There are 149 users in the forums

Week 14 2015: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Morgy
  • Hey bud, what’s your problem?
And Seattle's O-line was supposed to be the worst in the NFL...

I agree that the O-line looked like they gave up at times . Show some damn fire at least, instead looking like a bunch of pushovers.
Words cannot express how crushing it was to watch this game. At this point it's not even worth me even doing an analysis because we all know why this team is loosing, and we all know how this team has sunk so deep so fast, and it isn't just injuries. we're poorly coached, poorly owned, and the GM has had multiple bad drafts. It's really that simple. Nothing complicated at all. As long as Jed Dork, Baalke, and Jimmy T. are running this team we're gonna be bad for a long time.

Welcome to the dark ages
Can't re-watch it.

It's easily one of the all-time five worst games I've seen over the last 50 plus years.
Another great analysis Marvin.
I dunno...wasn't all that difficult for me to watch this one.

Dunno if I can really explain it. For me, I've almost removed the emotion even on first viewing because my expectation level has radically changed. In the past I can detach like that upon second viewing, but I can do it now watching it live. I'm not even really looking at performance as a whole and am watching individual players even as the game is in progress.

I guess the best way to put it is that I'm looking to the future even while evaluating the immediate present.

For me, its almost like watching a Senior Bowl. Results don't matter...just looking at who is a part of the future and who is not. "Yup, I like that guy. Nope, I don't like that guy".
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Dec 14, 2015 at 10:55 AM ]
sorry Man , I was sick after the game , never in my life felt that way even Sing days and the guys before him. JT even worse than Sing !
Thoughts:

1. Armstead/Tartt: To Marvin's initial post I'm going to second him to say I like what I'm seeing from both of these guys thus far. Tartt makes mistakes but he's a rookie so it's not all the uncommon to make mistakes. I think if you give him time he's going to be really good. As for Armstead, he has yet to really show up in a stat sheet and can be inconsistent on some plays, but man this guy can blow people up. It's scary to think what kind of strength this guy could have with a full NFL off-season.

2. Offensive line: I'm not really sure what I can say that hasn't already been said about this group. Just. Awful.

3. Gabbert: I posted last week suggesting that teams might be adjusting to Gabbert's new game tape and taking away the throws they see he wants to make. Well, this game was proof positive that the league may be onto Blaine. It's like in baseball when a hot rookie hitter goes through the league a second time and has trouble. Guess what? The other team has defensive coordinators who are paid, too. He's going to have to start making some of the throws he doesn't "like" to make.

4. Coaching: When everything is wrong it speaks to organization, preparedness and coaching. You NEVER saw a Harbaugh team come out as unprepared as this team was yesterday. Never. They may have lost, but they fought hard and came prepared.

5. Thomas, Brown: How bad must these guys be to not be seeing game action? Even part time action.
[ Edited by bzborow1 on Dec 14, 2015 at 10:57 AM ]
Originally posted by cNiner:
sorry Man , I was sick after the game , never in my life felt that way even Sing days and the guys before him. JT even worse than Sing !

But why even get emotionally involved? Seasons been over for awhile. Wins and Losses only determining draft position.

Them looking that bad only highlights where the problems are. I much prefer a game like Cleveland that illustrates the fact that a total rebuild may be in order than a game like Chicago where you get a false sense that they can "get by".

My worst nightmare is them winning just enough games to lose a top 10 pick AND make ownership everything can be hunky dory.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Dec 14, 2015 at 11:00 AM ]
Originally posted by Marvin49:

But why even get emotionally involved? Seasons been over for awhile. Wins and Losses only determining draft position.

Them looking that bad only highlights where the problems are. I much prefer a game like Cleveland that illustrates the fact that a total rebuild may be in order than a game like Chicago where you get a false sense that they can "get by".

My worst nightmare is them winning just enough games to lose a top 10 pick AND make ownership everything can be hunky dory.

Exactly this.

Very well-put. I guess I was just shocked that they were even worse than I thought they were and shocked that the coaching staff was so flat-out bad. But there were a few players who played well. Some of them played their way right off the team IMO - I'm looking at you Lemonier and Brooks. And I think that game greatly increased the possibility that the entire coaching staff will be fired.

If we had a GM that had picked a decent OL in the draft over the last few years we wouldn't be starting guy who shouldn't even be on a team. So what good is a high draft pick if you are always picking the wrong talent?

Take chances on half a dozen hurt players who have produced nothing is one reason we are where we are.

How many players on our team would start for good teams? Maybe a handful? I know injuries happen but we have a team of barely backups to practice squad maybes.

They did not resign Frank Gore. 8 or 9 guys have carried the ball for the 49ers this year. That is unheard of.
They trade 3 or 4 Tight Ends? I've lost count. They are down to starting a Rookie and a practice squad player.
They traded for OL who should not be on the team let alone a starter.

There is nothing more to see here. This team needs an enema and it starts at the GM.
I think that in this game more than any so far this year the offensive line really live up to its name, offensive. Even Staley played badly. Now with Boone hurt things could get even uglier depending on the severity of the injury.

Not Gabbert's best game for sure but I still am inclined to think that the arrow is pointing up on him maybe not as a long term solution but certainly as someone to bridge the gap. He made some really good throws in that game and was once again victimized by some untimely drops. He loses points for running out of bounds behind the line of scrimmage on a couple of plays, though.

Dial, Armstead and Tartt plus some of the other young corners they have are all reason for optimism as far as the defense goes. Hodges seemed to make some plays as well. The team has to find some more quality linebackers though. Lemonier looks like a bust and Harold hasn't shown much either.

Like Draughn and expect he will be back next year. It will be good to have someone to take some of Hyde's snaps as I have a feeling his career is going to be a pretty short one given all the pounding he takes. Maybe Davis will step up as well.

I know Boldin has said he would like to come back next year but it's hard to believe that he will have that much left in the tank. The guy is a warrior but his best days are certainly behind him at this point.

Season was over they day Jed decided to Fire Harbaugh. And it isn't going to be better for a long time.
Originally posted by Godfather:

If we had a GM that had picked a decent OL in the draft over the last few years we wouldn't be starting guy who shouldn't even be on a team. So what good is a high draft pick if you are always picking the wrong talent?

Take chances on half a dozen hurt players who have produced nothing is one reason we are where we are.

How many players on our team would start for good teams? Maybe a handful? I know injuries happen but we have a team of barely backups to practice squad maybes.

They did not resign Frank Gore. 8 or 9 guys have carried the ball for the 49ers this year. That is unheard of.
They trade 3 or 4 Tight Ends? I've lost count. They are down to starting a Rookie and a practice squad player.
They traded for OL who should not be on the team let alone a starter.

There is nothing more to see here. This team needs an enema and it starts at the GM.

This is the worst logic ever.

"Our GM sucks so who cares if we get a good pick?". Well in that case, who cares about anything ever?

For the record...

That same GM selected the two players we lost this offseason along the O-Line. Who expects a 26 year old RT to retire?

Yup, his OTHER picks at O-Line haven't worked out, but it doesn't work out for everyone all the time...ever.

Frank Gore is currently averaging 3.6 yards per carry in Indy. Get over it.

When he was healthy, Hyde was averaging 4.0 yards per carry behind the worst line in football.

TE? Did you see Vernon lose the game for Denver? They got a pick for a player that's DONE. Did you see McDonald get hurt? Did you see Celek get hurt? How exactly is that the GMs fault?

They traded for a lineman when it became clear Thomas wasn't working out and neither were the other young players on the team. Its not like starting O-Linemen are just sitting out there to be had just before the season starts. Mathis was never an option because he wanted to play for a winner and the 49ers were not viewed as such.

This BS about Baalke is just as lazy as the BS with York. No GM is perfect.

Who has Baalke drafted?

Anthony Davis. Mike Iupati. Navorro Bowman. Aldon Smith. Colin Kaepernick. Chris Culliver. Daniel Kilgore. Bruce Miller. Eric Reid. Quinton Dial. Jimmie Ward. Carlos Hyde. Chris Borland. Aaron Lynch. Kenneth Acker. Arik Armstead. Jaquiski Tartt.

...among others.

No GM bats 1000. NOBODY. Nobody bats .500. Just doesn't happen. Not every player selected is going to be a starting NFL player. Taking good backups is ALSO important.

I haven't even gotten to the luck he's had in the bargain basement in Free Agency. Clearly didn't work this year, but it has in a big way in the past (Rogers, Whitner, Goodwin).
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Dec 14, 2015 at 11:59 AM ]
  • Morgy
  • Hey bud, what’s your problem?

The next three games...all three could go either way IMO. But all three could be considered losses...
[ Edited by Morgan49 on Dec 14, 2015 at 12:06 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone