There are 187 users in the forums

49ers about to cut Ellington?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Hayne was dropped when he dropped just one catch, in a high gale. The other 2 fumbles weren't catching technique issues. (6 games)

Ellington has had specific catching technique issues. I believe it has been identified he gets these issues under pressure... he hears footsteps.. (fear) (4 in 4 games?)
[ Edited by thirthyeight on Dec 16, 2015 at 11:09 AM ]
gotta stop drafting south carolina players
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Cut him, as I have always said, should have taken Martavis Bryant.
Failed injury Baalke special. And yet another failed Baalke pick.
This guy just cannot draft WR's to save his life. I really would like to know just what is ideal WR is, or what his philosophy on WR's is. Because this story is getting old.
He's shown a little less production than Kyle Williams.
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:

You just posting for the hell of it? Ellington wasn't injured and was a great pick. Guy hasn't been used right at all. He only should've been used on special teams last year while he learns how to be a WR in the NFL. He's made to play the slot but we can't seem to use him outside gimmick plays.

I agree the drop he had last Sunday was bad and he can't do that but he's made to run slant routes and use his quickness with the ball in his hands. If he was drafted to be a punt returner only then it was a really dumb move considering he had less than a handfull of punt returns in college.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
the black Julian Edleman
Originally posted by genus49:
NE would pick him up in a second. Would be an incredibly stupid move considering we don't even use him at WR.

Well, he had a gnarly drop in Cleveland. Wide open on the sideline.
You just posting for the hell of it? Ellington wasn't injured and was a great pick. Guy hasn't been used right at all. He only should've been used on special teams last year while he learns how to be a WR in the NFL. He's made to play the slot but we can't seem to use him outside gimmick plays.

I agree the drop he had last Sunday was bad and he can't do that but he's made to run slant routes and use his quickness with the ball in his hands. If he was drafted to be a punt returner only then it was a really dumb move considering he had less than a handfull of punt returns in college.

Catch the ball. Catch it under pressure, and don't s**t yourself. An NFL draftee should be able to do that, no matter where on the field he is. And considering his fumbles had actually, comparatively little pressure on him

Doesn't do the hard work at training, and coach addressed it over the off season.

Attitude. Work ethic, fearlessness. We aren't talking Ellington when we mention these attributes. We are talking Hayne. Oh, and he gave away a guaranteed 10 million dollars just for the opportunity. Who wants it more?

Originally posted by Boagrius49:
Well, he had a gnarly drop in Cleveland. Wide open on the sideline.

Yes as i've said before every WR in the league has dropped passes before. Wes Welker, Julian Edelman, Amendola have all dropped passes. Ellington fits exactly what type of receiver they value(minus the skin color )

We need to use him the same way, remember the beautiful slant in preseason? Get him the ball quick and he'll make things happen.
Yes as i've said before every WR in the league has dropped passes before. Wes Welker, Julian Edelman, Amendola have all dropped passes. Ellington fits exactly what type of receiver they value(minus the skin color )

We need to use him the same way, remember the beautiful slant in preseason? Get him the ball quick and he'll make things happen.

yeah REAL quick, before he s**ts himself under pressure..
Originally posted by thirthyeight:
Catch the ball. Catch it under pressure, and don't s**t yourself. An NFL draftee should be able to do that, no matter where on the field he is. And considering his fumbles had actually, comparatively little pressure on him

Doesn't do the hard work at training, and coach addressed it over the off season.

Attitude. Work ethic, fearlessness. We aren't talking Ellington when we mention these attributes. We are talking Hayne. Oh, and he gave away a guaranteed 10 million dollars just for the opportunity. Who wants it more?

Clearly you're not biased...

There's a whole video on youtube with him making contested catches but let's pretend he's scared of getting hit and can't catch a ball at all

Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:

Oh forgive me. For some reason I was thinking that that he missed the game time in South Carolina for a hamstring and foot injury in 2013, Baalke drafted him with full knowledge those injuries, and in 2014 he pulls his hammy again (more time lost and not on the field). My bad, don't know what got into.
woa woa woa, stop the clock.

Where did you hear that? The only gripes I heard about Ellington was that he wasn't taking care of his body properly. Don't remember seeing anything out of him regarding character problems or work ethic issues. Both things he was known for at SC.

yeah the broo haha was whether he warmed up properly. but a lot of young athletes are stupid that way. even professional ones.
Share 49ersWebzone