There are 262 users in the forums

49ers about to cut Ellington?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
http://49aus.com/are-the-49ers-about-to-cut-bruce-ellington/

Is Bruce Ellington on the outer?It has been established for a while now that Bruce Ellington has been struggled on punt returns. His performance in kick-off returns has been acceptable this season, but strangely, he was substituted by Quinton Patton against the Browns last week for select returns.

There was no word of injury to prompt this substitution, so the assumption at the time was Ellington was being rested for upcoming offensive plays.

Ellington has had few targets at wide receiver, when he was targetted he dropped a vital reception against the Browns. Ellington has regressed badly on punt returns and for the first time is being subbed for the occasional kick return.

Now the 49ers are trialling two more wide receivers when they already have seven healthy receivers on the roster.

The timing fits With speculation running back and punt returner Jarryd Hayne, currently on the practice squad, may be re-activated for the final two game of the season (and hence keeping his practice squad eligibility), there are some pieces in the 49ers puzzle that may be finding their place.

The timing fits.

Cut Ellington after the Bengals, reactivate Hayne to cover punt returns and fill a running back void that current third choice running back Kendall Gaskins is failing to fill, and sign one of the two wide receivers on trial to the practice squad.

Patton can cover kick-off returns, Hayne is an improvement at punt return, and you are more than covered at wide receiver.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
would be the best thing that could happen to him.
He blows

Id rather watch a slow aussie bloke try to stiff arm people
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
would be the best thing that could happen to him.

Would sign with NE and be a star.
NE would pick him up in a second. Would be an incredibly stupid move considering we don't even use him at WR.
Ellington shows nervousness in his timing of calling a fair catch. He s**ts himself, cant catch under pressure. Coach made an observation Hayne was brave under a ball with defence coming at him. He wouldn't fail to see the opposite in Ellington...

Football isn't a foot race. Ellington has speed, but one has to make opponents miss and so much more. Reliability isn't Ellingtons long suit.
cant draft WR's to save our life
A major disappointment for sure...miscast (s/b used in the slot like how Cobb is used) BUT from early reports, he has character and work ethic issues from what we gathered from Tomsula in pre season. It shows on the field.
Originally posted by jreff22:
cant draft WR's to save our life

If you can't draft them...buy them.

Man, this is another highly touted "value pick" at WR that isn't panning out.
Not that I like Ellington, but this coaching staff isn't fit to evaluate any player.

a cut now??? Just a wishful thinking by some Hayne-Fanboy, imho.
Man I would be more bummed about this team even further if they did cut him.

Probably thee fastest player on this team.
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
Man I would be more bummed about this team even further if they did cut him.

Probably thee fastest player on this team.

Fast hasn't got him anywhere. Cant catch under pressure..
Originally posted by NCommand:
A major disappointment for sure...miscast (s/b used in the slot like how Cobb is used) BUT from early reports, he has character and work ethic issues from what we gathered from Tomsula in pre season. It shows on the field.

woa woa woa, stop the clock.

Where did you hear that? The only gripes I heard about Ellington was that he wasn't taking care of his body properly. Don't remember seeing anything out of him regarding character problems or work ethic issues. Both things he was known for at SC.
I like Ellington, he is underutilized though imo. he is fast but needs more confidence. I don't think this coaching structure helps him
Share 49ersWebzone