LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 243 users in the forums

2016 Team Information (Needs)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Great list! I am hoping we pickup a veteran guard and DE in free agency, and A Davis returns... the biggest issue I have is Baalke's ability to draft offensive talent. He seems to hit really well on the defense, but can't ever seem to get the offensive guys we need

Then my top picks are
-#1 WR - big-bodied, all around fitz, cooper, andre johnson type of guy
-ILB - Bowman needs a partner in crime
-QB - I am hoping if they like someone in the first, they go ahead and grab him.
-#1 RB - Hyde can't stay healthy and we need a 1-2 punch

Other than that, I agree completely with second and third tier needs. I think we are pretty set with TE and CB. So, the draft should go like this...

Round 1 - QB, WR or ILB (Jaylon Smith). BPA of these 3 positions
Round 1 - I want to see them package some of those 12 picks and get another #1. Maybe a 3, 4, and next years 2? That should get us number 20 or so.

I would love to see Goff & Jaylon Smith for round 1
Thanks NC!

I'm looking the roster over the next few days but there are two huge factors that make me hesitant to put much work into it--1) the injuries suffered this year make it appear that every position is weak and in need of top tier additions, and 2) not knowing what the staff will be next year it's really hard to commit to certain changes/upgrades.

Does the team stay on the WCO/ZBS track? If so they need almost a whole new OL and a big receiver. If they bring in a whole new crew that goes back to power running and blocking...I'll be most unhappy!

Will be back!
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Dec 14, 2015 at 9:46 PM ]
Trade up for Bosa = defense fixed
Originally posted by NCommand:
Dtg...this is for you...sneak peek. Feel free to add on your thread to this one. I'll fill in all the rest of the details later on. Mods, need this Official, please.

Now do your thing!

Top Tier Needs:
QB: Blaine Gabbert; Colin Kaepernick & Dylan Thompson – OK, safe to say, we need a push-starter here (most likely a rookie we plan to develop over a couple years). And it's just our luck this is the worst QB class ever.
Z WR: Anquan Boldin; DeAndre Smelter & Dres Anderson – Coaches really like Smelter, White and Anderson. But what we're REALLY missing in this WCO is that big-bodied play maker who can go across the middle on slants, post patterns, etc.
ROT: Erik Pears; Trenton Brown – Ummm, we need plenty of help along the OL. I'd prefer veteran proven FA's. We don't have time to develop another Chilo Rachel/Marcus Martin.
WILL/ELEPHANT: Ahmad Brooks; Eli Harold & Tank Carradine – This is our biggest need on defense.
RB1: Carlos Hyde; Kendall Gaskins & Mike Davis – Safe to say, Hyde is legit and if we stay WCO, Draughn is a nice pickup for some inside/off tackle runs plus is great in pass protection and is an excellent receiver. I like this combination but we also need an upgrade over Davis. We don't ever want to be down a premier RB again. It derailed our entire season and offensive philosophy.

Second Tier Needs:
RG: Andrew Tiller; Jordan Devey & Brandon Thomas – Tiller or Thomas could still pan out with a full off season but we better not plan on it. Nail a top-notch FA veteran starter.
C: Daniel Kilgore; Marcus Martin – Martin might also be in competition at G but if we could upgrade the C position in FA, you don't hesitate!
LOT: Joe Staley; (Alex Boone) – Staley isn't getting any younger. Move Staley to RT, Boone to left or is Davis coming back?
LG: Alex Boone; Ian Silberman – Can we keep Boone once he tests FA?
RDE: Quinton Dial; Tony Jerod Eddie (Kaleb Ramsey) – Could use another push-starter here or blue chipper to play opposite of AA.
TED: Gerald Hodges; Michael Wilhoite & Shane Skov – If we keep Mangini, we need a speedy ILB who can cover very very well.

Third Tier Needs:
RCB: Kenneth Acker; Dontae Johnson & Chris Davis – Only if there is a blue-chipper with serious upgrade potential. Fix the pass rush = better back end play.
X WR: Torrey Smith; Jerome Simpson & Quinton Patton – I may be the only one who likes Simpson (very similar skill set to Smith) but it can't hurt to get another burner here. Our offense was done once Smith went out with injury.
PK: Phil Dawson – Time for a challenger.
PR/KOR: Bruce Ellington & Quinton Patton – We need a legit play maker here!

Assessment:
That's 15 needs with 11 true needs. We have 12 picks right now plus whatever we get for CK. Once CK, Bethea, Brooks, etc. contracts are dealt with, we're expecting somewhere between $50-60M+ in FA and most likely, top 5 picks.

Wow, great work. So based on your board that means the team will be looking at for the 1st round Goff, Lynch, R.Stanley, J.Smith, M.Jack, L.Treadwell. Given one or two of the QBs are likely to be off the board as well as Tunsil, I'm almost wondering if it would come down to Mack or Smith.

I wouldn't know where to go with this one because I'm not too sold in any of the top QBs this year. In many respects it feels like 2005 all over again.
[ Edited by bzborow1 on Dec 14, 2015 at 10:29 PM ]
Nailed it on the OL NC. Get in proven FA talent at RT and G/C. Stop mucking around hoping a late draft pick will do the trick.
Originally posted by blm7754:
Top tier needs.... competent coordinators. Tomsula will likely be back next year. He can win supporters by hiring a decent OC and DC.

Chryst is a terrible play caller. He's decent in terms of overall philosophy, but doesn't call good plays for the down and distance. He's too bent on being unpredictable.

Mangini is also too bent on being unpredictable. He does a decent job of disguising coverages and making QBs really think, but when you can't generate a pass rush the coverage inevitably will fail. More damning is the piss poor run defense. There is just no excuse for this.

After that, our needs are as follows:

DE/OLB/ILB - We just need to add a stud to the front 7. We lost P. Willis and A. Smith. We need a stud that offenses have to account for. Someone who can bring a pass rush and stop the run.

OT - A. Davis will probably return. But Staley is aging and Boone is a FA. We need someone who can play OT. My ideal scenario would be to draft a RT early. Move A. Davis to RG. Retain Boone as LG.

OC - Kilgore is better than Martin, but even he was never great. I'd prefer to go for a veteran here. We need someone powerful who can recognize blitzes and stunts and call out the right protections.

WR - I like Smith and Patton, but we need a big bodied possession receiver that can take over for Boldin.

Really nice post. Obviously, I agree!
Originally posted by jrouter4949:
Big-Bodied WR? what do yo think Smelter is for? Smelter also has some speed too.

He really is the one I'm keeping my eye on. But if there is a Kelvin Benjamin there, you take that BPA and let him and Smelter compete like crazy. If T.Smith goes down again, we need a like-player. If the Z goes down, we need a like-player. Like when Hyde went down, we did not have a like-player and our offense was done. When VD failed, we turned to Celek/McDonald/Bell. When Celek and McDonald went down, you saw how that affected our offense. This offense was massively strapped by key injuries to the skill positions and the drop off from starter to backup.
Originally posted by SJniner7:
Great list! I am hoping we pickup a veteran guard and DE in free agency, and A Davis returns... the biggest issue I have is Baalke's ability to draft offensive talent. He seems to hit really well on the defense, but can't ever seem to get the offensive guys we need

Then my top picks are
-QB - I am hoping if they like someone in the first, they go ahead and grab him.

Other than that, I agree completely with second and third tier needs. I think we are pretty set with TE and CB. So, the draft should go like this...

Round 1 - I want to see them package some of those 12 picks and get another #1. Maybe a 3, 4, and next years 2? That should get us number 20 or so.

I would love to see Goff & Jaylon Smith for round 1

That sounds like a very sound approach to me!
Originally posted by KezarLivin:
Nailed it on the OL NC. Get in proven FA talent at RT and G/C. Stop mucking around hoping a late draft pick will do the trick.

Originally posted by bzborow1:
Wow, great work. So based on your board that means the team will be looking at for the 1st round Goff, Lynch, R.Stanley, J.Smith, M.Jack, L.Treadwell. Given one or two of the QBs are likely to be off the board as well as Tunsil, I'm almost wondering if it would come down to Mack or Smith.

I wouldn't know where to go with this one because I'm not too sold in any of the top QBs this year. In many respects it feels like 2005 all over again.

This too. Very frustrating...basically 2005 minus no Aaron Rodgers available.

Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Thanks NC!

I'm looking the roster over the next few days but there are two huge factors that make me hesitant to put much work into it--1) the injuries suffered this year make it appear that every position is weak and in need of top tier additions, and 2) not knowing what the staff will be next year it's really hard to commit to certain changes/upgrades.

Does the team stay on the WCO/ZBS track? If so they need almost a whole new OL and a big receiver. If they bring in a whole new crew that goes back to power running and blocking...I'll be most unhappy!

Will be back!

You are so right that scheme will massively dictate the players Baalke chooses. We forget how many players Baalke brought in for Singletary, Harbaugh, etc. to fit their ID's.

Injuries. Look at these injuries from last year and this year (unbelievable):

2014:
RB: Frank Gore & Carlos Hyde
ROT: Anthony Davis
C: Marcus Martin
RDE: Justin Smith
SAM: Ahmad Brooks
RCB: Chris Culliver
LCB: Tramaine Brock

Injured Reserve:
RB: Kendall Hunter
WR Kassim Osgood
WR: Chuck Jacobs
TE: Vance McDonald
TE: Derek Carrier
TE: Garrett Celek
G: Fou Fonoti
C: Daniel Kilgore
NT: Glenn Dorsey
NT: Ian Williams
ILB: Patrick Willis
ILB: NaVorro Bowman
ILB: Chris Borland
CB: Kenneth Acker
CB: Chris Cook
DB: Jimmie Ward
OT: Luke Marquardt

Reserve/Non Football Injury:
FB: Trey Millard
OG: Brandon Thomas
CB: Keith Reaser

Reserve/Physically Unable To Perform
DE: Kaleb Ramsey

2015:
QB: Colin Kaepernick
RB1: Carlos Hyde & Mike Davis
RB2: Reggie Bush
FB: Busta Anderson
Z WR: DeAndre Smelter & Dres Anderson
LG: Alex Boone
LDE: Glenn Dorsey
TED: Michael Wilhoite
SLOT (S/CB): Jimmie Ward
FS: L.J. McCray
SS: Antoine Bethea
This too. Very frustrating...basically 2005 minus no Aaron Rodgers available.

Remember though, Aaron Rodgers wasn't looked at as being the unquestioned number 1 guys. A lot of mocks had him 1 simply because they thought we would go with the Bay Area connection. Hell, I think Leinart was really seen as the number one guy if he would have declared. You just never know who the guys gonna be (exception being Luck, that's the biggest lock since Elway). Goff is the guy I could be happy with in the top 5 picks.
You are so right that scheme will massively dictate the players Baalke chooses. We forget how many players Baalke brought in for Singletary, Harbaugh, etc. to fit their ID's.

Injuries. Look at these injuries from last year and this year (unbelievable):

2014:
RB: Frank Gore & Carlos Hyde
ROT: Anthony Davis
C: Marcus Martin
RDE: Justin Smith
SAM: Ahmad Brooks
RCB: Chris Culliver
LCB: Tramaine Brock

Injured Reserve:
RB: Kendall Hunter
WR Kassim Osgood
WR: Chuck Jacobs
TE: Vance McDonald
TE: Derek Carrier
G: Fou Fonoti
C: Daniel Kilgore
NT: Glenn Dorsey
NT: Ian Williams
ILB: Patrick Willis
ILB: NaVorro Bowman
ILB: Chris Borland
CB: Kenneth Acker
CB: Chris Cook
DB: Jimmie Ward
OT: Luke Marquardt

Reserve/Non Football Injury:
FB: Trey Millard
OG: Brandon Thomas
CB: Keith Reaser

Reserve/Physically Unable To Perform
DE: Kaleb Ramsey

2015:
QB: Colin Kaepernick
RB1: Carlos Hyde & Mike Davis
RB2: Reggie Bush
FB: Busta Anderson
Z WR: DeAndre Smelter & Dres Anderson
LG: Alex Boone
LDE: Glenn Dorsey
TED: Michael Wilhoite
SLOT (S/CB): Jimmie Ward
FS: L.J. McCray
SS: Antoine Bethea

Feel bad for Tomsula with all these injuries and retirements! But football isn't very forgiving and the team looks like it isn't playing hard for him.
Originally posted by SJniner7:

Then my top picks are

I would love to see Tunsil & Jaylon Smith for round 1

Fixed.

Not a Goff fan, or any qb in this class. I may be wrong, but I say we shore up the line first, give Gabby a full year and decided after next season if we address qb, next years qb class cant be this weak.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Feel bad for Tomsula with all these injuries and retirements! But football isn't very forgiving and the team looks like it isn't playing hard for him.

It's insane actually. When you lose Hyde and have no like-ready-RB, there goes our offense. Then VD goes VD and that hurts badly. Finally, we make the switch to Celek and McDonald and then those two go down. CK goes CK and we finally make the switch to Gabbert and despite all those losses and ID gone, the OL regresses and gives up 9 sacks, 22 pressures and 11 hits against the BROWNS. We then lose T.Smith, Boldin is still only about 85%, you're relying on Ellington and Patton? Bad news. No wonder Draughn has been 27% of our offense off the streets. It's just mind-boggling. And now Boone is out, Kilgore is just coming back, Martin has to start, Pears gave up 3 sacks just last game, etc. And Gabbert JUST about got injured himself. Honestly, I'd cash it in and just play Thompson to preserve Gabbert's health.
Share 49ersWebzone