LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 277 users in the forums

Would you rather...

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Would you rather...

• Chico
  • Veteran
Gabbert's only 26 and drafting a rookie is going to mean 2-3 years of grooming unless he's a miracle child which is rare these days. I want to see Gabbert succeed and if we win a few more games bring back JT and give hime one more year of building some continuity.
  • fly15
  • Veteran
I hope we keep gabbert as the starter... but I'm afraid of a qb controversy if kap comes back
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Why would anyone vote for option B? Gabbert thriving is a win-win situation, good QBs are hard to come across, if you have one it is a very good thing.

I'll never understand how anyone could want players on their favorite team to fail.

Even though I couldn't stand Kaepernick's immaturity off the field, I never wanted him to fail.
Neither! Draft Lynch, Cook, or Goff in the first. Let Gabbert bridge to the new QB.
[ Edited by 9ersLiferInChicago on Dec 12, 2015 at 8:44 AM ]
Originally posted by fly15:
I hope we keep gabbert as the starter... but I'm afraid of a qb controversy if kap comes back
Kaep won't be back, trust me. If we have a QB controversy with Gabbert and Kaep it will be a QB controversy of two mediocre QB's - that's not progess. If we have a QB controversy let it be in 2017 after the new QB has sat a season. But a in any event a QB controversy with Gabbert/Kaep vs. Lynch/Cook/Goff in 2017 would be a sign of progress IMHO.
Gabbert passes the eye test,he looks like an NFL QB. Kap had no screen game and no touch, I can't see keeping him here any longer. Gabbert is always looking downfield and is more illusive in the pocket than anyone imagined. The talk is to draft a "franchise QB", how many are there in the NFL right now? By my count (add whomever you like) there are Brady, Rodgers, Big Ben and the more I see Cam the better he becomes. So they don't come along often, and this draft does not appear to have any. Ride Gabbert as far as he goes.
How about just letting Gabbert play QB and see what we have going forward ?
Everyone wants to draft Goff, in the first round no less. Bwahahaha

If he declares at all, he certainly isn't worth our first round pick.
http://goldengatesports.com/2015/11/07/jared-goff-declare-nfl-draft/

Lynch, who has his stock rising right now, has serious questions about competition level of the defenses he has faced. Again, he is only a junior.

Cook????
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1868391/connor-cook

And you Madden geniuses want to spend our number one pick on these, at best, projects?
A lot of very good opinions here and a few not so good.

IMO, what Trent/Jed will do.

They'll let Gabby play out the season. Then, they'll offer him more $ but not elite $.

Unfortunately, they'll keep JT.

Trent knows he's under a microscope and has to produce some immediate results.

He'll pick up 1 quality proven FA for the OLine.

Then, he'll get a pass rusher.

Then, he'll get a QB either late in the 1st by trading up or in the 2nd.

Of course, I'd do it differently as most of you would, BUT that was the question posed some time ago.

Me - ADavis is a flake and won't be back as a Niner - either traded or he doesn't return.

So, I'd get 2 FA proven OLine guys.

I'd get Wilkerson as a FA for the D.

Then in the draft get the best Oline, Pass Rusher and QB available.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Gabbert is playing better under Tomsula with less talent around him than Kap played under Harbaugh last year.

How are you all surprised that our offense is ranked so low. Under our best years of Harbaugh, our offense was always near the bottom. Take away our 1st, 2nd, and 3rd running backs along with 2 offensive linemen. What do you expect? Harbaugh wouldn't have improved this offense. Gabbert Singlehandedly improved this offense.

Yes he is and good call!

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by BodhiPaddlesOut:
I'd take having a franchise QB over just about anything, especially losing. And even a franchise QB probably won't be able to save Tomsula.

This. Its a false proposition. I don't think even a top flight QB makes enough of a difference to give Tomsula a third year based off of what I've seen this season. Gabbert can be successful AND Tomsula can still be gone after next season.

Absolutely.

It isn't an "either-or" but other options are aplenty.
Unless Gabbert flat out sucks these next couple of games, there is no reason why not to bring him back and make him our starter next year. Even if we draft a QB, at least he can sit for a year or two behind Gabbert.
Gabbert comes back
Kaepernick comes back, we talk good about him, trade him.
We pick a QB in rounds 2-3. No way Baalke risks betting the farm on Goff, Lynch, or Cook with his #1 with so many obvious holes on the team.

We pick up a vet for insurance at QB.

The $60M cap money?/ only half of it gets spent in FA. The Yorks celebrate.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
None of it matter really until we get a better GM and a real coaching staff.
Poll is really bad IMO. It's like asking me which way would I rather see us succeed. This poll makes me feel like the op is trying to find strictly gabbert haters...

If gabbert succeeds obviously we don't start over with a new qb. If he fails then we obviously have to start over. I want a poll answer that says " I dgaf as long as we succeed" your poll seriously needs that because choosing between those 2 answers is just dumb IMO lol
Share 49ersWebzone