. What he's trying to say is that he understands it's a performance-based business and he hasn't performed. Given the objective numbers, it would not be a surprise if he were fired. He knows that and (another virtue here) he's not making any excuses.

Purdy is reading between the lines and speculating that JT either knows or suspects that he'll be fired, and that no one in the organization has assured him otherwise. Fair enough. It's speculation, nothing more.

I've been saying for months that the Yorks would never fire Tomsula and admit their mistake. I'm beginning to think otherwise. Why? Empty seats at Levi's stadium. The Yorks care deeply about two things: Dollars and appearances. Those empty seats are hurting them and may just force their hand.

Will firing Tomsula fix the problem? No, you need to fire Baalke too. But it'll improve appearances and that might be enough to fill the seats.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Poor guy. I feel bad for him. He was set up to fail and the Yorks set him up to be the fall guy after the Harbaugh scandal and dismanteling of to team. Jed has now successfully reset expectations from winning the super bowl to just becoming competitive again. Well done Jed!

yup. i can't blame JT, who would turn down the offer to be an NFL HC? the blame should placed mainly on York and Baalke for hiring JT, and now putting this franchise back another 5 years.
Originally posted by InsertNameHere:

If I was Tomsula, I wouldn't leave or think I should. He was handed a s**t hand by Baalke and that roster. No way he could have succeeded. I would be thinking I could do better next year if given the opportunity and new players. I'm sure he knows he is in over his head, but he can't go back now.

This is *partially* how I feel. Yes, he was given an impossible hand and I doubt any other coach would've gotten us to better than .500, but the team wouldn't have looked as woefully lost and seemingly hopeless going forward. While some players are individually doing OK, the team collectively is performing so poorly and the botched coaching decisions all year have added up to being catastrophic.

You're right, I think he realizes this is more challenging than he's really equipped to do at this level, but can't go back now.
Share 49ersWebzone