LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 209 users in the forums

Viable QB options for 2016

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Bobdawg78:
I agree, if Tomsula is kept for next year, we might as well just skip an early QB, roll with Gabbert+FA+Rookie, and use our draft this year, to get BPA, and hopefully add more picks for next year. This way if we stink in 2016, we will be looking for a new HC, with hopefully a high draft pick for ourselves, plus what the picks we added through trade in this years draft. This way the new HC can have a say in, 'HIS" QB, whether it be by draft or FA.

That would delay or reboot the rebuilding IMO.
Maybe, but why draft QB X with Tomsula, then if we get rid of Tomsula, our new HC better run a similar style that fits the 1st round QB we just picked, otherwise we have a bright and shiny new QB that doesn't fit what our new HC runs?
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Rascal:
Miss or hit we will still have to take a QB in the 1st, there is just no way around it. This is especially true if we were to attract future HC candidates to the 9ers, noone with the right mind would come to a team without a decent QB especially when the guy will have to work for Baalke and York.

I don't know where you came up with the numbers of 2 years vs 5 years from. But, I am pretty sure it will take more than 2 years with or without Goff whichever way you slice it. But, i do agree ideally it would be better to groom Goff behind a vet for a year.

This isn't a really good qb class. Imo. So I don't even like Goff, I like lynch more. But either way I heard Brent Jones say 2 years. I just know if Goff flops, we're in the same boat in 5 years. If we draft a game changer in the first round and a qb 2nd or 3rd. Then we're talkin
Originally posted by Bobdawg78:
Maybe, but why draft QB X with Tomsula, then if we get rid of Tomsula, our new HC better run a similar style that fits the 1st round QB we just picked, otherwise we have a bright and shiny new QB that doesn't fit what our new HC runs?

Hire a President of Footbasll Operations who does not answer to anyone regarding anything football related and who has final say on all football matters and let him pick a GM, then they can pick a coach and a staff and then they can all pick a QB.
That is the best way to fix things IMO.
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
That would delay or reboot the rebuilding IMO.

No if we nab a qb in the first and they flop that's the worst case scenario. If we get one of the two dlineman, or tunsil, or treadwell, or the mlb. And draft a qb in 2nd or 3rd, that speeds up rebuild
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by fan49:
This isn't a really good qb class. Imo. So I don't even like Goff, I like lynch more. But either way I heard Brent Jones say 2 years. I just know if Goff flops, we're in the same boat in 5 years. If we draft a game changer in the first round and a qb 2nd or 3rd. Then we're talkin

Agree, plus a rookie qb and tomsula as HC... forget it
  • Rascal
  • Veteran

Without a decent QB, you will have no game changer. Even if you don't draft Goff and the team does even worse next year and we fire Tomsula and Baalke, the new HC coming in will still draft a QB. You can't stop this from happening, do you understand? But, if you were to do that, you better hope and pray we will end up worse than our current record this year in order to secure an even better draft position. If we can draft Deshaun Watson in 2017, I might not mind it too much. The problem is it will be too far and too much to predict that in happening. The truth of the matter is this is the hand that we have been dealt, one, we don't have a franchise QB anymore and two we will be drafting high enough in the 1st to take a legit QB.
  • Jason
  • Veteran
But guys, if we draft a rook to play QB then Jed will have something else to point to when Tomsula sucks again. Then Jed will give Tomsula another year (after next season) because rookie QBs take time to develop!
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Jason:
But guys, if we draft a rook to play QB then Jed will have something else to point to when Tomsula sucks again. Then Jed will give Tomsula another year (after next season) because rookie QBs take time to develop!

As bad as Jed York is, I don't think he will have the guts to keep Tomsula for a 3rd year if we suck as bad as this year or worse with or without a rookie QB.
[ Edited by Rascal on Dec 22, 2015 at 8:33 PM ]
Man, this sh*t is funny. OK, so there are no FA QB in the market then. Well, Jared Goff it is then!

Maybe Goff can be a good qb. I doubt it but maybe. But a 1st on a qb especially this year is scary. If we miss rebuild will be 5 years opposed to 2. And if we do get Goff or lynch they need to sit for 1 or 2 years and learn not play periof

Say we go Jaylon Smith, or Tunsil, or Nkemdiche in the first. We can fix our lines and all of these other things that sound great, but if you don't have a QB, you don't have a shot. We ave to at least make the attempt. Considering we have 11 picks and most are at the top of each round, I don't think its unrealistic to expect three immediate and regular contributors out of this draft even if we take Goff with the first pick and he sits the entire season. I am truly a favor of the Bill Walsh plan of developing a QB. The draft isn't just one pick, which is something the people clamoring for O'Dell Beckham seem to forget.

• Janitor
  • HOF Food Reviews
Originally posted by Jason:

As bad as Jed York is, I don't think he will have the guts to keep Tomsula for a 3rd year if we suck as bad as this year or worse with or without a rookie QB.

He won't. There will be no justification. Even if we have a better but still losing record (7-9 for example), and we still look unprepared, even the worse owners would let him go. I'm hoping that this era is the Joe Thomas era of the current 49ers and we will find someone that can be a good coach AND a bright football mind.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Say we go Jaylon Smith, or Tunsil, or Nkemdiche in the first. We can fix our lines and all of these other things that sound great, but if you don't have a QB, you don't have a shot. We ave to at least make the attempt. Considering we have 11 picks and most are at the top of each round, I don't think its unrealistic to expect three immediate and regular contributors out of this draft even if we take Goff with the first pick and he sits the entire season. I am truly a favor of the Bill Walsh plan of developing a QB. The draft isn't just one pick, which is something the people clamoring for O'Dell Beckham seem to forget.

Exactly. And what's worse? We improve the team by some slight extent and move up to the middle of the pack, only then realize we need a proper QB. Oops, how are we supposed to do that then? The Redskins had to give Rams 3 x 1st and 1 x 2nd to move up from 6th to 2nd. If we end up in the teens, which means it will cost even more to move up to get that legit QB at the top of the 1st, basically meaning we won't be able to.
  • vaden
  • Veteran
The QB free agency list is a graveyard, aside from a few decent QBs who will be re-signed. We'll need to get lucky in the draft or somehow dupe a team into trading a good QB, which rarely happens.
  • Janitor
  • HOF Food Reviews
Originally posted by vaden:
The QB free agency list is a graveyard, aside from a few decent QBs who will be re-signed. We'll need to get lucky in the draft or somehow dupe a team into trading a good QB, which rarely happens.

You know what happened the last time Tolzien was on our roster?

We went to the motherf**king superbowl!

Been lost without him ever since.
Share 49ersWebzone