There are 241 users in the forums

Week 16 2015: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
nice post marvin
"Rewatching"? you mean people can actually sit through this garbage twice?
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by Username1:
"Rewatching"? you mean people can actually sit through this garbage twice?

Srsly it's hard enough to watch once.
Originally posted by BleedsRedNGold:
Gabbert needs an entire offseason to work with the offense and he should be given a shot. We can draft a QB in the later rounds because none of the 1st round guys are going to be better than Gabbert is right now.

The draft needs to be focused on the pass rush. I like Armstead and Williams in there with another premier pass rusher opposite Aaron Lynch.

This. Gabbert conducted close to 300 yards of offense in the first half alone before the coaches shut that down with the quickness. It took Alex 5 years to put up 300 yards for a game. Lol
[ Edited by NCommand on Dec 30, 2015 at 3:17 PM ]
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Not impressed by Hodges. Timid to fill the hole, doesn't understand underneath zones. Fast but doesn't understand his role within the defense, sounds like another Nick Moody. My thoughts are on him are on the season. Didn't watch him versus DET.

I though he played pretty well yesterday. I agree that he's not always in the right place, and that he's not great taking on OL in the run game. I think he's adjusting to our 3-4 from Minny's 4-3, and I think he'll be more confident in the defense with a full offseason, which Moody had several of.
Good point. Yeah I'll acknowledge that he is learning a new system when it comes to run defense. It's a new role for him going from being a free runner in a 4-3 to a lead block occupier as a 3-4 Ted. I don't like what I'm seeing from him as a zone pass defender though. I don't see too much difference in scheme change in that regard. He has youth/upside to lean on so I know he isn't a finished product.

Yeah PFF has him as a borderline stater but to put that into context, so is Bowman. In short, this Mangini scheme puts a ton of stress and responsibilities on the two ILBs. It's a bit hard to tease out talent vs. scheme right now. I'm still seeing Brock yelling at Tartt on a missed assignment. This defense is complex and guys are still learning obviously.
[ Edited by NCommand on Dec 30, 2015 at 3:09 PM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Not impressed by Hodges. Timid to fill the hole, doesn't understand underneath zones. Fast but doesn't understand his role within the defense, sounds like another Nick Moody. My thoughts are on him are on the season. Didn't watch him versus DET.

I though he played pretty well yesterday. I agree that he's not always in the right place, and that he's not great taking on OL in the run game. I think he's adjusting to our 3-4 from Minny's 4-3, and I think he'll be more confident in the defense with a full offseason, which Moody had several of.
Good point. Yeah I'll acknowledge that he is learning a new system when it comes to run defense. It's a new role for him going from being a free runner in a 4-3 to a lead block occupier as a 3-4 Ted. I don't like what I'm seeing from him as a zone pass defender though. I don't see too much difference in scheme change in that regard. He has youth/upside to lean on so I know he isn't a finished product.

Yeah PFF has him as a borderline stater but to put that into context, so is Bowman. In short, this Mangini puts a ton of stress and responsibilities on the two ILBs. It's a bit hard to tease talent vs scheme right now. I'm still seeing Brock yelling at Tartt on a missed assignment. This defense is complex and guys are still learning obviously.

PFF kills Bowman on his coverage grade. He has a very good grade against the run.

Some of his struggles in coverage were related to his recovery and some were related to what seemed like constant scheme-related confusion in certain games.

As for Hodges, I think he's decent depth going forward and an upgrade over Wilhoite, but not a long-term starter.
Originally posted by Joecool:
It is obvious these coaches are shutting it down. It almost appears that they can put together good series when they really want. Then the dreaded run-run-pass comes back and they just shut it all down.

This seemed so obvious to me this game too.

Like you could tell we were hell bent on scoring a TD on the first possession in the first quarter to shut everyone up.
[ Edited by NCommand on Dec 30, 2015 at 3:18 PM ]
Originally posted by JamesGatz83:
PFF kills Bowman on his coverage grade. He has a very good grade against the run.

Some of his struggles in coverage were related to his recovery and some were related to what seemed like constant scheme-related confusion in certain games.

As for Hodges, I think he's decent depth going forward and an upgrade over Wilhoite, but not a long-term starter.

Agreed!
Could be from up top.
Originally posted by Jcool:
Nothing is really going to change. Tomsula will be brought back and I bet Geep Chryst will be fired only to be replaced with either Steve Logan or Tony Sparano. So next year will be a copy of this year.

You have been paying attention.

Share 49ersWebzone