LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 267 users in the forums

Week 14 2015: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
1) Gabbert: ...and THAT is why I was hesitant to crown him. LOL. To be clear, I'm not writing him off either. Anyone can have a bad day and he was under constant pressure all day...but some of those sacks are on him just as many sacks of Kap were on Kap.

Big step back yesterday though. No question really. Held the ball a few times when he shouldn't have and didn't really make any great throws. Tough to watch.

2) O-Line: That was rough. Struggling players and an injury to boot. At times it looked like they had just given up. Marcus Martin is HORRIFIC. Can't play guard. Can't play center. Effectively simply can't play. I wish they'd play Brandon Thomas just to see what he's got. Could he REALLY be THAT much worse than Martin?

3) Armstead: There wasn't a lot pretty going on out there if you were a Niner fan, but Armstead is a bright spot. MAN that guys got power. Yes, he got a sack. Yes, he got in the face of the QB on a few plays...but there was one play I had to watch 5 or 6 times. He bull rushes the guard and puts the guy flat on his a$$ forcing Manziel to scramble left. I really don't know what his critics are watching when they watch him play. Surely he isn't perfect, but he's got all the makings of a DAMN good 3-4 end and seems to be improving with every passing game.

4) Tartt: Same deal. Looks like a really great pick so far. I think Betheas days are done in SF. He's not getting his job back. There are times that Tartt misses tackles though and it concerns me, but on the whole I think it was a really good pick. Say what you want about Baalke, but I think he may have just found 2 really good pieces moving forward in the top two rounds of the draft.

5) Harold: Yeah. Not so much. Thoroughly unimpressed so far.

6) Reid: I know there are a lot of critics for Reid on this site as well and I am typically not one of them...but MAN that guy has got to learn to take better angles. Often seems to be in the wrong position when trying to make a tackle. Right now, both safeties are good hitters but not great tacklers. That needs to change.

7) Hyde: Sometimes, I really hate being right. I'd have to go back and check, but I'm pretty sure in my very first "thoughts" thread of the season I mentioned that I really like Hyde, but that his running style made me nervous about him staying healthy. Two years now and he's been injured in both. Now in IR. I actually like the move to IR as I see no reason why he should be playing this time of year with this record, but moving forward they need to get another guy. They can't depend on Hyde to stay healthy. Droughns? Maybe. They need to draft somebody and considering that they've taken a back in every draft for like 8 straight years, I'm guessing they'll do so again.

8) Dial: For all the BS Baalke gets for taking injured players, nobody seems to give him much credit for taking Dial late in the draft. He's turned into a pretty solid player for them. He's not going to set the world on fire rushing the passer and Pass Rush will be a huge need going into the offseason, but Dial has really turned into a good find in round 5.

9) Martin: I just felt in necessary to mention AGAIN how badly Marcus Martin sucks. Its really painful.

10) Draft: So back up to the 5th pick again. Three more weeks before this nightmare of a season is over and we can hopefully begin looking forward to better things in the future.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Dec 14, 2015 at 8:22 AM ]
I really can't be said any better than this, imo.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/five-takeaways-49ers-week-14-loss-cleveland
Gabbert- good backup. Is adequate for short stretches. Will never be good consistently, long term

O-line- horrific

Harold - worthless

You missed tomsula. Worst coach in the nfl. Just a cluless, worthless idiot. Worst coach in franchise history. Below Erickson and singletary

Marvin, I know you don't like the mean s**t to Jed but this is why the spoiled kid shouldn't have trolled last week. He got wet after a lucky win and had to tweet about it. Now he's mia. Even though you look down on the 98.5% of fans who despise the spoiled kid, he's cluless or a troll for that. Should have responded yesterday.

This is a f**king embarrassment to this proud franchise. We are f**ked for a while. This spoiled f**k and his mom have ruined the franchise. Players can get cut, coaches fired, GMs can be canned, but owners or their spoiled kids cannot be held accountable. HOW CAN WE?
Originally posted by sacniner:
Gabbert- good backup. Is adequate for short stretches. Will never be good consistently, long term

O-line- horrific

Harold - worthless

You missed tomsula. Worst coach in the nfl. Just a cluless, worthless idiot. Worst coach in franchise history. Below Erickson and singletary

Marvin, I know you don't like the mean s**t to Jed but this is why the spoiled kid shouldn't have trolled last week. He got wet after a lucky win and had to tweet about it. Now he's mia. Even though you look down on the 98.5% of fans who despise the spoiled kid, he's cluless or a troll for that. Should have responded yesterday.

This is a f**king embarrassment to this proud franchise. We are f**ked for a while. This spoiled f**k and his mom have ruined the franchise. Players can get cut, coaches fired, GMs can be canned, but owners or their spoiled kids cannot be held accountable. HOW CAN WE?

Dude...we have very different ideas of what entails "trolling". The dude said something to the effect of "Good Win".

If that's enough to set off your troll meter, I have no idea what to do with that.
This team looked ill prepared. Almost seemed like they where acting like a 10-2 team that could just throw their helmets out there and win the ball game. This is a terrible look for the coaching staff. I've made no bones about it that I want Tomsula gone. I'm hoping an embarrassing loss to the Ohio-based Brown will force the hands of the Ohio-based Yorks. Utterly embarrassing.

The defensive scheme yesterday made manziel look like the Johnny football Texas A&M guy. And the play of the OL made their defense look like the '85 Bears. Now, I realize we are a bad ball club, but there's no excuse to get absolutely man handled by a team that's gonna loss 12+ games. Until garbage time the yardage was like 475-150 or something ridiculous like that. It was unreal.
[ Edited by Niners816 on Dec 14, 2015 at 9:01 AM ]
Receivers and TE-

Not sure why they have to put Simpson in there. The only thing I can think of is Torrey is somewhat injured and they needed Simpson speed and size. Ellington was suspect too.

Blake Bell at TE. He missed a few blocks on running playings. Not good enough to help out in the passing game like McD.

Gabbert basically had a gimpy Boldin and Patton
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Dec 14, 2015 at 9:06 AM ]
Originally posted by cNiner:

I just "Love" this shot!
How did Kilgore play??
Can we stop drafting Olineman from USC?

• thl408
The team didn't show up to play and I put this on the coaches- mainly Tomsula. Since he delegates most of the game planning to his assistants (read this somewhere), I assume he is in charge of setting the tempo and mindset during meetings and practice. When the team comes out flat like that, that's on Tomsula. To have the team get too confident after that CHI is a fail on his part to check the team to prevent overconfidence. Starting slow has been a problem all season. The team never even got started yesterday.

Gabbert looked like JAC Gabbert. I know the OL was crap, but he had shown an ability to function despite bad OL play with his showings against SEA and ARI. He was completely non-functional yesterday. Everytime CLE dropped 8 to take away his first read, he looked lost. A lot of sacks points to bad OL play. 9 sacks means the QB shares the blame.

Gameplanning was bad on both sides of the ball. Coming out pass happy against the worst ranked run defense. Playing soft zones when the only player that can apply QB pressure was missing (Lynch). Complete opposites of what they should have been doing. They should established the run first so that the playaction works. Pressure Manziel to make quick decisions and man up against the meh CLE WRs. And the 49er run defense, just terrible - and against the worst ranked run offense. Seemed like a full blown tank job from the coaching staff.
Thanks Marvin, what about the Lemon? There is no doubt guys on the street can do better. Harold shows Zero, skinny lower body, he and Lemon are powder-puffs.
Originally posted by cNiner:

lady on the left
How about that Ahmad Brooks !

Way to be a leader out there while letting party boy Johnny get in your head. Apart from doing squat all year, hell since last year, you still find ways to get your named called on Sundays. Unfortunately it is all for the wrong reasons you bum. Should have cut this idiot last year but obviously our OLB depth is beyond terrible.
I attended that disaster yesterday. My observations:

1. Gabbert was running for his life and had zero time to throw.
2. Only bright spots on defense was Armstead, Tartt, and Dial. Armstead is going to be a monster.
3. The entire right side of the Oline needs major upgrades! Massive need in free agency or draft.
4. Ellington is a gigantic dissapointment. I was extremely wrong on him after after he was drafted.
5. Coaching staff needs completely blown up. They were embarrassed by the worst team in football.
Share 49ersWebzone