There are 223 users in the forums

Lets settle this talk once and for all. QB Topic

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Would love to see the next coach come in here and roll with Kaep just to see the meltdown on here.
It's a new world in the NFL, the powers that be believe high scoring means bigger profits. A QB can't be hit above the shoulders or below the knees. When a QB gets hit in the chest his head goes back, another penalty. These tiny 160lb. receivers are running free because if you lay a pinky on them it becomes a penalty. Hello flag football. It is no longer the sport I grew up with.
Originally posted by Blindfury:
Would love to see the next coach come in here and roll with Kaep just to see the meltdown on here.

Guess who's back? Back again. BF's back. Tell a friend. Guess who's back, guess who's back, guess who's back...
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Dear lord man, who said it would? It's a piece, albeit a major piece. And in today's NFL teams aren't winning consistently without a QB, and not just some stop-gap, just "good enough" either. He don't have to be Payton Manning or Tom Brady (because many here loves to bring them up on points like this) but it will not be with essentially backups either, a Gabbert or a Glennon. Sure, good coaching and good defenses are needed pieces, pieces we clearly suffer for not having. But if you have good coaching and a good defense, but bad QB play, you're still loosing. Coaches can't play, and defense can't play offence. Good QB play keeps bad defenses off the field. Good QB play covers up coaching deficiencies.

I am NOT a fan of this coaching staff. To me they are a bunch of fallback options who have no clue what they are doing. But using your (and other on here) argument - coaching needs to be fixed first - one could ask: then why even bother with drafting until the Dorks come around to the obvious, to what everybody but them knows, that they made a mistake with Jimmy T. & Co.? After all if this bunch cannot coach and evaluate talent effectively what make us think they'll be able to draft effectively? Why not just wait until Jimmy T. & Co. prove to the Dorks that they can't coach. Now I know that's ridiculous, but that's where the logic takes me. Jimmy T. isn't going anywhere. So IMHO not drafting what this team needs because the coaching staff is terrible isn't a good approach. Jimmy T. will have another year but I doubt he gets another one. We might as well draft for what this team needs and let the coaches stand on their own merit.

Bottom line is that we need to draft the best players that THIS team needs. I know, I know, "best player available" is quite popular around here. It's actually unpopular around here to draft based on what the team actually needs. IMHO, that logic isn't good because it requires little to no thought. Not saying that's you, just speaking generally.

With a team that has so many holes I'm cool with going BPA at the top of its QB so be it..
Well, we differ. And I don't think we have the talent hole you may think. We're not devoid of talent. We do have the pieces to be much better than 4-9. This teams largest problems are:

-Poor ownership
-Poor coaching
-Poor QB talant
-Poor QB play

In that order! Firing JH was a damning decision for this team. But hiring Jimmy T. compounded that decision even more. And that has lead to bad player evaluation, which has lead to starting substandard talent, which has lead to mismatched scheme/player combo, which has lead to poor and excessively conservative playcalling, which has lead to poor play on the field.

They say that "s@#t rolls down hill". That statement cannot be more exemplified than with the 2015 San Francisco 49ers. I guarantee you that a better coaching staff could have at least coached this team to 8-8 and at least in the post season discussion. This coming draft is much deeper in OL than in QB, and 2017's crop of QB's coming out looks to be worse. Drafting one of the top QB 3 QB talents this season in the first sets this team up for 2017, assuming Jimmy T. sticks to his developmental habit and let him be bridged in. We can find starters along the O-line all the way into the 3rd round this next draft. But not at QB.
Gab has been in the NFL for like 5 years now and never once showed any talent,this dude isn't going to wake up one day and magically become a good player

Settled yet?
Originally posted by Blindfury:

Good to know you don't give a sh*t about the niners. At least that's what this post says. But most of your post history had already implied such things so I'm not surprised
Originally posted by SundayTicket:
Good to know you don't give a sh*t about the niners. At least that's what this post says. But most of your post history had already implied such things so I'm not surprised

I would love to see the trolls and the "anyone but Kaep" crowd have to endure watching the team win with him and a new coach. IF there was a superior QB on the team, I'd have no problem with him playing in favor of Kaep. But at this point there isn't. Gabbert is a Troy Smith where despite all of his limitations and poor play, he was being supported by many because he wasn't Alex. Well, Gabbert isn't Kaep so we'll just ignore the poor play and the regression.

It is interesting that supporting a player on the team means you don't care about the team, well what about supporting a player who isn't on the team? IMO questioning anyone's fanship is silly, petty and typically trollish.
[ Edited by Blindfury on Dec 20, 2015 at 12:31 AM ]
If it was raining for two weeks and a brown dog passed by and the sun come out,some people think it was the brown dog that stopped the rain.
Same thing quarter back who walks in and the team starts to win.
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Well, we differ. And I don't think we have the talent hole you may think. We're not devoid of talent. We do have the pieces to be much better than 4-9. This teams largest problems are:

-Poor ownership
-Poor coaching
-Poor QB talant
-Poor QB play

In that order! Firing JH was a damning decision for this team. But hiring Jimmy T. compounded that decision even more. And that has lead to bad player evaluation, which has lead to starting substandard talent, which has lead to mismatched scheme/player combo, which has lead to poor and excessively conservative playcalling, which has lead to poor play on the field.

They say that "s@#t rolls down hill". That statement cannot be more exemplified than with the 2015 San Francisco 49ers. I guarantee you that a better coaching staff could have at least coached this team to 8-8 and at least in the post season discussion. This coming draft is much deeper in OL than in QB, and 2017's crop of QB's coming out looks to be worse. Drafting one of the top QB 3 QB talents this season in the first sets this team up for 2017, assuming Jimmy T. sticks to his developmental habit and let him be bridged in. We can find starters along the O-line all the way into the 3rd round this next draft. But not at QB.

We agree poor Coching hasn't helped and that's the 1st thing that needs to be fixed. While I like a lot of the young talent we have we aren't even close to being good with just a QB change. The QB isn't allowing isaiah crowell to have career numbers, we are bottom of the league in sacks, Blaine got sacked 9xs last week! That's unacceptable for a OL.

If goff is the pick I can live with it but there are better players IMO that will be available that can helps this team just as much or if not more sooner.

• Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
TL:DR but a major reason we made it to those championship games and the SB was the offense being tailored around kap's abilities. Once teams figured out how to defend against the read option, kap was forced to become a real NFL QB which he was unable to do. The other major reason you can't overlook was a great defense. When bowman went down, the defense went down with him.
  • Buchy
  • Veteran
I'm not going to quote your first post but statistics without context are meaningless. You talk about the passing game in 2013 and 2014 and fail consider who we had at receiver.

In 2012 the switch to Kap was made because Alex could not convert 3rd and long (neither can Gabbert). When Kap came in our big plays and yards per attempt jumped massively as Moss and Vernon were threats deep and Walker and Crabs tore up the medium passing area.

2013 Moss and Walker were let go, Crabs and Manningham were injured and Vernon was in and out with injuries. That left one real receiver in Boldin and he ended up with his first 1000+ yard season in several years.

In 2014 we had 3 slot receivers in Crabs, Stevie and Anquan. Our "deep" threat was Lloyd, Vernon spraimed his mangina, so defenses just focused on short to medium. Only long TD was that blown coverage for Lloyd vs the Rams.

This season is just a cluster f**k. Our offense is so basic that the honey badger commented on it after the 1st Cards game. The reason Gabbert looks worse now is because the defenses have enough film on him to know how he tries to overcome it, which is to get rid of the ball short of the sticks.

Know why Kap looked s**t? Because he had to play behind an even worse line in a s**t scheme but he was trying to actually make something happen rather than throw the ball away or throw it well short and go 3 and out again. That's why we have so many more 3 and outs with Gabbert.

You haters got what you deserve, we've gone from a guy who was getting creamed (and was injured) and looking s**t for trying to make something happen to a guy who looks more competent (but still s**t) because he's happy to punt. In short we traded a guy who wanted to make something happen to win, to a guy who just wants to look average as he loses.
Put me down for the "We need to build the lines up first"....that's the camp I'm in. It doesn't matter who we have at QB if our O-line plays like it is now. We need help on both lines.....need to address them above all else.

And OP..... I think you were going for "past", not "passed".
Didn't the Seahawks win the SB in 2013?
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
TL:DR but a major reason we made it to those championship games and the SB was the offense being tailored around kap's abilities. Once teams figured out how to defend against the read option, kap was forced to become a real NFL QB which he was unable to do. The other major reason you can't overlook was a great defense. When bowman went down, the defense went down with him.

Agree

Also when Justin departed many shortcomings were exposed.

His pass rush and pressure made Aldon and made the secondary look a lot better than they were.
Share 49ersWebzone