LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 248 users in the forums

49er Front Office Craziness

Shop Find 49ers gear online
For the past 2-3 years I have been thoroughly confused by the 49er front office. The leaks, the rat, the firing of Harbaugh, the firing of Paraage, the loyalty to Baalke. It's like they aren't even trying or concerned with what the state of the team is.

In my effort to figure this out one name keeps reappearing...Bill Parcells.

"A 2014 biography of Bill Parcells revealed this week that he was Jed York's first choice to be head coach of the team back in 2011. The then-69-year-old Parcells had been retired from coaching for four years, but when you have the opportunity to get a multiple Super Bowl-winning coach on your team, you have to at least take a look.

We knew that York had contacted Parcells at the time, but it was thought York was just getting Parcells' opinion of Trent Baalke, who had worked with Parcells as a scout. Now, it turns out York might have been trying to land the Big Tuna for his coach—a bold and unlikely maneuver, but one at least worth kicking the tires on."

Parcells hired Baalke as a regional scout years ago and the two have been close ever since. Bill is currently enjoying the role of Baalke's whispering godfather. But what is in it for him?

Is he a Tomsula guy? Did he give Baalke his blessing concerning Tomsula to have himself or someone else waiting in the wings to ride in to be the savior? Is he bitter about missing out on additional Superbowls in the 1980's to the 49er's? What is the endgame?
They are like Time WArner CAble.

Absolute s**t company but people have no choice but to subscribe to it and they know it.
• Baalke, a Bill Parcells disciple from his days as a scout with the Jets, still values big and physical when it comes to evaluating draft prospects
Following the Cookie Crumbs: Retracing Baalke's Beginnings

If you want to try to divine the 49ers' strategy in the upcoming draft—a stupid endeavor with no chance of success—like I am, then you need to think like Trent Baalke. And if you want to think like Trent Baalke you need to study up on Bill Parcells.

Trent Baalke was a former protégée of Bill Parcells. The Big Tuna was kind enough to go over the basic principles of his evaluation process in the now (sadly) defunct Bill Parcells' Draft Confidential on ESPN a couple years back. It's hard to say exactly how much Baalke differs from Parcells now that he's been drafting on his own for a few years, but it seems like they are operating from the same basic foundation that Parcells outlined in his ESPN special.
http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/baalke-talks-like-tuna/
Baalke loves to get advice from Parcells, who qualifies, but Parcells is too smart to actually come on board officially.
Originally posted by ArmchairQB:
Baalke loves to get advice from Parcells, who qualifies, but Parcells is too smart to actually come on board officially.

Well when Parcells was good back in the mid 80's to mid 90s the rules were different as far as passing so Parcells favored a big power run game approach but now most of that is nullified by just stacking the box. Seattle is about the only team that got away with it in recent memory but now a days you must be able to spread teams out and beat them in the pass game because the new rules allow it.

Basically what i'm saying is Parcells' system is outdated nowdays and if Baalke blue prints off of Parcells well now we know why we are Awful on offense in 2015 NFL World.
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
Well when Parcells was good back in the mid 80's to mid 90s the rules were different as far as passing so Parcells favored a big power run game approach but now most of that is nullified by just stacking the box. Seattle is about the only team that got away with it in recent memory but now a days you must be able to spread teams out and beat them in the pass game because the new rules allow it.

Basically what i'm saying is Parcells' system is outdated nowdays and if Baalke blue prints off of Parcells well now we know why we are Awful on offense in 2015 NFL World.

Even Seattle spreads the field despite being a run-heavy team. They love running out of 3 WR sets. Spread the defense thin and pound the rock with Lynch and Rawls, two tough physical style runners that are tough to bring down by Nickel defensive personnel.

The 80's, 90's era of running the football from heavy formations is terribly outdated. Parcells was a smart guy, but his brand of football is over, and so it Baalke's. We need to evolve and accept the fact that the current rules incentivize spreading the field and passing the ball. Play the game the way it's designed to be played, or get left in the dust.
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Wut
Originally posted by SofaKing:

Even Seattle spreads the field despite being a run-heavy team. They love running out of 3 WR sets. Spread the defense thin and pound the rock with Lynch and Rawls, two tough physical style runners that are tough to bring down by Nickel defensive personnel.

The 80's, 90's era of running the football from heavy formations is terribly outdated. Parcells was a smart guy, but his brand of football is over, and so it Baalke's. We need to evolve and accept the fact that the current rules incentivize spreading the field and passing the ball. Play the game the way it's designed to be played, or get left in the dust.
Bingo 100%

• KID9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SofaKing:

You're SofaKing right!! I miss the days of having a stud WR or 2 tearing through defenses for huge gains and TDs. It opens everything up including the running game and takes pressure off your D from having to be near perfect all the time. WR play is my favorite part of football and I'm sure if you asked most niners fans who were fans in the 80's and 90's they would be to.
Share 49ersWebzone