There are 226 users in the forums

The York's have FIRED the last two WINNING Coaches

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by joaosoarrs99:
Teams fire coaches that doesn't win Super Bowls even if they can get to the playoffs in a regular basis.

Look at the Broncos last offseason.

Yeah, but the Broncos transition has gone a tad bit smoother than ours lol. They have a winning record, a better coaching staff, and continue to field a talented roster.

I tried very hard to give York/Baalke the benefit of the doubt. That Tomsula would be a good HC, Baalke's roster moves would pan out, and we'd keep winning. But it hasn't happened, so it'd be downright stubborn and in denial to give these guys any kind of pass. They've made big mistakes.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by mitpdub:
Originally posted by Janitor:
It seriously doesn't make any sense. You have a coach that just took you to the playoffs (mooch) and you fire him.

Then you have a coach who took you to 3 NFCCG's in a row, who has one "Jeff Fisher Deluxe" season, and you fire him.

In the interim you hold on to coaches who go 2-4 seasons without a wining record.

*brain melts*

TO had a very huge influence on that...not that it helps. Fans were also upset at Mooch's conservative offense

If Moochs offense was conservative, what kind of offense do we have now ? I would take his offense in a heartbeat because at least it's watchable.

You're getting mooch's offense right now, just not the players

But I thought this team was deeper and more talented than in 2014. I know I read that somewhere here in Niner Talk. Somewhere. It was stated very matter-of-factly.
Originally posted by PrisonOfGlass:
Originally posted by mitpdub:
It seriously doesn't make any sense. You have a coach that just took you to the playoffs (mooch) and you fire him.

Then you have a coach who took you to 3 NFCCG's in a row, who has one "Jeff Fisher Deluxe" season, and you fire him.

In the interim you hold on to coaches who go 2-4 seasons without a wining record.

*brain melts*

TO had a very huge influence on that...not that it helps. Fans were also upset at Mooch's conservative offense

If Moochs offense was conservative, what kind of offense do we have now ? I would take his offense in a heartbeat because at least it's watchable.

You're getting mooch's offense right now, just not the players

But I thought this team was deeper and more talented than in 2014. I know I read that somewhere here in Niner Talk. Somewhere. It was stated very matter-of-factly.

Probably
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Aren't you quite the detective

I lol'd
Teams fire coaches that doesn't win Super Bowls even if they can get to the playoffs in a regular basis.

And that was stupid too. They're already worse this year than they were last year, and next year they most likely dissolve because Elway went for the "all or nothing" approach the last 2 years.

They are worse this year because Manning had a huge step back.
Originally posted by SofaKing:

Yeah, but the Broncos transition has gone a tad bit smoother than ours lol. They have a winning record, a better coaching staff, and continue to field a talented roster.

I tried very hard to give York/Baalke the benefit of the doubt. That Tomsula would be a good HC, Baalke's roster moves would pan out, and we'd keep winning. But it hasn't happened, so it'd be downright stubborn and in denial to give these guys any kind of pass. They've made big mistakes.

I was just trying to say that you can fire a coach that just had a winning record and still make it to the playoffs.

I agree with almost everything you said.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Those wins were not classy enough.
Originally posted by susweel:
Those wins were not classy enough.

We need a QB who throws with his pinky out.
it is very disturbing on how our owners operate when they fired mooch i was pissed. this how these owners are going to roll? and a decade later yep it is. they are cowards and losers.
Originally posted by PrisonOfGlass:
We need a QB who throws with his pinky out.

Lol

Broncos knew they had a small window to win a ring so they got rid of Fox for a coach who could hopefully bring in a running game to Manning's passing. It was basically Elway trying to recreate him and Shanahan. Indy will likely fire their coach right now because he's failed to win a ring despite a lot of regular season success. We're not the only ones who get caught chasing the ring and sometimes it pans out and other times it's the end. In Tampa's case they won the ring and then collapsed immediately afterwards.
Yorks don't like winning. They like low paid, yes men who know their place and won't challenge authority or rock the fragile ship.
I was just trying to say that you can fire a coach that just had a winning record and still make it to the playoffs.

I agree with almost everything you said.

• Jcool
  • Veteran
Seriously, think about this.

The York's took over control of this team in 2000. Steve Mariucci was the coach. Mooch had already led us to two great records (13-3, 12-4) with a couple poor years too (4-12, 6-10, which mostly fall on the death of Steve Young ).

After taking control of the team Mooch led the 49ers to two more great seasons, finishing 12-4 and 10-6. After losing in the playoff divisional round to the Bucs, Mooch was fired. AFTER LEADING THE TEAM TO 4 PLAYOFF SEASON IN 6 YEARS.

The 49ers would then go 8 seasons without sniffing a winning record. Lesson learned right? WRONG!

Jim Harbaugh is hired, leads the 49ers to 3 STRAIGHTS NFCCG'S! Has a down season of 8-8, and is FIRED!

Find me another team in the league where the last two successful coaches were fired in the midst of success. I dare you.

Denver fired Shannahan and John Fox after he went 12-4 after the year before being in the Superbowl.

Oakland fired Tom Cable after taking them from 5-11 to 8-8 and then fired Hue Jackson who had the same 8-8 record. No Raiders team has got close to that record till this year.

Mike Holmgren resigned in GB. The next season Ray Rhodes goes 8-8 and is fired. They hire Mike Sherman who goes 53-26 and is fired after a 4-12 season.

Dennis Green was 97-62 in Minnesota, including 5 straight playoff appearances. He is fired after a down year of 5-10. Mike Tice was the replacement and finished with a .500 or better record his last 3 season but Minnesota allowed his contract to expire and was not brought back. The next coach Brad Childress went 22-10 from 08-09 with a 1-2 playoff record. He was fired after 11 weeks in the 2010 season.

Mike Ditka in Chicago had gone 11-5 in the 90 & 91 seasons. He was fired in 1992 after a 5-11 season. Lovie Smith was fired after going 10-6 in his last season.

Dallas gets rid of Jimmy Johnson after winning there second Superbowl. They hire Barry Switzer to replace him and he wins another Superbowl. He is then fired two years later after a 6-10 season. His replacement Chan Gailey is fired after two season even though both years they made they playoffs. After the failure of Dave Campo, Dallas hires Bill Parcells who after making the playoffs in his last year as coach "retires" only to take the job as the Vice President of Football Operations of the Miami Dolphins.

But the Broncos didn't hire their LB coach to take over. You can't say you're trying to upgrade and win a Super Bowl when you hire a low rank assistant from within. Bringing in Gruden to take over from Dungy is cashing in for a ring. What we did is plain idiocy.
Share 49ersWebzone