There are 173 users in the forums

2016 Team Information (Needs)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
not saying we "need" CBs lol but this is interesting....

The Newark Star-Ledger's Eliot Shorr-Parks believes Eagles second-year CB Eric Rowe is available for trade.

The new coaching staff doesn't seem high on last year's No. 47 overall pick. Rowe entered the spring as a contender to start, but DC Jim Schwartz has buried him on the depth chart behind Leodis McKelvin, Ron Brooks, Nolan Carroll, and Jalen Mills. At 6'1/205, Rowe would draw serious interest if available.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
not saying we "need" CBs lol but this is interesting....

The Newark Star-Ledger's Eliot Shorr-Parks believes Eagles second-year CB Eric Rowe is available for trade.

The new coaching staff doesn't seem high on last year's No. 47 overall pick. Rowe entered the spring as a contender to start, but DC Jim Schwartz has buried him on the depth chart behind Leodis McKelvin, Ron Brooks, Nolan Carroll, and Jalen Mills. At 6'1/205, Rowe would draw serious interest if available.

Interesting. Having taller, longer, press CB's outside for O'Neil with Johnson (6'2"), Robinson (6'1') and Rowe (6'1")? Redmond & Acker are (6'0") plus Ward and Iworah (5'11); both one inch taller than Brock.
[ Edited by NCommand on Jul 20, 2016 at 10:00 AM ]
All 11 rookies signed, sealed and delivered.
Originally posted by NCommand:
All 11 rookies signed, sealed and delivered.

But, but.... No one wants to play here and Baalke won't pay the rookies! Wah, wah, wah! My heart is shattered, and people are saying mean and hurtful things! Sob!!! How can this be?!?!?!
Well, the OLB, ILB and NT I mentioned earlier in another thread, just took on new meaning....particularly at NT. Thing is we got Dorsey, Dial and Purcell, and all 3 were going to be in the rotation....now they ARE the rotation. So it is bad, but could have been worse.e.
Updates.
A few updates...just a few..Lol
Originally posted by NCommand:
A few updates...just a few..Lol

Glaring need is a viable wr, not a wr3 playing as a wr1. How this is addressed... idk
Well:

WRs went from potential to:
Torrey
Kerley
Streator
Burbridge
Patton

Need ILB , OLB

Then the big hick... Franchise QB, but that is 2017 draft, and we will have to give up 3 top 3 picks for two yrs to get that QB we have to have...the team is almost ready for him.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Well:

WRs went from potential to:
Torrey
Kerley
Streator
Burbridge
Patton

Need ILB , OLB

Then the big hick... Franchise QB, but that is 2017 draft, and we will have to give up 3 top 3 picks for two yrs to get that QB we have to have...the team is almost ready for him.

Agreed. We might add another veteran WR with some return abilities but not sure who. We may stick with 5 and rely more in TEs and RBs more in the passing game. Chip evolving?

It's just a matter of time before Martin, Wilhoite and TJE are off the roster.

We'll have to see how Brooks, Harold and Tank do on the edge for four games and don't forget Blair either. He also rushes from the edge.

ILB? It is what it is plus, Tartt.

Just look how young this starting unit is; 5.4 games worth on offense and 8.7 games worth on defensive.

Many of the veterans barely played last year or not at all. In short, it may not be pretty at first. Lol
[ Edited by NCommand on Sep 3, 2016 at 10:08 PM ]

Well it looks like the roster is mostly set.

Just a reminder of how young this team is. Here are the (snap counts/games equivalent/%) from last year of the projected active 46.

*Veterans

QB: *Blaine Gabbert (509/8/50.35%); Colin Kaepernick (502/8/49.65%)
RB1: Carlos Hyde (292/4.7/28.88%); Shaun Draughn (253/4/25.02%) & Mike Davis (126/2/12.46%)
MTE: Vance McDonald (468/7.5/46.29%); Bruce Miller (143/2.4/26.71%), TE: Garrett Celek (399/6.4/39.47%) & Blake Bell (352/5.6/34.82%)
X WR (LEFT): *Rod Streater (10/0/0%); Quinton Patton (424/6.8/41.94%)
Y WR (SLOT): *Jeremy Kerley (225/3.6/22.25%); Aaron Burbridge (0/0/0%)
Z WR (RIGHT): *Torrey Smith (772/12.4/76.36%)
LOT: *Joe Staley (1,011/16/100%)
LG: Joshua Garnett (0/0/0%); *Zane Beadles (1,058/16/100%)
C: Daniel Kilgore (267/4.2/26.41%)
RG: *Anthony Davis (0/0/0%); Andrew Tiller (614/9.8/60.73%)
ROT: Trenton Brown (186/3/18.40%)

Offensive average (Starters/21): 5.4 game equivalent average for our starters.

RDE: *Quinton Dial (640/9.3/56.24%); DeForest Bucker (0/0/0%)
NT: *Glenn Dorsey (352/5/30.93%); Mike Purcell (288/4.2/25.31%)
LDE: Arik Armstead (375/5.5/32.95%); Ronald Blair (0/0/0%)
WILL: Eli Harold (337/4.9/29.61%)
ELEPHANT: Tank Carradine (223/3.2/19.60%)
TED: Ray-Ray Armstrong (0/0/0%); Gerald Hodges (366/5.3/32.16%)
MIKE: *Navarro Bowman (1,098/16/100%); Michael Wilhoite (616/9/54.13%) & Nick Bellore (7/0/.62%)
SAM: *Ahmad Brooks (741/10.8/65.11%)
RCB: Jimmie Ward (730/10.6/64.15%); Dontae Johnson (366/5.3/32.16%)
SLOT (S/CB): Chris Davis (17/0/1.49%)
LCB: *Tramaine Brock (1,064/16/100%)
HYBRID S/ILB: Jaquiski Tartt (719/10.4/63.18%)
FS: *Eric Reid (1,113/16/100%); Marcus Cromartie (122/1.8/10.72%)
SS: *Antoine Bethea (440/6.4/38.66%)

Defensive average (Starters/22): 8.7 game equivalent average for our starters.
[ Edited by NCommand on Sep 5, 2016 at 7:18 AM ]
I'll let NCommand handle the in depth analysis and keep it simple with biggest needs for next year:

#1 QB
#2 WR
#3 Pass Rushing OLB (if Tank does well and is re-signed then this drops off the list)
#4 ILB
lesser... TE (if vance leaves), possibly NT (ian williams/dorsey back?), possibly RB

Hopefully we use some of our 50+ million to bring in a guy like Jeffery or BPA at WR since we can't draft or develop WR's. I hate buying players as it rarely works but we can't draft them so give it a shot. Hopefully we at least get a shot at a good wr and they arent all tagged/re-signed. If no wr's in FA then we need to draft at least 2. One in the first 3 rounds then another in round 4-5. Id like to see a pass rushing OLB in round 1-3 (if no tank back/doesnt play well) and a QB in round 1 or 2. Then round 6 and 7 can be used for TE, NT, RB, K or whatever else. FA or draft we need to improve QB, WR and OLB (pass rusher) before we can compete for the playoffs. Obviously, we can always improve but I'm happy with the OL and secondary for next year. Baalke, please fight the urge to draft a few more cb's or ol as we will have much bigger needs. Thank you.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Sep 4, 2016 at 1:29 AM ]
I genuinely think WR is a bigger need for us than QB at the moment. The idea that Gabbert and Kap are the worst in the NFL when the likes of Sanchez, Simian etc. Are still floating about the league not buying it. WRs however I'll admit I've seen nothing of Streater though. And please cut Wilhoite at some point he's so slow it's painful at times.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
I'll let NCommand handle the in depth analysis and keep it simple with biggest needs for next year:

#1 QB
#2 WR
#3 Pass Rushing OLB (if Tank does well and is re-signed then this drops off the list)
#4 ILB
lesser... TE (if vance leaves), possibly NT (ian williams/dorsey back?), possibly RB

Hopefully we use some of our 50+ million to bring in a guy like Jeffery or BPA at WR since we can't draft or develop WR's. I hate buying players as it rarely works but we can't draft them so give it a shot. Hopefully we at least get a shot at a good wr and they arent all tagged/re-signed. If no wr's in FA then we need to draft at least 2. One in the first 3 rounds then another in round 4-5. Id like to see a pass rushing OLB in round 1-3 (if no tank back/doesnt play well) and a QB in round 1 or 2. Then round 6 and 7 can be used for TE, NT, RB, K or whatever else. FA or draft we need to improve QB, WR and OLB (pass rusher) before we can compete for the playoffs. Obviously, we can always improve but I'm happy with the OL and secondary for next year. Baalke, please fight the urge to draft a few more cb's or ol as we will have much bigger needs. Thank you.

Originally posted by WeeRocco:
I genuinely think WR is a bigger need for us than QB at the moment. The idea that Gabbert and Kap are the worst in the NFL when the likes of Sanchez, Simian etc. Are still floating about the league not buying it. WRs however I'll admit I've seen nothing of Streater though. And please cut Wilhoite at some point he's so slow it's painful at times.

Well done you two. No doubt you nailed Okie biggest needs at the moment on paper. We'll continue to revisit during the season. Hopefully some of these key needs drop like OLB and no new ones pop up!
Lot of work on this NC ,so thanks.

5.5 games for the O and 8.5 games for the D is, well...an unsettling thot. I mean one would hope these guys know how to fasten on their shoulder pads, but Ye gads, we are talking serious inexperience here. Perhaps I never paid enough attn to this before, but at the very least, it is scary.

On O it is Joe and Zane(but not here) and on D it is Bow, Brooks, and Brock.

The good news is we start off with a game where the team ransomed 2 yrs of their top 3 picks to get their franchise QB, and it turns out he is as green as grass, and we will not see him in game one. The better news is their #2 QB isn't much better. Our schedule is a ball buster, but somehow we got a break in game one. Based on the balance of the remainder of games before the bye, we are going to need that break.

As an aside, it would be interesting to see what the experience level of PATs is . Probably most are in the 12 game range...but that is just a guess. There are two huge factors to also consider here...HC and OC. Oh that's right...same guy. And that is a huge plus. He is all invested in the O. He's a fine coach in both college and pros, and we had essentially the same inexperience in OL last hr...but with zero for a HC and same for OC. And on D, it is relative unknown, but Chip came up as a D coach, so he has oversight there. Compare that with the slug we had at DC last yr and again there is just no comparison. Mangini was awful.

So it is one thing to have an inexperienced team with no leader, vs having a terrific coaching staff. Oh you don't don't believe that? Well chip taught Kap how to throw and complete short passes didn't he? That is something Harbaw never did, so chip is off to a good start.

The second thing is the draft. It was terrific, and that is something that we have not had recently. I attribute that to Baalke and his D picks, but also Chip and his O picks. More importantly, instead of GM and HC being at odds, these two worked well together, and we got a better product for it. Most likely they agreed on every pick. Also it shows that even tho Chip is OC, he knew we had big holes on D and the two of them did a good job filling most of them.

Point is, this yr should be our best yr in maybe 15 yrs or more, from a leadership angle. And when you have raw guys, having great leadership really is key. So we may be green, but we are led well. Another way to say that is I think chip can use our strengths to cover up our holes...in both inexperience and missing pieces.

Team needs are noted above, but our overarching need is obviously at QB. It would be a pleasant surprise if Gab/Kap turned out to be our franchise QB, but this time wth a really good HC. I think the FRanchise QB is NOT on the roster, but this yr we just hope to make up for that with bandaids and baling wire. Seriously, having a game plan, an OC/HC who really knows the game, having a real live top flite play caller....all those things somewhat ameliorate the deficiency we have at QB. WRs , a thorn in our side in what seems forever, got fixed by jettisoning the youth, and bringing in some very good receivers. They may not be THE answer, but we are loads better here than last two yrs.

ILB, OLB, yes, we need help here, but again are way better off than last yr, with more experience, and now with a good HC. Blair , DeFo, both new, are huge improvements. And it makes for bookend DEs, and I can't remember the last time we had that. So team needs, while obvious, may be helped largely by a HC who can win some games by out coaching the other team, but additionally, he can keep us in most games, and that is key if we want FA WR, OLB, and ILB. We need to be at least pretty for those guys in FA.

QB is entirely a separate issue, and that is just willingness to blow our top 3 picks for two yrs to get the slot needed to pick the QB we want next yr.... That is the big step, and hopefully we do better than the Rams...but it is way too early to judge Goff yet. Maybe two yrs to early. I think he ultimately does well. Will he be what they wanted? Who knows but it shows what we are up against next yr. Just getting the high pick or top pick QB doesn't guarantee success. But this is way to early to worry about that.

THink about our team needs at this time last yr. It was horrid. But the real need many suspected, but not to the degree it turned out to be... HC/OC was the biggest need we had, and this yr, that is a plus, not a double triple minus. So we are going in limping along at QB, and only the football Gods know what will come of it. But count on this: we are miles better off this yr than anytime last yr. We have a coach that can do it, and a much upgraded team. We will not win the SB this yr, but we will be in most games to the bitter end. Most of the huge deficits have been fixed. Now we see how Gab/Kap or whoever can do with this vastly upgraded team. QB is key, and we got what we got. But we aren't starting off in a hole like last yr, and odds are we do way better than my guess of 6 Ws.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Sep 4, 2016 at 7:51 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone