LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 297 users in the forums

Andrew Tiller Thread

Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
You can notice him by our play selection in the run game. He's stout, but his movement limitations make him liability in stretch runs, so we have to run a lot more man/gap/power. That results in us having to pull a guard in PA pass plays, in order to convincingly sell the run fake. That's actually what happened on Gabbert's big TD throw to Torrey Smith. Fortunately, on that play, the protection held up. Usually, pulling a guard ass part of your pass pro scheme results in unpredictable gaps that can be exploited by the defense's pass rush, particularly when they stunt and/or blitz.

It's clear that the Geep Foerster prefer to drive (get it?) down the field using a ZBS to attack aggressive defenses and protect more naturally on PA passes. If Tiller can't get to that outside shoulder on the reach block, we would either have to abandon the ZBS for a single guard or plan on Tiller not being a part of the offense in the future. I'd like to hope that he could drop a substantial amount of weight and increase his mobility.

Get him on the Alex Boone diet and have him drop down to about 315. Retain that power, but add some mobility.

Agreed. He seems to be pushing closer to 330 but for boys that big, losing 20-30 pounds isn't that difficult unless genetics says otherwise. But a drop in 20-30 pounds can be a big time athletic advantage esp. in a ZBS. He openly was asked what was the ingredient in improvement in his play (quicker feet) and he said it was losing weight. So, he knows.
[ Edited by NCommand on Dec 11, 2015 at 7:13 AM ]
Originally posted by tohara3:
Originally posted by pdizo916:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Get Kilgore and Brown next to him, Boom !

Tomsula is too stupid to see the logic behind this

Agree. WTF the coaching staff is thinking & seeing in the field & on film to not make these changes sooner is ridiculous. Get Brown on the field next to this guy to see what we have!

Yes. one of the reasons I have very little faith in JT and unfortunately we're stuck w/him for another season.

Also agree on Trent Brown - let the big man play and get that valuable experience necessary to take the next step.
How bout some of those old wham plays we used to run.
Tiller has been such a surprise this year.

I thank God he's playing alot more now and we barely are seeing Devey
If Tiller keeps improving through the final few games do you feel comfortable going into next year with him as the starter at RG?
[ Edited by Niners418 on Dec 12, 2015 at 3:06 PM ]
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Niners418:
If Tiller keeps improving through the final few games do you feel comfortable going into next year with him as the starter at RG?

I don't expect Boone to be back, so I'd love to see a Tiller-Thomas competition.
Originally posted by Niners418:
why wouldn't you ?
Tiller is a keeper. If there is anything positive from this season, it's that a few guys are getting their 1st real opportunity and proving they can play. Tiller is one of them. Just has to continue to drop weight and improve mobility for the zone stuff we want to run.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Dec 12, 2015 at 6:14 PM ]
  • Goatie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TheXFactor:
Tiller has been such a surprise this year.

I thank God he's playing alot more now and we barely are seeing Devey

Why is Devey even still on the roster?
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Tiller is a keeper. If there is anything positive from this season, it's that a few guys are getting their 1st real opportunity and proving they can play. Tiller is one of them. Just has to continue to drop weight and improve mobility for the zone stuff we want to run.

I'm hoping this, off season they do a lot of cardio, technique and agility drills with him. Quick feet are hard to teach but it helps if you can see them.

Originally posted by NCommand:
I'm hoping this, off season they do a lot of cardio, technique and agility drills with him. Quick feet are hard to teach but it helps if you can see them.

Yup. Tiller has said in interviews he's dropped some weight and will continue to do so. He's been very effective at his current weight, will be even better in our scheme as he gets leaner.
If only tiller had played with kap, then kap would be the top rated qb right now
Originally posted by NCommand:
Agreed. He seems to be pushing closer to 330 but for boys that big, losing 20-30 pounds isn't that difficult unless genetics says otherwise. But a drop in 20-30 pounds can be a big time athletic advantage esp. in a ZBS. He openly was asked what was the ingredient in improvement in his play (quicker feet) and he said it was losing weight. So, he knows.

get his fat arse more mobile.This guy wants a career but can'y loose less that 10% of his superflous fluids and lipids.
I pray to the Lord above we bring Boone back next year.
He got a +2.2 grade against the Browns according to PFF.
Share 49ersWebzone