LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 204 users in the forums

Let's talk 3rd down. What is going on?!?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
We throw short of the the down distance 95% of the time. In fact, in 3rd and long at this point I always expect a 3yrd pass and punt. Pathetic. Dump offs on 3rd down work for Tom Brady sometimes because 90% of the time he passes downfield past the sticks. We don't, everyone is sitting on the short stuff and it NEVER works.

For guys that are better with Xs and Os:

- Is Gabbert just insta-checking down or is it bad play calling?

If I was the OC, if Gabbert checked down on 3rd down that much, I would call a play with zero check downs and everyone past the sticks.
Predictable play-calling and penalties on 1st and 2nd down put us in constant 3-and-long situations.
I'll get flamed for this but oh well...

The one unit that seems to get a pass and never gets called out is our receiving corp. Hear me out on this one. Yes our offensive line has struggled as have our QBs but the one consistent thorn in our sides is that our receivers struggle to get open.

I think in this point in his career, I could cover Boldin! Torrey Smith? His speed does not translate well to getting open in small spaces and he's not exactly a stellar route runner. Patton and Ellington have flashed talent and they don't make plays on a regular basis.

To add insult to injury, under the Kaepernick era, the playbook was purposely watered down and our receivers still run simplistic and predictable routes. Now it does look like Blaine is attempting to throw some timing patterns but our receivers are not hitting their spots and the timing is way off.

So it's kind hard to move the chains when nobody is getting open!

Sigh...adding Smelter into the mix next year should help. He'll be our new Boldin (fingers crossed). But we are not out of the woods yet. This squad needs either an infusion of talent via free agency and/or the draft. Guess we'll have to leave it to Baalke to draft a WR (shudder the thought). Luckily, this years draft features some depth at this position so help should be forthcoming for next year.
[ Edited by pete98146 on Dec 21, 2015 at 3:17 PM ]
Playing for field position
Bad 3rd downs ate usually set up by piss poor 1st and 2nd downs
  • Kense
  • Veteran
Coaching and QB are at fault.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Gabbert has been captain check down his entire career.
I think our WR's suck. Gabbert hits his drop and looks and the receiver probably is out or late on his route or covered. Considering the OL, I think Gabbert is also quick to check down rather than trying to stay in the pocket and let things develop more.

But it all starts with the OL and Gabberts confidence in it.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
are you not impressed with a 2 yard pass on 3rd and 10?
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by Joecool:
I think our WR's suck. Gabbert hits his drop and looks and the receiver probably is out or late on his route or covered. Considering the OL, I think Gabbert is also quick to check down rather than trying to stay in the pocket and let things develop more.

But it all starts with the OL and Gabberts confidence in it.

Joe is gabbert better than alex in your opinion

Share 49ersWebzone