LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 208 users in the forums

Game #15 The Good, Bad, Ugly

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • dj43
Originally posted by NCommand:
The good:

Every game this year is for next year's off season puzzle/moves so...

Baalke is finding RB's off the streets like DB's now. With Hyde healed up, Draughn and Harris, this group could be legit. Maybe even Hayne too now that we own his rights too.

So you're telling me if we get Devey and Martin out of the lineup and we insert Tiller, Kilgore and Brown, we could open up huge holes and pass protect and look like a professional offense? Odd. Those 3 are big for us (pun intended) going forward.

Gabbert. Man, when this guy has ANY running game (vs the predicable run-run-pass-punt offense) and less predictability, he can make any throw.

McDonald redeemed himself and he needed that. Nobody can stay with this guy or cover him. His issue is concentration. Period. Let's hope that's just youth and correctable.

T.Smith is legit. If we get a Z WR opposite him, this could be fun.

Hodges has been an absolute steal and continues to get better each game.

Dontae Johnson on Megatron. 1 catch, 8 yards in the first half. Think about that for a second.

Pinion had a nice game but I don't understand why we're not asking him to kick everything out of the back of the EZ anymore everytime.

Reid remembering he's a S and can lay the wood. I liked his leadership to gather the boys and fire them up pre game. We need that.

Thank you.
Originally posted by joaosoarrs99:

The ugly:
-Geep Chryst is a pathetic play caller. Even if you give the OC job to a 10 year old who thinks understand everything about football because he plays Madden the offense would suffer an huge upgrade.

This ... play calling is SO predictable and rudimentary. 1st down: Run 95% of the time, nothing to short gain, maybe a loss. 2nd down: Run 75% of the time to set up a 3rd and 8. 3rd down: Finally call a pass (that everyone and their mother knows is coming now) ... pressure requires a checkdown 5 yds short of the sticks, and NEVER designed to have any RAC. 4th down: Put our 5th rd draft pick to work.

It is truly hard to judge Gabbert with such a bad coaching staff. It would have been nice to have some concrete answers before the end of the year, but all we have is more questions. One answer should be CRYSTAL clear, Chryst should get his pink slip ASAP.
we played the lions and lost

idk how much you can take away from this game

lets see how we play next week against the Rams
[ Edited by ads_2006 on Dec 27, 2015 at 4:55 PM ]
Originally posted by theauviper:
Originally posted by Drift:
So was this an intentional second half tank?

I'm almost thinking it was.

No question. One of the more obvious tanks I've ever seen.

Someone didn't tell Boldin though.

How was this an obvious tank? As opposed to abysmal coaching.
Originally posted by dj43:
GOOD: Impressed by Brown. I re-watched numerous plays just to see how he did - he did well. There were a couple of times where the coordination over who was going to block who was obviously lacking but the guy has talent. He may be the answer for next season - save a high draft pick.

Staley had a Staley game - solid as usual.

Harris ran well. Made good decisions.

Hayne showed power on several runs. Not quite as decisive on others but overall showed to be a better runner inside than he was in PS.

I am also going to put Gabbert here because he made some very good throws into tight windows - TD to McD, long pass to Ellington, etc. However, overall, he showed he is at least the bridge QB to whoever will be the next guy. That is why I put him in the "good" category.

Defense in general. Detroit has talent but does not always put it together. The D held the Lions without a TD in the second half despite being on the field for more than twice the time Detroit's D was.

BAD: OL coordination. Early they opened some running lanes but also gave up way to many pressures against a defense that is not all that much.

Receivers, with the exception of Boldin, just didn't show up again. Part of it is coaching but part is the reality that they just aren't very good. They don't win the 1-on-1 match-ups.

UGLY: Mental errors cost any chance of a win. You can't play well if you don't have your brain connected to your body. No excuse. Hold the staff accountable.

Nice post man!
Originally posted by BodhiPaddlesOut:

That's a possibility but it seemed a bit too fishy as was the timing...the personnel moves they were making and sudden opposite scheme changes.
Originally posted by Bluesbro:
This ... play calling is SO predictable and rudimentary. 1st down: Run 95% of the time, nothing to short gain, maybe a loss. 2nd down: Run 75% of the time to set up a 3rd and 8. 3rd down: Finally call a pass (that everyone and their mother knows is coming now) ... pressure requires a checkdown 5 yds short of the sticks, and NEVER designed to have any RAC. 4th down: Put our 5th rd draft pick to work.

It is truly hard to judge Gabbert with such a bad coaching staff. It would have been nice to have some concrete answers before the end of the year, but all we have is more questions. One answer should be CRYSTAL clear, Chryst should get his pink slip ASAP.

Totally. You can see defenses stacking more and more because of this as well.

That's a possibility but it seemed a bit too fishy as was the timing...the personnel moves they were making and sudden opposite scheme changes.

Ohhh. Okay.

So draft position is not worthless.
  • Dingo
  • Veteran

If the CS weren't quite as incompetent. A complex conspiracy with convincing execution?
Originally posted by Ohio49er:
It's a funny thing to sit there on the couch where I've watched so many great, good, mediocre and bad 49ers teams play and feel nothing. No excitement, no anger, no happiness, no sadness. NOTHING. I might as well be watching the Tennessee Titans for as little I care about these 49ers.

Congratulations Jim Tomsula, Trent Baalkie and Jed York. You finally have dragged this team so far down I can't even work up the energy to care anymore.

And I'm not a fairweather fan or any of that jive. I came on board just before Joe Montana emerged and remember well when total zeroes like J.T. O'Sullivan were starting at quarterback, so I've seen sucky QB play. But after you've seen Montana, Young and even Kapernick, how am I supposed to get hyped over Blaine Gabbert and whatever scraps they cobble together around him and call a team?

I can't. I won't.

One more game. Thank you, Galactus.

This.

The good:

Baalke is finding RB's off the streets like DB's now. With Hyde healed up, Draughn and Harris, this group could be legit. Maybe even Hayne too now that we own his rights too.

So you're telling me if we get Devey and Martin out of the lineup and we insert Tiller, Kilgore and Brown, we could open up huge holes and pass protect and look like a professional offense? Odd. Those 3 are big for us (pun intended) going forward.

Gabbert. Man, when this guy has ANY running game (vs the predicable run-run-pass-punt offense) and less predictability, he can make any throw.

McDonald redeemed himself and he needed that. Nobody can stay with this guy or cover him. His issue is concentration. Period. Let's hope that's just youth and correctable.

Dontae Johnson on Megatron. 1 catch, 8 yards in the first half. Think about that for a second.

Pinion had a nice game but I don't understand why we're not asking him to kick everything out of the back of the EZ anymore everytime.

Reid remembering he's a S and can lay the wood. I liked his leadership to gather the boys and fire them up pre game. We need that.

Lol, all you saw was good? You know we lost, right? No mention of the sacks, Gabbert fumble on their one yard line. The fact that we had negative 3 yards rushing in the second half and made no adjustments while Detroit figured us out. Gabbert running out of bounds before the LOS. A two yard pass when we needed 3. Constant Checkdown. Etc.

Come on man.
[ Edited by Rubberneck36 on Dec 27, 2015 at 5:21 PM ]
Fifty year fan and Im very upset with owners, management and poor coaching. Ive seen bad teams, but the lack of competence is staggering now. Only way to turn things around is for Yorks to sell or take back control from Jed.
The good:

Johnson wasn't strictly covering Megatron in the first half we only have our corners play one side. Megatron was lining up everywhere and then dropped a potential 25 yarder. I don't think we shut him down or anything.
Ohhh. Okay.

So draft position is not worthless.

Not this late. Go for it! Lol.

Think we're #5 now?
Originally posted by CullyInTheHouse:
Johnson wasn't strictly covering Megatron in the first half we only have our corners play one side. Megatron was lining up everywhere and then dropped a potential 25 yarder. I don't think we shut him down or anything.

True but they were trying to get Megatron off Dontae by moving him over to Brock.
Share 49ersWebzone