LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 219 users in the forums

Week 16 2015: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Gotta say....getting harder and harder to have anything different to say every week...

1) Gabbert: More Meh. Made some decent throws and checked down more often than I'd like. That TD to Torrey and the pass to Ellington were particularly nice. Still looking like backup material to me tho. QB is a big need this offseason.

2) DuJuan Harris: Not a bad start for a guy coming in with very little time to learn the playbook. Line played well in the first half and gave him some big opportunities, but good for him for making the most out of them.

3) O-Line: Retooled line for the most part played pretty well, particularly in the first half. Brown certainly wasn't perfect but he played pretty well for a guys first NFL start...and especially for a 7th round pick. Might be something there. We'll see. Will Kilgore back and Davis possibly returning, maybe O-Line isn't as big a need as we originally thought. Maybe.

4) McDonald: The dude is maddening. One week he looks like he and the ball are repelling each other like magnets and the next week he shows off the speed and power that got him drafted in the first place. He just runs past LBs and he accelerates after the catch like few TEs can. I just don't know where to go with him. The guy has all the physical ability you'd want and is a fine blocker...but those hands man. Those hands.

5) Ian Williams: Must resign him. Starting to become dominant player. Would be a shame to see him walk away now.

6) Carradine: I may have finally given up on Tank. There were a few times he just ran past the play and then got rolled over. I had such high hopes for him, but I think its getting close to time to cut the cord.

7) Offsides: W.T.F.

8) Hodges: I like this guy a lot. I think he's the long-term starter beside Bowman. His speed is fantastic and he gets to the sideline SOOOO fast. Nobody is going to be PW52, but I think Hodges might be a very good compliment to Bowman.

9) Bowman: He missed a few tackles there, but he really looks like he's getting all the way back. I don't see him favoring that knee nearly as much. Great accomplishment to come back and make the Pro Bowl. Luv ya Bo.

10) Almost over: This nightmare offseason and season are almost over. Only one more week before things could possibly start to change. I have no idea if they will actually pull the trigger, but the process of starting that slow climb back can start in one short week. I can only hope this is a positive offseason and nothing like last year.
own it, fix it , move on ..ok
Carradine looked really bad yesterday.
Originally posted by 16to87:
own it, fix it , move on ..ok

"I don't know how to fix it..."
Tough season.
Carradine will enter his contract year next season, thus cutting him (early) is useless.
I agree that Hodges and Bowman look like the starters moving forward. Williams has been consistently dominant all season. I am disappointed that we didn't resign him beofre this point. We'll have to dig deep to prevent him from reaching FA now. After rewatching, I'm a little less impressed with Brown, as he missed the backside block a few times on zone runs away, and the play was blown up by his guy. He fixed it by cutting on the backside later in the game, and that was effective. Tiller impressed me quite a bit, and greatly improved my confidence in him going forward. He was MUCH more effective on zone runs than he had been at any point previously in the season. Harris's big runs were largely zone runs to the left.
  • thl408
Not impressed by Hodges. Timid to fill the hole, doesn't understand underneath zones. Fast but doesn't understand his role within the defense, sounds like another Nick Moody. My thoughts are on him are on the season. Didn't watch him versus DET.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Marvin49:

3) O-Line: Retooled line for the most part played pretty well, particularly in the first half. Brown certainly wasn't perfect but he played pretty well for a guys first NFL start...and especially for a 7th round pick. Might be something there. We'll see. Will Kilgore back and Davis possibly returning, maybe O-Line isn't as big a need as we originally thought. Maybe.

4) McDonald: The dude is maddening. One week he looks like he and the ball are repelling each other like magnets and the next week he shows off the speed and power that got him drafted in the first place. He just runs past LBs and he accelerates after the catch like few TEs can. I just don't know where to go with him. The guy has all the physical ability you'd want and is a fine blocker...but those hands man. Those hands.

We'd be best off IMO if we can come away with a LT to groom and a QB in the first two rounds of the draft. Leave Staley at LT, and let a returning AD compete with Brown at RT. Inside you take your drafted LT and have him compete for the LG spot with maybe Thomas and Martin while you sign a vet to push Tiller and Silberman for the RG spot. You can actually flip flop who competes where at G with Tiller, Martin, Silberman and Thomas. Also need a backup center.

As for Vance and the TE position...as I posted in the VMcD thread :

sign a vet to compete with Vance, Celek, Bell and Busta. With Bell and Busta needing development, a vet would likely help us more now than another rookie would...let them all compete for their roster spots. Would be nice if Busta could sneak onto the PS for one more year and Bell holds one roster spot leaving the other 3 more experienced guys fighting for what will probably be only 2 spots.

Of course another high priority is upgrading the pass rush somehow, likely in FA. The back end would greatly benefit from getting some more help with guys who can get home. We can only hope that Wilkerson hits the market and Baalke can land him...maybe call Justin and take a page from the Nolan playbook and have him get a helicopter tour.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran

10) Almost over: This nightmare offseason and season are almost over. Only one more week before things could possibly start to change. I have no idea if they will actually pull the trigger, but the process of starting that slow climb back can start in one short week. I can only hope this is a positive offseason and nothing like last year.

Nothing is really going to change. Tomsula will be brought back and I bet Geep Chryst will be fired only to be replaced with either Steve Logan or Tony Sparano. So next year will be a copy of this year.

Originally posted by Jcool:

Nothing is really going to change. Tomsula will be brought back and I bet Geep Chryst will be fired only to be replaced with either Steve Logan or Tony Sparano. So next year will be a copy of this year.

Possible...but at least we'll know in a few weeks here.

Let's wait and see. Still possible that they could bring in a more prove OC, like Whisenhunt, and promise him a lot of power and Tomsula's job in 2017 for example.
Possible...but at least we'll know in a few weeks here.

Next year, the team will be good, bad or somewhere in between. The important thing is we'll know!

[ Edited by crake49 on Dec 28, 2015 at 11:38 AM ]

Yup just more rearranging of the deck chairs on the Titanic. Some positive fans will buy it again but will be proven wrong again.
Gabbert needs an entire offseason to work with the offense and he should be given a shot. We can draft a QB in the later rounds because none of the 1st round guys are going to be better than Gabbert is right now.

The draft needs to be focused on the pass rush. I like Armstead and Williams in there with another premier pass rusher opposite Aaron Lynch.
Share 49ersWebzone