LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 143 users in the forums

I can't believe no one got fired yet , what an inept franchise

Shop Find 49ers gear online
IMHO the only ways to get a top shelf coach here would be to either let him pick his GM or allow the HC to wear two hats and be the GM as well. No way an established HC walks into this mess without having a major voice in personnel going forward because Baalke isn't the answer at GM.
Man these reports that tomsula is likely to stay unless there is a nose dive is shocking.

Its like they are making PR moves instead of moves to better the team.

This basicAlly means next year is shot. We're not competing with tomsula at the helm. The next OC hire will be a disaster also.
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:
IMHO the only ways to get a top shelf coach here would be to either let him pick his GM or allow the HC to wear two hats and be the GM as well. No way an established HC walks into this mess without having a major voice in personnel going forward because Baalke isn't the answer at GM.

This and after this, THIS again.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Man these reports that tomsula is likely to stay unless there is a nose dive is shocking.

This basicAlly means next year is shot. We're not competing with tomsula at the helm. The next OC hire will be a disaster also.

I know right. Awful God Awful coaching and horrific results, empty empty stadium, no talent and no coaching and still not a single person fired, but Harbaugh gets canned after an 8-8 year in a lameduck scenario.
Ronnie, the answer is to offer the new OC the HC position. Now that means that first off the OC has to be one helluva OC. Also it means he is talented and smart enough, to run the entire team. This means a guy who is a great OC and has some experience, but is not now a HC. That would open up as possibilites, say 25 or so of the 31OCs out there. Right now i like OC at SEA, & Shula. The guy i really want already has a job and that is ARians. Anyway lot of talent out there, Pitts for example, and same goes for Panthers, but a good part of that success is having Cam. The day our season ends, assuming jed fires tomsula, we an start interviewing OCs for the HC/OC job. Ideally i woulid love to see the HC be the OC for a couple yrs at least. No chance of losing a great OC that way. Yes Payton is available, but i think he was successful with Brees....by himself wonder how he would have done.?

We're either going to be stuck with Geep Chrysts for extended amounts of time for consistency at worst, or one-and-done Norv Turners at best. Tomsula's lack of connections and a ground-and-pound offensive philosophy (as per Baalke) isn't going to attract anyone worthwhile.
If it's true that the ownership/Baalke suggested that Jim Harbaugh should get a new offensive coordinator when they were winning, but do nothing with this staff now . Geep hasn't had the best hand dealt, but he's had more to work with than Jim Hostler in 2007 and whoever our coordinator was in 2004 under Dennis Erickson.
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:

I know right. Awful God Awful coaching and horrific results, empty empty stadium, no talent and no coaching and still not a single person fired, but Harbaugh gets canned after an 8-8 year in a lameduck scenario.

And that 8-8 record was due to a tumultuous year where he knew from the start that he was being fired at the end of the year. And people wondered why they went 8-8? (Obviously he was a poor choach) I guess people here will give it their 100% if their bosses told them that they would be fired at the end of the year! NOT!

To make matters worse, the 8 years prior to the Jim Harbaugh era, they had ONE 8-8 record and the rest all under .500. Welcome back to the Singeltary, Nolan and Dennis Erickson era.

Guess who's having a WONDERFUL Christmas and chuckling under his breath!
[ Edited by Kauaiguy on Dec 24, 2015 at 4:38 PM ]
  • dj43
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by dj43:
I don't disagree with the hope for some of the young guys learning to play well. My point is that, right now, the exhibited talent on this team is not very good.

So in order to attract a talented HC and staff, they will have to be convinced of the potential of the young players as well as the ability of Baalke to bring in more. The past two seasons may have made me a bit overly skeptical but I don't think that is going to be an easy task.

Good point...Baalke is going to have to find some cornerstone FA's and say, "See, you can work with this, right?:"

You've got a bridge-QB at worst, outstanding RB/Miller (I'll get you more depth there) in Hyde/Draughn, TE's are legit for the WCO and running game now (I'll add a dynamic one in the draft), I'll get you that big-bodied ZWR opposite of T.Smith, lots of slot WR's to choose from, we already found Tiller and Brown on the OL and Kilgore is looking great so far...Staley is a lock, Davis might be back (we'll see about Boone), we're still developing Martin, Thomas and Silberman too (I'll add veterans here) and we can work on identifying a future Franchise QB together.

Then on defense, lots of youth and now, experience. We've got our eye on Tank/Harold for the WILL but I'll look to add a proven pass rusher too opposite Lynch. You have to like the way Dial, AA, Purcell and Williams have grown so quickly. Ward and Tartt are legit and Hodges is growing under his mentor Bowman very quickly (excited about him)...we've got multiple personnel for the backend too...if you want to run zone, we've got Acker and Brock and Reaser so far and if you want to run jam-press, we've got Johnson and Cromartie.

On ST, we still have Dawson (I'll get a challenger) and you have to love the upside of Pinion and McCray and the steady Nelson. We do need a returner but we've been developing Hayne and think he may have a future with us.

We've got a few more players in the holding bin too that we think might add to the mix. We're expecting big growth this off season. We've got lots of money and draft picks and all high draft picks.

Can you put the rest of this personnel together and add direction/vision? I'm all about upgrades this year! You can probably win quite a few games on defense right out of the gate, win the TOP and TO battle and with our power running game and efficient/smart QB. How many? That's up to you...year 3 will most likely when we make our run together. But it will give you time to implement your systems and player fits.

Older Veterans (Need to Find/Start Developing Replacements):
Z WR: Anquan Boldin (URFA)
LOT: Joe Staley
PK: Phil Dawson (URFA)

Veterans (Cornerstones):
FB: Bruce Miller
X WR: Torrey Smith
MIKE: Navarro Bowman
LS: Kyle Nelson

Veterans (?-Marks):
QB: Blaine Gabbert & Colin Kaepernick

Young (High-Ceiling Starters or Key Role-Player/Upside):
RB: Carlos Hyde (run) & Shaun Draughn (pass)
TE: Blake Bell (pass) Vance McDonald (blocking)
LG: Andrew Tiller
C: Daniel Kilgore
RDE: Quinton Dial
NT: Mike Purcell
LDE: Arik Armstead
TED: Gerald Hodges
WILL: Eli Harold
SAM: Aaron Lynch
RCB: Kenneth Acker & Marcus Cromartie
SLOT (S/CB): Jimmie Ward
LCB: Tramaine Brock & Dontae Johnson
FS: Eric Reid & L.J. McCray (Special Teams)
SS: Jaquiski Tartt
P: Bradley Pinion

Young (Need Evaluation):
QB: Dylan Thompson & McLeod Bethel-Thompson
RB: Mike Davis & DuJuan Harris
H-Back: Busta Anderson
Y WR (SLOT): DeAndrew White
Z WR: DeAndre Smelter & Dres Anderson
C: Ian Silberman
RG: Brandon Thomas
ROT: Trenton Brown
ELEPHANT: Tank Carradine
SLOT (S/CB): Keith Reaser

Free Agents (Keepers):
LG: Alex Boone (URFA)
NT: Ian Williams (URFA)
TE: Garrett Celek (URFA)

Future in Question:
RB: Reggie Bush (URFA) & Kendall Gaskins (ERFA)
X WR: Jerome Simpson
Y WR (SLOT): Bruce Ellington
Z WR: Quinton Patton
LG: Jordan Devey (ERFA)
RT: Erik Pears
RG: Marcus Martin
RDE: Tony Jerod Eddie (RFA)
LDE: Glenn Dorsey
WILL: Ahmad Brooks & Ray-Ray Armstrong (RFA)
TED: Michael Wilhoite (RFA)
MIKE: Shayne Skov & Nick Bellore
SAM: Corey Lemonier
RCB: Chris Davis
SS: Antoine Bethea

Nice write-up. You must be all ready for Christmas to spend this amount of time.

I agree this is the kind of conversation Baalke/GM must have with any HC candidate coming in. It begins with both parties having the knowledge and history of being able to develop players and signing/drafting other quality players.

It will require a great deal of salesmanship on the part of Baalke. It will also require a finely tuned eye for talent on the part of the incoming HC (assuming JT is gone).
  • dj43
Speaking of firing. If Baalke were cut loose, here is a nice summary of some GM candidates:

A couple I like are Chris Ballard, currently in KC. Also Jon Robinson of TB, a Belichick link. Duke Tobin has done a nice job bringing talent to Cincy.

Some in the up-an-comer rank: Scott Fitterer from Seattle has worked closely with John Schneider. May not be ready but his pedigree is good.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000608522/article/week-16-notebook-future-gms-odell-beckhams-rep-and-more

NC, 49ers FO must pay you for writing this. no offense, but i stopped reading after "TEs are legit".
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Ronnie, the answer is to offer the new OC the HC position. Now that means that first off the OC has to be one helluva OC. Also it means he is talented and smart enough, to run the entire team. This means a guy who is a great OC and has some experience, but is not now a HC. That would open up as possibilites, say 25 or so of the 31OCs out there. Right now i like OC at SEA, & Shula. The guy i really want already has a job and that is ARians. Anyway lot of talent out there, Pitts for example, and same goes for Panthers, but a good part of that success is having Cam. The day our season ends, assuming jed fires tomsula, we an start interviewing OCs for the HC/OC job. Ideally i woulid love to see the HC be the OC for a couple yrs at least. No chance of losing a great OC that way. Yes Payton is available, but i think he was successful with Brees....by himself wonder how he would have done.?

I looked up Payton and was surprised to find that he got 3K seasons out of Quincy Carter, Vinny Testaverde and Drew Bledsoe so you know he can work with different QB's. The only problem with any HC coming in is Jed and all the garbage he brings.
Share 49ersWebzone