LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 244 users in the forums

2016 Team Information (Needs)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Nicely stated, though I would reorganize the priorities. I think we need to fix certain position groups first:

Immediate Needs

1.) OL - Our recent stretch of NFC Championship games is due, in no small part, to the decision to draft Anthony Davis and Mike Iupati in the first round. Nothing else on offense will work until this is sorted out. Staley is aging, Boone is a free agent, Kilgore is just working his way back, and the rest of the roster is a dumpster fire. Free agency, draft, whatever it takes.

2.) QB - If the rumors are true and Kaepernick has played his last game here, then that leaves us exactly one NFL caliber QB on the roster. Gabbert has, at the very least, earned the right to keep playing, but we need youth and talent quickly. I am strongly advocating we draft two QBs in the first 5 rounds. I know there are other holes to fill, but we can't afford to leave the talent pool so shallow.

3.) OLB - Lynch has a great future. If he keeps his head on straight and stays healthy, he could even be dominant. The rest of this group is terrible. Brooks is aging, expensive, and rapidly declining. Lemonier is worthless. Harold might be able to develop, but he is definitely not ready this year or probably next. Having the ability to bring pressure from both sides of the line will make everyone on this defense look better.

4.) RB - Hyde is a fantastic back, when healthy. Draughn has worked hard in his absence, but the truth is he just just a mediocre back. Hyde is the only guy on the roster who matters at this position. That needs to change if Hyde is going to stay healthy and if this team ever hopes to have a functioning offense.

Secondary Needs:

5.) WR - Until we have a functioning offensive line and a varied running game, there is no sense in bringing in another WR. What's he going to do, watch Gabbert get sacked while he does some yoga? Torrey Smith, Quinton Patton, DeAndre Smelter, Jerome Simpson, DeAndrew White, Bruce Ellington, and Dres Anderson will compete for time. Boldin might even be back, though I would prefer not. Point is, we aren't likely to be competing for a Championship next year. Let's get the Ferrari after we build the garage.

6.) CB - Acker, Reaser, Johnson, Brock, Cromartie, and Ward are young and have potential, but there isn't a shutdown guy in this group. I think these guys will continue to improve, but I would love to see more talent added to the mix.

7.) ILB - I know many of you place this need higher. It's not that I think what we have is fine, I just think the other needs are more important. That changes if Bowman never gets back to the All-pro he once was.

8.) DL - Armstead is getting better each time he takes the field, Dial is a solid starter, and Williams is finally healthy. Purcell is so much fun to watch and brings plenty of energy to the rotation. Carradine is about as frustrating as any player I have seen on this team. I don't know if he will be around. That means we have 4 legitimate rotation guys with Carradine, Dorsey, TJE, Ramsey and Smith as potential competition. Not an inspiring group, but add a late rounder and a cheap vet and this group is serviceable for another year. DL is important, but if you think Bosa is the savior, take a look at how St. Louis is doing.

Luxury Needs:

9.) TE - McDonald had a mini resurgence with Gabbert, Celek showed he can be a solid starter in this league. Bell isn't quite there yet, but has enough potential to make him a solid 3rd TE. Add Busta Anderson next year, and I just don't see how adding to this position is anymore than a luxury.

10.) K - Dawson can probably get us another year, but we should probably keep our eyes open for the next guy.
Originally posted by blm7754:
Top tier needs.... competent coordinators. Tomsula will likely be back next year. He can win supporters by hiring a decent OC and DC.

Chryst is a terrible play caller. He's decent in terms of overall philosophy, but doesn't call good plays for the down and distance. He's too bent on being unpredictable.

Mangini is also too bent on being unpredictable. He does a decent job of disguising coverages and making QBs really think, but when you can't generate a pass rush the coverage inevitably will fail. More damning is the piss poor run defense. There is just no excuse for this.

After that, our needs are as follows:

DE/OLB/ILB - We just need to add a stud to the front 7. We lost P. Willis and A. Smith. We need a stud that offenses have to account for. Someone who can bring a pass rush and stop the run.

OT - A. Davis will probably return. But Staley is aging and Boone is a FA. We need someone who can play OT. My ideal scenario would be to draft a RT early. Move A. Davis to RG. Retain Boone as LG.

OC - Kilgore is better than Martin, but even he was never great. I'd prefer to go for a veteran here. We need someone powerful who can recognize blitzes and stunts and call out the right protections.

WR - I like Smith and Patton, but we need a big bodied possession receiver that can take over for Boldin.

No "competent" coordinators on both sides of the ball will come to San Francisco to be on a terrible, lame duck head coach's staff. He could easily be fired next year and even this year. We need a WHOLE NEW STAFF and a Hue Jackson or Sean Payton... We need a new regime, because I felt even the past years with Harbaugh and now with Tomsula, we can't utilize or develop any big stars if we DID have them. Do you think Stephon Diggs would be anything for us? Probably not. Do you think Odell would be Odell with a depleted Kap? Probably not. Until we have a potential quarterback who can actually pick apart a defense and get the ball to the playmakers, then we could I truly think. But first it starts with the Staff, and we need a whole new one. We won't maintain the same damn issues that we still have maintained by signing in house staff. It's pathetic and I feel any growth of these young players coming in needs to be done with a new guy calling the shots.
[ Edited by 49ersJordan on Dec 15, 2015 at 8:08 AM ]
Originally posted by Karma:
Nicely stated, though I would reorganize the priorities. I think we need to fix certain position groups first:

Immediate Needs

1.) OL - Our recent stretch of NFC Championship games is due, in no small part, to the decision to draft Anthony Davis and Mike Iupati in the first round. Nothing else on offense will work until this is sorted out. Staley is aging, Boone is a free agent, Kilgore is just working his way back, and the rest of the roster is a dumpster fire. Free agency, draft, whatever it takes.

2.) QB - If the rumors are true and Kaepernick has played his last game here, then that leaves us exactly one NFL caliber QB on the roster. Gabbert has, at the very least, earned the right to keep playing, but we need youth and talent quickly. I am strongly advocating we draft two QBs in the first 5 rounds. I know there are other holes to fill, but we can't afford to leave the talent pool so shallow.

3.) OLB - Lynch has a great future. If he keeps his head on straight and stays healthy, he could even be dominant. The rest of this group is terrible. Brooks is aging, expensive, and rapidly declining. Lemonier is worthless. Harold might be able to develop, but he is definitely not ready this year or probably next. Having the ability to bring pressure from both sides of the line will make everyone on this defense look better.

4.) RB - Hyde is a fantastic back, when healthy. Draughn has worked hard in his absence, but the truth is he just just a mediocre back. Hyde is the only guy on the roster who matters at this position. That needs to change if Hyde is going to stay healthy and if this team ever hopes to have a functioning offense.

Secondary Needs:

5.) WR - Until we have a functioning offensive line and a varied running game, there is no sense in bringing in another WR. What's he going to do, watch Gabbert get sacked while he does some yoga? Torrey Smith, Quinton Patton, DeAndre Smelter, Jerome Simpson, DeAndrew White, Bruce Ellington, and Dres Anderson will compete for time. Boldin might even be back, though I would prefer not. Point is, we aren't likely to be competing for a Championship next year. Let's get the Ferrari after we build the garage.

6.) CB - Acker, Reaser, Johnson, Brock, Cromartie, and Ward are young and have potential, but there isn't a shutdown guy in this group. I think these guys will continue to improve, but I would love to see more talent added to the mix.

7.) ILB - I know many of you place this need higher. It's not that I think what we have is fine, I just think the other needs are more important. That changes if Bowman never gets back to the All-pro he once was.

8.) DL - Armstead is getting better each time he takes the field, Dial is a solid starter, and Williams is finally healthy. Purcell is so much fun to watch and brings plenty of energy to the rotation. Carradine is about as frustrating as any player I have seen on this team. I don't know if he will be around. That means we have 4 legitimate rotation guys with Carradine, Dorsey, TJE, Ramsey and Smith as potential competition. Not an inspiring group, but add a late rounder and a cheap vet and this group is serviceable for another year. DL is important, but if you think Bosa is the savior, take a look at how St. Louis is doing.

Luxury Needs:

9.) TE - McDonald had a mini resurgence with Gabbert, Celek showed he can be a solid starter in this league. Bell isn't quite there yet, but has enough potential to make him a solid 3rd TE. Add Busta Anderson next year, and I just don't see how adding to this position is anymore than a luxury.

10.) K - Dawson can probably get us another year, but we should probably keep our eyes open for the next guy.

Good post
NC--sorry this is so long but I couldn't sleep...so...

Top Tier Needs:
  • 1st Round--Goff, Cal...QB: Blaine Gabbert
  • Smelter...Z WR: Anquan Boldin; DeAndre Smelter & Dres Anderson – Coaches really like Smelter, White and Anderson. But what we're REALLY missing in this WCO is that big-bodied play maker who can go across the middle on slants, post patterns, etc.
  • 2nd Round--Sprigs, Indiana...ROT: Erik Pears; Trenton Brown – Ummm, we need plenty of help along the OL. I'd prefer veteran proven FA's. We don't have time to develop another Chilo Rachel/Marcus Martin.
  • Free Agent...WILL/ELEPHANT: Ahmad Brooks; Eli Harold & Tank Carradine – This is our biggest need on defense.
  • Draughn...RB1: Carlos Hyde; Kendall Gaskins & Mike Davis – Safe to say, Hyde is legit and if we stay WCO, Draughn is a nice pickup for some inside/off tackle runs plus is great in pass protection and is an excellent receiver. I like this combination but we also need an upgrade over Davis. We don't ever want to be down a premier RB again. It derailed our entire season and offensive philosophy.

Second Tier Needs:
  • 3rd Round--Drago, Baylor...RG: Andrew Tiller; Jordan Devey & Brandon Thomas – Tiller or Thomas could still pan out with a full off season but we better not plan on it. Nail a top-notch FA veteran starter.
  • Free Agent--Mack?...C: Daniel Kilgore; Marcus Martin – Martin might also be in competition at G but if we could upgrade the C position in FA, you don't hesitate!
  • Free Agent...LOT: Joe Staley; (Alex Boone) – Staley isn't getting any younger. Move Staley to RT, Boone to left or is Davis coming back? Don't count on any of that...this is where you take a top T in the draft.
  • 3rd Round--Martin, ND...LG: Alex Boone; Ian Silberman – Can we keep Boone once he tests FA?
  • RDE: Quinton Dial; Tony Jerod Eddie (Kaleb Ramsey) – Could use another push-starter here or blue chipper to play opposite of AA.
  • 3rd Round--Matakevich, Temple...TED: Gerald Hodges; Michael Wilhoite & Shane Skov – If we keep Mangini, we need a speedy ILB who can cover very very well. Hodges was a great find though.

Third Tier Needs:
  • 4th Round--Canady, Virginia...RCB: Kenneth Acker; Dontae Johnson & Chris Davis – Only if there is a blue-chipper with serious upgrade potential. Fix the pass rush = better back end play.
  • 4th Round--Addison, Oregon...X WR: Torrey Smith; Jerome Simpson & Quinton Patton – I may be the only one who likes Simpson (very similar skill set to Smith) but it can't hurt to get another burner here. Our offense was done once Smith went out with injury against the Browns.
  • Late Pick--PK: Phil Dawson – Time for a challenger. A real one.
  • Late Pick--PR/KOR: Bruce Ellington & Quinton Patton – We need a legit play maker here!

Assessment:
Impact players are needed at three key positions so I chose to use FAs for center and pass rush OLB. Pass rushing OLB is first on the FA list but if a great player is available at any spot in the draft they should jump...unless they take a QB. Those three positions are key to the team making progress next year and beyond. Gabbert may be able to hold down QB so the other two take first place in draft or free agency depending on who is available. OL need continuity so I hope Thomas, Martin, Silberman, Brown and Kilgore get healthy and take a jump next year, but they need to draft/sign insurance!

Order of Need for Offense:
QB: Goff seems to be falling to the niners in many mocks and that would be fine with me. Gabbert and Goff would be a nice combination but I'd like to see them pick up another young guy.
Center: Even if they sign a FA center I'd like to see them draft a guy who can play center and OG. Nick Martin from ND seems to fit that bill and is said to be very sharp. M Martin may be over.
OT: Boone is a free agent, Brown didn't play a snap, Staley is aging and Pears is bad and aging. They need to try to address this spot with a FA and a draft pick or two.
OG: Same as OT, they need to find guys who can play this position at a high level. I would draft a couple of guys, one who could play center as well. Do any of the current players inspire confidence? So disappointed in Thomas not playing. Silberman? Who knows!
WR: I really like Smelter and believe they will try to retain Boldin. So they need to decide if Ellington and Patton are NFL quality players. They should be able to improve over these guys with a mid round pick. But they have some other young guys-Anderson, Campbell--who can compete. I have them picking a small speed guy to back up T Smith (Addison, Oregon). If a big WR drops to them...great! Busta Anderson as the big WR?
TE: The one position that may be fine! But that doesn't mean they don't take a guy if a talent drops to them.

Order of Need for Defense:
OLB: They either need an impact player here or stay the course. Lynch, Brooks, Harold, Lemonier and Carradine are a decent group but none of them have made us forget Aldon Smith. I can't see this improve unless they spend money on a FA. Even if they drafted Smith or Jack in the first round I doubt they would start as rookies.
ILB: I plugged in Makavich, who is the anti Mangini type as he may not be great in pass defense. But the writeups sure sound like Borland! Instinct, recognition and first step!
DL: An impact guy in free agency would be nice. Is this the year they grab a beast NT? LOL!
S: This is a tough position and Reid looks damaged. McCray is injured, Bethea is injured...they may need to bolster this position. Really like Tartt and Ward though!
CB: Always look to upgrade but with Cromartie playing well and Davis looking servicable...not a problem. I really like Acker and hope Reaser can take a jump this next year! Brock, Acker, Johnson, Reaser, Cromartie, Davis...I think this is a strength--Brock is the old guy at 27!
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Dec 15, 2015 at 9:23 AM ]
OL - we HAVE to get help. We also can't "count" on certain guys staying healthy either. Other than Staley, I think we have to get new players at every position - if nothing else, than to build depth. The dumpster fire that is our line makes my eyes bleed. We can't count on Kilgore remaining healthy and there's no way if he goes down we can rely on Martin. We have to find a starting quality guy at center, if nothing else, it will create competition at the spot and insurance for injury. Personally, I would like to see Kilgore as a backup G/C - same with Tiller.

We need to use a high draft pick on a quality tackle then another on a quality guard - and hope to heaven that Baalke doesn't screw the pooch on those lineman. His history drafting lineman isn't real great. We also need to seek out FA help and sign 1, maybe even 2 guards. Also, if we have to trade a 3rd round pick for a solid RT and not have to use a 1st on one, that's gravy. I'm sure there's a team that has a T with a higher cap number who wouldn't mind unloading the player for a 3rd rnd pick. We got boldin for a 6th round pick,

I'm not counting on Trenton Brown as a tackle for the future. The guy looked decent against backups and guys that won't be in the league, but I can't, for the life of me, believe that, no matter how inept a coaching staff is, believe that they would allow Pears to play if there was a guy who'd shown anything better in practice for 3 months.

It doesn't matter who our QB is, the kind of pressure Gabbert was under on Sunday was non-functional for anyone. It doesn't matter who our wideouts are if our line blocks like that. We could have Julio and ODBJ and still get a demerit to the principles office from the other team. We could have the next Barry Sanders walk in and he would still struggle running behind that line. The problems upfront are obvious and painful. For a supposed running team, we suck donkey chode running the ball(good lord this feels like the Singletary years again....)

We also need a dominant pass rusher. Without those two areas being addressed - it doesn't matter who our QB, RB's, WR's, TE's, LB's, DB's are. Your skill position players can only shine if they're given the opportunity. We could have 2 shutdown corners walk in and still struggle against the pass because we have little to no pass rush.

We have no true difference maker on either of our lines. I'm not sold on Armstead being a true difference maker. He may turn into a solid/very good 4 tech, but I don't see him being the next J.J. Watt. Lynch is a good edge rusher, but he's not a dominant force. If we can pair a dominant guy along with those 2, I think you're talking a whole different ball game. I think you'll also see a big improvement in our defense all-together.

There, I bolded them for you NCommand! lol, jk
[ Edited by jonnydel on Dec 15, 2015 at 10:37 AM ]
Karma, dtg and JD...terrific posts as well. Like to see the constructive choices on personnel, top needs and tags. Well done.
I'd put OL and edge pass rusher equally at the top of the list of needs. Nobody is going to perform well unless the team gets some decent pass protection and opposing QB's are going to just stand there and take anybody apart if there's no pass rush. I hope it's a combination of free agents and impact draft picks. The team has lots of money and lots of cap room.
I wholeheartedly agree with Jonnydel. The offensive line is pathetic and stops the whole offense.

More pressure on the opposing QB, whether it's inside or outside is a must and will help all other parts of the defense.
Primary needs- Head coach, OL, Pass Rusher.

You fix these areas and I think you see a substantial change in the level of play. Our QBs with absolute turn style OL play have actually played decent. Gabbert's been better than Kap but as a tandem they've only thrown 8 picks in 13 games and 4 came in the zona melt down. Given the pressure they've faced I think this is actually a great sign and a silver lining for the s**t show that was 2015.
first Need = GM
Second = Offensive HC
HC takes care of his crew , Never heard of a GM picks an OC and a DC not the HC ?
first fix the OL , by my count we need 3 FA OL RT , both LG and RG . first round pick a LT in the first
pass protection will improve and the running game will be humming again .
DE next or OLB .

third CB and SS or FS.
PR/KR
oh that f**king punter we picked up in the 5th round needs to go we need a punter !

f**k you Dork ! I hate you and your family since you took control of our 49ers !

Originally posted by jonnydel:

'bout time! I was about to report you!
Originally posted by cNiner:
first Need = GM
Second = Offensive HC
HC takes care of his crew , Never heard of a GM picks an OC and a DC not the HC ?
first fix the OL , by my count we need 3 FA OL RT , both LG and RG . first round pick a LT in the first
DE next or OLB .

third CB and SS or FS.
PR/KR
oh that f**king punter we picked up in the 5th round needs to go we need a punter !

f**k you Dork ! I hate you and your family since you took control of our 49ers !

Agree on many of your needs. Which GM would you hire and HC? Also, keep in mind the HC has to replace some 22+ staff. Not exactly an easy task esp. when you consider how many teams may need HC's next year.
Originally posted by NCommand:

"Like" There was no button, so, yup, I just made my own. That's how I roll.
Originally posted by cNiner:
first Need = GM
Second = Offensive HC
DE next or OLB .

third CB and SS or FS.
PR/KR

Agree on many of your needs. Which GM would you hire and HC? Also, keep in mind the HC has to replace some 22+ staff. Not exactly an easy task esp. when you consider how many teams may need HC's next year.
I'd like to see them possibly go after Tom Clements. http://www.packers.com/team/coaches/tom-clements/bb67e02f-a2b1-4543-83af-00f437249c9f

He's a bright offensive mind who's been under one of the best offensive coaches for a number of years and has earned the respect of both mccarthy and thompson enough that they've promoted him several times. Wed still have a WCO with west coast nomenclature, and you know he'd know how to coach qb's. I mean this was an offensive staff that got matt Flynn to throw for 500 yards in a game.

From there, the guy has been around enough and has enough gray hair that I think he'd be able to put together a quality staff.

"Like" There was no button, so, yup, I just made my own. That's how I roll.

Here's your "like" icon for you:

Well done sir!
Share 49ersWebzone