There are 238 users in the forums

Week 16 2015: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by thl408:
Not impressed by Hodges. Timid to fill the hole, doesn't understand underneath zones. Fast but doesn't understand his role within the defense, sounds like another Nick Moody. My thoughts are on him are on the season. Didn't watch him versus DET.

I though he played pretty well yesterday. I agree that he's not always in the right place, and that he's not great taking on OL in the run game. I think he's adjusting to our 3-4 from Minny's 4-3, and I think he'll be more confident in the defense with a full offseason, which Moody had several of.
  • thl408
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Originally posted by thl408:
Not impressed by Hodges. Timid to fill the hole, doesn't understand underneath zones. Fast but doesn't understand his role within the defense, sounds like another Nick Moody. My thoughts are on him are on the season. Didn't watch him versus DET.

I though he played pretty well yesterday. I agree that he's not always in the right place, and that he's not great taking on OL in the run game. I think he's adjusting to our 3-4 from Minny's 4-3, and I think he'll be more confident in the defense with a full offseason, which Moody had several of.
Good point. Yeah I'll acknowledge that he is learning a new system when it comes to run defense. It's a new role for him going from being a free runner in a 4-3 to a lead block occupier as a 3-4 Ted. I don't like what I'm seeing from him as a zone pass defender though. I don't see too much difference in scheme change in that regard. He has youth/upside to lean on so I know he isn't a finished product.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by Jcool:

10) Almost over: This nightmare offseason and season are almost over. Only one more week before things could possibly start to change. I have no idea if they will actually pull the trigger, but the process of starting that slow climb back can start in one short week. I can only hope this is a positive offseason and nothing like last year.

Nothing is really going to change. Tomsula will be brought back and I bet Geep Chryst will be fired only to be replaced with either Steve Logan or Tony Sparano. So next year will be a copy of this year.

Possible...but at least we'll know in a few weeks here.

Marv, good write up as always. I share Jcools's worry about the coaching going forward. I can't believe how undisciplined this team is.
I'm a little more hopeful about Gabby as I think he is still recovering from that disaster he played with previously. What worries me is that he doesn't have the ability to make those around him better ala Brady, Manning etc. He might be capable, if he continues to improve to get the team to a SB with a descent line and a great defense (reminds me of Eli), but I doubt will ever be elite.
Originally posted by Born49R:
Originally posted by Jcool:
10) Almost over: This nightmare offseason and season are almost over. Only one more week before things could possibly start to change. I have no idea if they will actually pull the trigger, but the process of starting that slow climb back can start in one short week. I can only hope this is a positive offseason and nothing like last year.

Nothing is really going to change. Tomsula will be brought back and I bet Geep Chryst will be fired only to be replaced with either Steve Logan or Tony Sparano. So next year will be a copy of this year.

Possible...but at least we'll know in a few weeks here.

Marv, good write up as always. I share Jcools's worry about the coaching going forward. I can't believe how undisciplined this team is.
I'm a little more hopeful about Gabby as I think he is still recovering from that disaster he played with previously. What worries me is that he doesn't have the ability to make those around him better ala Brady, Manning etc. He might be capable, if he continues to improve to get the team to a SB with a descent line and a great defense (reminds me of Eli), but I doubt will ever be elite.

Gabbert may not be an all star caliber QB but he can be a decent stopgap. We will be able to draft someone to come in and compete for the job and to learn.

The 49ers really have a long way to go.
It is obvious these coaches are shutting it down. It almost appears that they can put together good series when they really want. Then the dreaded run-run-pass comes back and they just shut it all down.
Marvin, tough to make a silk purse out of a pig's ear.

1 Gab....looking more like a bridge QB to me for 2016. After that we will see.

2. DuJuan...looks like we should be drafting from 31 other teams Practice Squad

3. I like your wishful thinking, Marvin. Let's see we stiil need 3 starting OLs.....C, ROG, ROT, between draft and FA.

4. McD. ....maybe he just likes catching a ball not thrown at 86 mph...oops, that was kap's fastball in baseball. . OK, say 76 mph or slower. Really, when not thrown bullets, he seems to do OK.

5 Agree....sign Ian

6. Carradine....welcome to the club

7,Offsides....6 offsides in first half tied a NFL record. The 7th one in second half, broke the record for most offsides in a game. DON'T ever tell me Tomfoola did not set some records. And this baby says "COACHING STINKS".....a true emblem of feckless inferiority in coaching.

8. Bow....agreed

9. Hodges...agreed, love him.

10. Almost over....See #7. No way this perfect PETER'S PRINCIPLE stays on. It just won't happen. Players don't play like this if they love their coach. Well they voted and JT lost out.
But man, was he a good DL coach or what?
Didn't get to watch it, but that all sounds legit. I am thinking with a decent OC, Gabbs can at least hold us over in 2016 while we groom a QB or draft one in 2017
I have a strong feeling the ZBS will be scrapped along with Geep.

I don't mind Logan staying. I like his football mind and I think Sporano would do well to move into the offensive line role. I wouldn't be opposed to Tomsula coming back but he picked the wrong coordinators.

Kind of the reverse of Singletary/Martz. They were a perfect storm of the dog eat dog HC and the creative OC. Too bad Sing didn't recognize that enough to keep him...I hope Tomsula recognizes the effect and cuts his losses. And this is coming from a fan of Geep (when he is calling a good game that is and he has at times...terribly inconsistent).
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:

4. McD. ....maybe he just likes catching a ball not thrown at 86 mph...oops, that was kap's fastball in baseball. . OK, say 76 mph or slower. Really, when not thrown bullets, he seems to do OK.
This is so stupid it's mind blowing. Some of you really like to lay all the problems on our previous QB. If you haven't noticed, Vance has dropped more then a few of Gabberts passes also. Passes that hit him square in the hands. Vance's issues have nothing to do with the QB and everything to do with his own skills.
Originally posted by Dsoto87:
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:

This is so stupid it's mind blowing. Some of you really like to lay all the problems on our previous QB. If you haven't noticed, Vance has dropped more then a few of Gabberts passes also. Passes that hit him square in the hands. Vance's issues have nothing to do with the QB and everything to do with his own skills.

Agreed! two INTs the previous week?

Originally posted by reasonable1:
I have a strong feeling the ZBS will be scrapped along with Geep.

I don't mind Logan staying. I like his football mind and I think Sporano would do well to move into the offensive line role. I wouldn't be opposed to Tomsula coming back but he picked the wrong coordinators.

Kind of the reverse of Singletary/Martz. They were a perfect storm of the dog eat dog HC and the creative OC. Too bad Sing didn't recognize that enough to keep him...I hope Tomsula recognizes the effect and cuts his losses. And this is coming from a fan of Geep (when he is calling a good game that is and he has at times...terribly inconsistent).

ZBS is a smarter running scheme. Look at the turnaround Baltimore enjoyed when Kubiak arrived. Harriss's biggest runs yesterday were zone runs.

So many Zoners have complained when we pull a guard on play action pass plays, but that is a staple of the man/power blocking scheme. Since the runs require a pulling guard, the run fakes do, too, which means we have down blocks and a kickout to set up a deep passing play. ZBS play action passing doesn't require a pulling guard, so the protection is less sloppy.
Both McD and Bell had a drop each yesterday that I remembered. Late 4th qtr, Gabbert escaped to his left out of the pocket on an up the middle rusher. Stop right before he goes over the LOS, threw the ball to Bell that bounced off his hands. McD had a drop on the right side on another play. Maybe a full offf season with Gabbert may help.
yes, vance is coming along slowly, and i like bell way better than vance. I like celek. But we have had a problem keeping 3 TEs healthy at the same time. Hence, vance has gone frrom bad to better to continuing to improve. He definitely was not a guy to throw heaters to. He uniformly did poorly with kap, , but has been coming along with gab. Look at his last 4-5 games and compare them to the first half of season. He looks a lot better wtih gab throwing him the ball. I really think kap's fastballs screwed McD up. Well that's not an issue now. And i look for mcD to just continue to improve.

Like it or not, crabtree was another one who didn't care for kap's fastballs. He goes to Oakland and has an all pro yr. That was a factor directly attributable to kap throwing heat from 3-5 yds in addition to 15 and 35 yrds.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Dec 28, 2015 at 8:31 PM ]
Gotta say....getting harder and harder to have anything different to say every week...

1) Gabbert: More Meh. Made some decent throws and checked down more often than I'd like. That TD to Torrey and the pass to Ellington were particularly nice. Still looking like backup material to me tho. QB is a big need this offseason.

2) DuJuan Harris: Not a bad start for a guy coming in with very little time to learn the playbook. Line played well in the first half and gave him some big opportunities, but good for him for making the most out of them.

3) O-Line: Retooled line for the most part played pretty well, particularly in the first half. Brown certainly wasn't perfect but he played pretty well for a guys first NFL start...and especially for a 7th round pick. Might be something there. We'll see. Will Kilgore back and Davis possibly returning, maybe O-Line isn't as big a need as we originally thought. Maybe.

4) McDonald: The dude is maddening. One week he looks like he and the ball are repelling each other like magnets and the next week he shows off the speed and power that got him drafted in the first place. He just runs past LBs and he accelerates after the catch like few TEs can. I just don't know where to go with him. The guy has all the physical ability you'd want and is a fine blocker...but those hands man. Those hands.

5) Ian Williams: Must resign him. Starting to become dominant player. Would be a shame to see him walk away now.

6) Carradine: I may have finally given up on Tank. There were a few times he just ran past the play and then got rolled over. I had such high hopes for him, but I think its getting close to time to cut the cord.

7) Offsides: W.T.F.

8) Hodges: I like this guy a lot. I think he's the long-term starter beside Bowman. His speed is fantastic and he gets to the sideline SOOOO fast. Nobody is going to be PW52, but I think Hodges might be a very good compliment to Bowman.

9) Bowman: He missed a few tackles there, but he really looks like he's getting all the way back. I don't see him favoring that knee nearly as much. Great accomplishment to come back and make the Pro Bowl. Luv ya Bo.

Agree with ya. Esp. on OL and ILB.. I think we keep Hodges and Wilohoit as 3rd guy, draft another Chris Borland in 3rd. round. For O-Line, ONLY IF DAVIS COMES BACK!- Go FA at RG, draft a Staley's future replacement to be our swing tackle now and potential starter if needed. Martin, Pears, and BPA currently on roster can be the backups. Pears can back up 4 positions.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by bzborow1:
Gabbert may not be an all star caliber QB but he can be a decent stopgap. We will be able to draft someone to come in and compete for the job and to learn.

The 49ers really have a long way to go.

The problem is this rookie QB is going to be learning from this staff....
Share 49ersWebzone