LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 307 users in the forums

What was the best 49er team that didn't win the SB?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
This thread should have a "Nostalgia" banner on it. Or "Official Nostalgia".
Originally posted by SundayTicket:
Ehh i posted a long thread a little while ago kindve on my take on the whole situation of our stretch of good years and why i think it went the way that it did. I dont think its any surprise that our Defense/ST/Turnover rate/Run game all fall out of the top 10, and we are all of a sudden the worst team in football regardless of who the QB is. I would type some of it out but I typed so much of it already it would kill my brain lol needless to say our passing game during the entire stretch was ranked 30th twice, and like 29th and 23rd.

Defense also fell way off in the playoffs during our last run ('11-'13). It was basically a 16 ppg defense during the regular season and in the playoffs it ballooned up to 24 ppg. We only had one game in 8 where the defense held an opponent to under 20 (2013 Carolina). To compare during Seattle's run their defense was at 15 ppg during the regular season and 18 ppg in the playoffs.

Now, you'd except some increase in ppg given the competition, but our +8 seems too high. We know some can be attributed to injuries (Justin in '12), but I also think Vic small rotation wore the defenses down as the season wore a long.
[ Edited by Niners816 on Dec 19, 2015 at 3:41 AM ]
Originally posted by LayTheWoodall:
I went on a tour at Candlestick in January '14, and the allowed us on to the field for about 20 minutes.. When we walked on to the actual field, I could picture Alvin running up the field to the "TO/Vernon" end zone.

After reading each page of the thread i was too exhausted to say more. I felt beat up.

I did something similar when I walked on the Candlestick grass both for the good and the Alvin Harper.
Originally posted by Niners816:
IMO its one of the following:

-1987 (13-2; first in both Offense & Defense)
-1990 (14-2; going for the 3 peat, came 2 points short)
-1992 (14-2; gave Dallas game away with turnovers)
-1995 (11-5; missed steve for 5 games, started 5-4, then got scalding hot, but got derailed on Xmas eve at Atlanta, that Cost us homefield and set up a match up with GB)
-1998 (12-4; finally snapped the GB hold, I also believe if Hearst and BY don't suffer injuries we win SB33. Defense was ave to slightly below, but offense was out of this world good at 425 ypg clip)
The one above in bold!!!!! Anthony Carter killed us single handedly in the playoffs... Followed by the Craig fumble, we were a little on the decline offensively that year.
Originally posted by 49erFan816:
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Some where between 91-93, we went 10-6 and missed the play offs. The last game of the season we played the Bears, who were in, and we were eliminated before the game started. We blew the Bears out, Bill Misgrave was sent in to run the clock out...but audible and tossed a TD, Gitka exploded, and tossed his gum into the stands!

in 1991 the 49ers in their 6 losses never lost more than 2-7 points a game.

My favorite part of that game was Seifert yelling at Musgrave for running it up!
'90. Zero question. Montana went down; Craig fumbled. Darkest day in Niner history.

'97 has to be #2 for me. Rice & Hearst got injured, and it was all over.
[ Edited by NinerSickness on Dec 19, 2015 at 1:17 PM ]
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerSickness:
'90. Zero question. Montana went down; Craig fumbled. Darkest day in Niner history.

'97 has to be #2 for me. Rice & Hearst got injured, and it was all over.

'90 was definitely the darkest day. Until this day, I think his teammates still want to slap Craig for that fumble.
  • lazy
  • Veteran
For me the 1990 team was the best
Maybe in 91 if the 49ers make the playoffs and Young wins a game or more then he probably plays better in the 92 playoffs and the Niners go on to win SB #5 that year.

• BobS
  • Veteran
The 1991 team stumbled out of the blocks but won 6 straight to jut miss the play-offs at 10-6 and laid a 52-14 rout of the 11-5 Bears to finish the season, they got hot a game too late. They can be the best 49er team to not make the play-offs.
Losing to new york in 2011 hurt me more than losing to Baltimore the following year or seattle the year after. Harbowl should have happened that year. Baltimore missed a chip shot field goal attempt in the closing seconds that was make it and you're in the superbowl or miss you wait till August to start practicing again.

For us our game shoulda never went to overtime. The most appalling thing wasn't kyle williams and his double (dead cat bounce return attempts) IIIIIIT WAAAAAS the early whistle that nullified a bowman/willis strip fumble on ahmad bradshaw and recovery with 2 min and change on the 20-30 yard line with a sure shot kicker in David Akers and with a defense that was starting to have their way with new york. The only reason the giants had a field goal attempt was thanks to KW for the (dead cat bounce punt return attempt)
Originally posted by smarter:
Losing to new york in 2011 hurt me more than losing to Baltimore the following year or seattle the year after. Harbowl should have happened that year. Baltimore missed a chip shot field goal attempt in the closing seconds that was make it and you're in the superbowl or miss you wait till August to start practicing again.

For us our game shoulda never went to overtime. The most appalling thing wasn't kyle williams and his double (dead cat bounce return attempts) IIIIIIT WAAAAAS the early whistle that nullified a bowman/willis strip fumble on ahmad bradshaw and recovery with 2 min and change on the 20-30 yard line with a sure shot kicker in David Akers and with a defense that was starting to have their way with new york. The only reason the giants had a field goal attempt was thanks to KW for the (dead cat bounce punt return attempt)

Amen. I hate Williams but that team earned that turnover and the chance to finish off the dream season.
Originally posted by facestabber:
Originally posted by smarter:

Amen. I hate Williams but that team earned that turnover and the chance to finish off the dream season.

recently. 2011 would have to be the best team that missed the super bowl. Our defense and special team was special that year and our supposed franchise qb was finally turning into what we expected of him, sort of. Gore and Davis was at the top of his game, we just didn't have any wrs
Originally posted by SJniner7:
recently. 2011 would have to be the best team that missed the super bowl. Our defense and special team was special that year and our supposed franchise qb was finally turning into what we expected of him, sort of. Gore and Davis was at the top of his game, we just didn't have any wrs

Too bad we lost Morgan.
Share 49ersWebzone