There are 203 users in the forums

Identifying the "Core Players" Defensive Edition

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I think we have way more talent on defense than we do on offense. Which is why it's shocking to me that the defense has been even worse than the offense, and the offense is a disgrace but at least they run the ball with decent success.

Looking at who should be considered part of the "core", I can't really say we've established one just yet. We got a bunch of young guys with potential, and some guys trying to earn new contracts.

Our only true "core" defensive player imo is Bowman, and injuries have derailed his career. I still think he can bounce back and be a great player. It's not a given, but its been done before.

Dial is nothing special, but signed long-term and is a decent player.

Young guys to develop into core players include DeFo and Robinson. I guess I'll include Armstead in this discussion as well, but he had a very disappointing season.

Guys who are solid but haven't yet earned contract extensions include Reid, Lynch, and Ward. We'd like these guys to step up and be core players, but they haven't reached that point yet.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
I think we have way more talent on defense than we do on offense. Which is why it's shocking to me that the defense has been even worse than the offense, and the offense is a disgrace but at least they run the ball with decent success.

Looking at who should be considered part of the "core", I can't really say we've established one just yet. We got a bunch of young guys with potential, and some guys trying to earn new contracts.

Our only true "core" defensive player imo is Bowman, and injuries have derailed his career. I still think he can bounce back and be a great player. It's not a given, but its been done before.

Young guys to develop into core players include DeFo and Robinson. I guess I'll include Armstead in this discussion as well, but he had a very disappointing season.

Guys who are solid but haven't yet earned contract extensions include Reid, Lynch, and Ward. We'd like these guys to step up and be core players, but they haven't reached that point yet.
I said before week one, it didn't matter who we had on defense... O'Neal would ruin it, he would run an aggressive stop the pass defense that cannot stop the run. Get a new DC and the defense would look worlds better
Originally posted by Matchuu84:
I said before week one, it didn't matter who we had on defense... O'Neal would ruin it, he would run an aggressive stop the pass defense that cannot stop the run. Get a new DC and the defense would look worlds better

Can't even stop the pass either. They've been lit up by Matt Barkley and Bryce Petty lol. O'Neil has got to go.
Originally posted by SofaKing:

I'm willing to give Armstead a pass on this season since he was dealing with an injury. He flashed at times. But yeah, probably hasn't shown enough on the field to be considered a core player.

Ward on the other hand has been outstanding. Buckner also has been impressive considering he's only a rookie.
Originally posted by blm7754:
Bump.....

Almost a year latter. Who are our core defensive players now?

My take.... based on age, talent, and on-field contributions:

Navorro Bowman
Jimmie Ward
DeForest Buckner
Eric Reid
Arik Armstead
Aaron Lynch
Quinton Dial
Rashard Robinson

I need to see more Ray-Ray, Tartt and Redmond. Might now have some depth with Chris Jones.

Hope to add Ian back some day too.

But no doubt, we need that NT, ILB and edge rusher to complete.

More importantly, need a veteran DC to bring them all together. Work on form and gang tackling.
[ Edited by NCommand on Dec 12, 2016 at 9:41 PM ]
Originally posted by jbeale49:
A defense doesn't need to be full of studs rather, a sum of all parts that elevate each other's play. That said, it starts with one and two dynamic players who get to play fast and aggressive. In the 3-4, one of those LB needs to create hell. It was Patrick Willis who gave away seamlessly to Bowman (Spikes can be credited here too) and we are searching for who is next. They aren't on this team at ILB and we were hoping Lynch was going to be our OLB. It's what has to be next for this defense. We have the draft pick to find him.

This player jumps off the screen and is as close to a sure thing as there is in the draft. K Mack and V Miller being top 3 players, this is what we are looking for. Even Vic Beasley looks to be rounding into the mold for ATL and his 13 sacks have a lot to do with their viability. Everyone gets better when this one piece is found, more so than any one defensive player. I like the thought of Lynch seeing those singles again as well.

I like the prospects of Ward or Robinson becoming very special with acquiring an elite pass rusher.

You sir, get it!
Wassup fellas, welcome back to a year later. Where 80-90% of what was said at the end of last year still hold true, unfortunately.

Coaches:
I'm sorry but about as much as the players want him back or think they want him back, Jim O has to go. Now those horrific defensive statistics are inflated due to the offense's ineptitude more so than the defenses, but still. There's no way around this we need a new D-Coordinator. Rex Ryan anyone?

DL:
We were going to be last in run D once NT Ian was found out to be hurt and Dorsey himself still coming off injury. I expect this position to be completely overhauled with at least 2 or 3 new bodies at NT. Where is Quintion Dial? This guy has been nonexistent. Depth at best. Armstead was hurt during Training Camp and never recovered, he still managed to make some spectacular plays before going out early on IR. Buckner is going to be a stud. Has some work to do but next year he could be really really good. Blair has been good and needs to be in on all pass downs. Overall C-

LB:
Of course Bowman but he's coming off a major injury again. So look at getting 2 starting caliber MLBs in the offseason, considering we still haven't replaced Willis and Borland from 2 years ago now. Don't even need to talk about the other MLB on the team as they are all garbage. OLB- sorry but again we need 2 starting caliber pass rushing OLBs. Brooks is gone after year, Lynch has one outside move and gets Pablo Sandoval fat every offseason. Harold has had one good/ okay game in 2 years=pass. And Tank is bad no matter where we put him. Grade F, would've been a D if Bo was healthy all season as he masks a lot of our D's problems. F.F.F

DBs:
The #'s may not say so but this group is legit. The rookie Robinson may be the best of the bunch when all said and done. He makes plays every game. Ward continues to get better every year and looks stronger and more experienced out there. He's still out of position and would be dynamite in a Hiney Badger role on D, but he is legit. Tartt is in a similar situation as Ward was in last year, a couple years in the league and the Jury is still out. Hopefully Tartt can turn the corner after Bethea is let go. Brock is good all game except for four plays and those four plays = 3 catches, 125 yards, 2 tds and a penalty for the opposition. Reid has actually regressed every year he's been in the league and should be cut this offseason for a minimal cap hit. DJ, Redmond and others are still unknowns. Grade B+

Core players;

Buckner
Armstead
Bowman
Ward
Robinson
Tartt

Not great but not bad there's some talent on D. I had 7 last year and I'm sure some will argue for Reid, Lynch, and such but I'm comfortable only labeling these 6 guys as core players.

Off-season needs in order
OLB- pass rush makes everything better
NT - has to be addressed
MLB- we need to cut everyone at this spot but Bo.
guys who are good enough to start: robinson, buckner, lynch and Ward. Bowman and armstead are huge question marks due to injury or unreached potential. That gives us 6 players MAX.
Buckner is a stud. Outside of that there's some pieces but it's mostly just passable starters or guys with glaring injury concerns.
Originally posted by D-Money:
Wassup fellas, welcome back to a year later. Where 80-90% of what was said at the end of last year still hold true, unfortunately.

Coaches:
I'm sorry but about as much as the players want him back or think they want him back, Jim O has to go. Now those horrific defensive statistics are inflated due to the offense's ineptitude more so than the defenses, but still. There's no way around this we need a new D-Coordinator. Rex Ryan anyone?

DL:
We were going to be last in run D once NT Ian was found out to be hurt and Dorsey himself still coming off injury. I expect this position to be completely overhauled with at least 2 or 3 new bodies at NT. Where is Quintion Dial? This guy has been nonexistent. Depth at best. Armstead was hurt during Training Camp and never recovered, he still managed to make some spectacular plays before going out early on IR. Buckner is going to be a stud. Has some work to do but next year he could be really really good. Blair has been good and needs to be in on all pass downs. Overall C-

LB:
Of course Bowman but he's coming off a major injury again. So look at getting 2 starting caliber MLBs in the offseason, considering we still haven't replaced Willis and Borland from 2 years ago now. Don't even need to talk about the other MLB on the team as they are all garbage. OLB- sorry but again we need 2 starting caliber pass rushing OLBs. Brooks is gone after year, Lynch has one outside move and gets Pablo Sandoval fat every offseason. Harold has had one good/ okay game in 2 years=pass. And Tank is bad no matter where we put him. Grade F, would've been a D if Bo was healthy all season as he masks a lot of our D's problems. F.F.F

DBs:
The #'s may not say so but this group is legit. The rookie Robinson may be the best of the bunch when all said and done. He makes plays every game. Ward continues to get better every year and looks stronger and more experienced out there. He's still out of position and would be dynamite in a Hiney Badger role on D, but he is legit. Tartt is in a similar situation as Ward was in last year, a couple years in the league and the Jury is still out. Hopefully Tartt can turn the corner after Bethea is let go. Brock is good all game except for four plays and those four plays = 3 catches, 125 yards, 2 tds and a penalty for the opposition. Reid has actually regressed every year he's been in the league and should be cut this offseason for a minimal cap hit. DJ, Redmond and others are still unknowns. Grade B+

Core players;

Buckner
Armstead
Bowman
Ward
Robinson
Tartt

Not great but not bad there's some talent on D. I had 7 last year and I'm sure some will argue for Reid, Lynch, and such but I'm comfortable only labeling these 6 guys as core players.

Off-season needs in order
OLB- pass rush makes everything better
NT - has to be addressed
MLB- we need to cut everyone at this spot but Bo.

Great post!

RDE: DeForest Bucker; Chris Jones & Tony Jerod Eddie
NT: Glenn Dorsey; Mike Purcell (Ian Williams)
LDE: Quinton Dial; Ronald Blair (Arik Armstead)

--- Good-bye TJE & Purcell. Maybe give Purcell one more off season to see if he's gotten any stronger. But both LDE Chris Jones and NT's Dorsey/Williams are must-resigns IF 100% healthy. Even with that said, I'd still sign a veteran. I'd go after Dontari Poe HARD...a 26 year old, 350 pound 2-gap wide-bodied NT? We've been missing a stud like this since we had a chance at Vince Wilfork. You put a beast like this in the middle of your 3-4 next to Armstead+Buckner plus Jones/Blair and the two ILB's behind them all are going to ball. You don't EVER want put yourself in a no-Williams, a 75% healthy Dorsey and starting Purcell situation again.

WILL: Ahmad Brooks; Eli Harold
TED: Michael Wilhoite; Gerald Hodges (Ray-Ray Armstrong)
MIKE: Nick Bellore; (Navarro Bowman & Shayne Skov)
SAM: Aaron Lynch; Tank Carradine

--- Even with Lynch back, instead of going with Brooks+Lynch, he remained with Harold. Just another reason O'Neil should be gone. Hodges showed a ton of passion last game and had a nice game overall. He's quality depth and I'd resign him. Good-bye to Tank, Skov, Wilhoite & Brooks (unless he restructures down a ton). Bellore is fine for ST. As always, we don't want to have to rely on the health of Bowman and Ray-Ray. We absolutely have to buy a free agent and draft another. There are 30+ free agent ILB's & OLB's, each, between the ages of 25-28 years old. Get two...three! Draft Garrett. Done! Front 7 fixed.

RCB: Jimmie Ward; Dontae Johnson
SLOT (S/CB): Keith Reaser; JaCorey Shepherd (Chris Davis & Will Redmond)
LCB: Rashard Robinson; Tramaine Brock
HYBRID S/ILB: Jaquiski Tartt; Marcus Cromartie & Marcus Ball (Eric Reid)
SS: Antoine Bethea; Vinnie Sunseri

--- There are also 30 CB's & S's on the market between the ages of 25-28 years old. Once Bethea & Brock are gone, this is a young, deep, legit group. Add a tall, long press CB outside and move Ward+Tartt to S. Or keep Robinson+Ward outside and go get a FS with wicked speed/range. Done. Let Reid walk. Walking around on the field half-assing it is all he's done for us the past two years in self-preservation mode. We'll get a comp pick for Reid. Screw him.
[ Edited by NCommand on Dec 16, 2016 at 4:38 PM ]

Share 49ersWebzone