There are 156 users in the forums

Would you rather...

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Would you rather...

The coaching staff getting another year is not based on yo gabba's play. They're not going anywhere. You don't hire a coach to fire him after a year considered the exodus of talent we had in the offseason, which was completely out of anyone's control.
Would you rather have a receding hairline or a proceeding hairline?
Originally posted by jedediahyork:
The coaching staff getting another year is not based on yo gabba's play. They're not going anywhere. You don't hire a coach to fire him after a year considered the exodus of talent we had in the offseason, which was completely out of anyone's control.

Actually you can, when it's an internal hire. Similar to a interim coach. It's a lot more tough when you hire all outside guys

Now the question is if there's a proven guy out there after the season
[ Edited by 49AllTheTime on Dec 12, 2015 at 12:00 PM ]
Originally posted by nj9er:
Yes and no, because like I said if Gabbert just shows he is competent it probably kills our chances at drafting someone like Goff. One our draft position will be too low and would require trading up. Two of you feel like Gabbert is the answer and he wins 2 more games does that mean Tomsula gets another shot? He needs to fail and lose the next 4 games in order to even get a shot at Goff. He also needs to lose the next four games to have a shot at ditching Tomsula.

Also let's say Gabbert does keep losing and Goff is available but we keep Tomsula. Now in 2016 another bad year and Tomsula still doesn't win. Now a new coach and new system has put Goff in 2 systems in 2 years and you're back to an Alex Smith situation. Or maybe the new coach doesn't fit Goffs style and you a situation where the coach tries to push the QB out like in Washington.

I just see Gabbert as settling and setting back the direction of this franchise till 2018. I'd much rather him fail get the right staff and right QB and be relevant for the next 10 years.

I completely agree. I think that's the worst case scenario is to be comfortable with Gabbert, and for those who just want to win no matter what I feel are only focused on the short term. I don't want to win a game here or there or has off and on winning seasons. I want to go back to what we were in the 89s and 90s. I'm looking to be a team like the Steelers, Patriots, Packers, or Colts have been. We got a taste of it and management flushed it all away. This Gabbert situation just draws this out at least another year.

Maybe we will get lucky and keep a high draft position and use it to take a QB high, ideally drop a spot and still get out guy and pick up some more ammo. I just don't have the confidence in Baalke to take a QB high when Gabbert has shown some ability to run the offense. Now I don't know enough about these QBs to say Goff will or won't be the guy just that the organization needs to feel comfortable in whatever QB they take high can be a franchise QB.

Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:
You have to think to yourself what will Baalke/York do, not what would you do.

York/ Baalke see in 2016 they have a serviceable QB in Gabbert who is getting backup money. Why spend first round money on a Franchise QB. Next year the line from C to RT should be better Kilgore and Anthony Davis should be back and healthy. Tiller has been doing ok at RG so maybe they don't focus a high pick on the OL and maybe we don't need to right away.

So if I'm them I go draft another position with a top ten pick. Only thing I can see them picking is a LB to replace Willis or a WR, but knowing Trent the pick is a LB.

I don't know how excited I can be about a 4-6 win team going into 2016 with Gabbert at QB and a first round LB. Also no matter how well they do in the draft we barely play rookies anyway so 2016 is basically a lost season I my mind hopefully something changes that makes us a good team again.

First round money is still backup QB money with the current salary cap agreement. Whoever we pick is going to be paid ~$4 million a year depending on our exact draft position. Gabbert's cheap contract in 2016 should have no impact on whether the 49ers draft a QB - the fact that his contract expires after 2016 should have an impact because it means we could potentially lose him or have to pay him a lot more money than our first round pick will cost (potentially $10 million a year more if Gabbert plays well). I chose option B purely because I want a better draft pick in 2017. Best case for me is Gabbert is atrocious next year and we win 3 games, but the rest of our young players show sings of improvement and Goff looks really impressive and can take over in 2017. A cheap franchise QB and the #1 pick in 2017 is a much better scenario than an expensive franchise QB and mid-round pick in 2017.

You are kidding? You want Gabbert to self destruct next year and for us to be so bad that we get the 1st overall pick in 2017? To me, that would be worst case scenario and I can't even begin to put myself in the mind of a fan who, after the last off-season and this season is actually hoping things get worse. That sounds like a Cleveland Browns type of philosophy to me.

I'm hoping the team plays as well next season, but loses close games instead of winning them. We're very lucky to have 4 wins right now (or unlucky if you're rooting for draft position). This team is one of the worst in the league. If the rest of the team plays a little better and our QB plays worse next year, we could be in the running for a top pick. The fastest way to rebuild would be to have 2 years of high picks while our young guys steadily improve and to get lucky and find a franchise QB through the draft which will free up even more money to bring in free agents.

The team talent is roughly the same next year whether we lose all our close games and finish with 4 wins or win a lot of close games and finish with 8 wins. If we have a weakness next season which causes us to fall to the #1 pick, I'm hoping it's at the QB position rather than a team wide issue which would take longer to fix. And I'd rather have a future franchise QB on the bench and the #1 pick than a franchise QB now whose prime will be wasted because the team has no talent around him.

I'm rooting for our young players to progress (and our old players to suck and improve our draft position). Gabbert is the exception, because I think we're several years from being competitive, so if Gabbert plays like a solid starting QB, it would hurt our draft position. From that perspective, we're much better off having a QB 5 years younger who may not be able to start right away but can grow with the team while we accumulate much needed talent. Worst case for me is Gabbert playing like a solid starter, plateauing, and the team going 8-8 and 9-7 the next 5 years. I'd rather have us absolutely suck for a year or two so we can bring in players to build around.
[ Edited by eastcoast49ersfan on Dec 13, 2015 at 11:30 AM ]
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by jedediahyork:

Actually you can, when it's an internal hire. Similar to a interim coach. It's a lot more tough when you hire all outside guys

Now the question is if there's a proven guy out there after the season THAT WANTS TO COACH HERE.

Fixed
Draft a QB, every year until one emerges as a real franchise QB. No team, no coach, no system works with out a great QB, why would any team ever stop looking for the next Montana, Manning, or Brady?

Blaine, is a fine bridge, maybe he develops into a good journeymen, but never stop looking.
  • nj9er
  • Veteran
Originally posted by English:
You have to think to yourself what will Baalke/York do, not what would you do.

York/ Baalke see in 2016 they have a serviceable QB in Gabbert who is getting backup money. Why spend first round money on a Franchise QB. Next year the line from C to RT should be better Kilgore and Anthony Davis should be back and healthy. Tiller has been doing ok at RG so maybe they don't focus a high pick on the OL and maybe we don't need to right away.

So if I'm them I go draft another position with a top ten pick. Only thing I can see them picking is a LB to replace Willis or a WR, but knowing Trent the pick is a LB.

I don't know how excited I can be about a 4-6 win team going into 2016 with Gabbert at QB and a first round LB. Also no matter how well they do in the draft we barely play rookies anyway so 2016 is basically a lost season I my mind hopefully something changes that makes us a good team again.

First round money is still backup QB money with the current salary cap agreement. Whoever we pick is going to be paid ~$4 million a year depending on our exact draft position. Gabbert's cheap contract in 2016 should have no impact on whether the 49ers draft a QB - the fact that his contract expires after 2016 should have an impact because it means we could potentially lose him or have to pay him a lot more money than our first round pick will cost (potentially $10 million a year more if Gabbert plays well). I chose option B purely because I want a better draft pick in 2017. Best case for me is Gabbert is atrocious next year and we win 3 games, but the rest of our young players show sings of improvement and Goff looks really impressive and can take over in 2017. A cheap franchise QB and the #1 pick in 2017 is a much better scenario than an expensive franchise QB and mid-round pick in 2017.

You are kidding? You want Gabbert to self destruct next year and for us to be so bad that we get the 1st overall pick in 2017? To me, that would be worst case scenario and I can't even begin to put myself in the mind of a fan who, after the last off-season and this season is actually hoping things get worse. That sounds like a Cleveland Browns type of philosophy to me.

I'm hoping the team plays as well next season, but loses close games instead of winning them. We're very lucky to have 4 wins right now (or unlucky if you're rooting for draft position). This team is one of the worst in the league. If the rest of the team plays a little better and our QB plays worse next year, we could be in the running for a top pick. The fastest way to rebuild would be to have 2 years of high picks while our young guys steadily improve and to get lucky and find a franchise QB through the draft which will free up even more money to bring in free agents.

The team talent is roughly the same next year whether we lose all our close games and finish with 4 wins or win a lot of close games and finish with 8 wins. If we have a weakness next season which causes us to fall to the #1 pick, I'm hoping it's at the QB position rather than a team wide issue which would take longer to fix. And I'd rather have a future franchise QB on the bench and the #1 pick than a franchise QB now whose prime will be wasted because the team has no talent around him.

I'm rooting for our young players to progress (and our old players to suck and improve our draft position). Gabbert is the exception, because I think we're several years from being competitive, so if Gabbert plays like a solid starting QB, it would hurt our draft position. From that perspective, we're much better off having a QB 5 years younger who may not be able to start right away but can grow with the team while we accumulate much needed talent. Worst case for me is Gabbert playing like a solid starter, plateauing, and the team going 8-8 and 9-7 the next 5 years. I'd rather have us absolutely suck for a year or two so we can bring in players to build around.

I'd like to start winning right away but you're right. Tennessee and Tampa are prime examples. You knew they weren't going to be teams that would make the playoff but Winston and Mariotta at least give you hope for the future and something to watch on Sunday.

This draft too there are only a few teams that are really need QBs bad enough to take them high like the Rams & Browns (although if Manziel plays well they may not go for QB). If you read certain thing Stafford, Cutler, Romo, & Brees maybe replaced but I doubt they feel the need to draft them at top of round one. Other teams like Jets & Houston have a long way to trade up. This works to our advantage because we can trade back a few spots and give someone the tackle or pass rusher they want and still have room to get one of the top 3 QBs in the draft. I just worry Rams will take the QB we want and leave us with option 2.

If we could trade back get a franchise QB and get another 1st round pick we could pair up a WR and QB in the 1st and a OL in the 2nd. We are that much better if we hit on all 3. Now if guys like Armstead, Harold, Tartt have good jump from year one to year 2 we could be a competitive team next year and a playoff team in 2017.
  • Goatie
  • Veteran
I think there has been too much focus on the flaws of Kaepernick and Gabbert.

Yes they both have to lift their game and I am sure Kaep was having a confidence slump but he can recover from that.

But the real problem is not with the QB position but with the O Line.

Not ever Aaron Rogers could work well with our O Line.

Get rid of Geep, Devey and Pears to start with.
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by MFWIC:
Originally posted by valrod33:
Option C. Fire Tomsula either way

Who replaces him?

Adam Gase

We should get Fangio as DC.

It is not what i rather but rather what will happen and that is Gabbert will be proven 2nd class
Share 49ersWebzone