LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 246 users in the forums

Viable QB options for 2016

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Now that the Gabbert hype is over with, and Kaepernick is broken mentally, and somewhat physically, what is the best move for our 49ers heading into 2016?

I don't follow college football all that much, but from what I've gathered, there isn't a "sure thing" at the QB position. Even if there was, I don't think our coaching staff would be the most ideal situation for a Rookie QB to come into.

Are there any QB FAs that would be better than what we have now?
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
No.
I personally, would look to trade Kaepernick for what ever draft pick or picks we could get for him. I don't think we'll get too much, but I guarantee someone will trade for him. Blaine is probably the guy for next year, but we should look at a good value vet to come in and perhaps battle him for the spot. I'd look to draft a QB that we could develop in like the 3rd-5th round, depending on system fit, and over all talent of the QB.

This off season, we'll have a ton of money available, especially after moving Kaepernick. So I'd be looking at some young FA's at positions of need, and try and lock them in with some FRONT LOADED contracts. We're not going to be very good next year, so we might as well front load some contracts, so that when we start getting better a year or two down the road, that these FA's we sign right now, become cheaper as the contract goes along, instead of getting more expensive. Doing this would allow us to continue to have money to spend in FA, or give us the $$$ flexibility to resign guys, instead of having to pick and choose who we can afford to keep.
Alex Smith turned things around. I'm hoping the same for Kap
  • Janitor
  • HOF Food Reviews
Lord god Tolzien is a free agent next year
Brandon Doman/Cody Pickett
About the only guy out there worth anything that might make it to the street is Fitzpatrick.
Not looking like many very good options out there
Johnny Manziel is the next Tom Brady
Peyton manning

We may be able to trade for Mike Glennon.
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
About the only guy out there worth anything that might make it to the street is Fitzpatrick.

If he's the best FA QB, we might as well roll with what we've got.

I wouldn't be opposed to having Kaepernick and Gabbert fight it out in training and let the best man win, per se'
If we get a new Head Coach next year...then I'd prefer to keep Kaep and Gabbert and let them compete... draft a QB in the 3rd-5th round (I don't believe in Thompson).

if Tomsula is brought back, then I don't really care... we're going to be f**ked for the next few years. Will be cheering on Kaep and his new team's playoff run... and cheer/hoping for the best with our team, but won't have any expectations.
  • rdc1
  • Veteran
I doubt Kap will be back. I suspect that he wants to get out of SF as much as the FO might want to get rid of him before April 1.
I would find it funny, if we trade Kaepernick, and then sign RG3 to be the back up, with a chance to compete. He'd come cheap, and would probably actually push Gabbert a little.
Share 49ersWebzone