LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 141 users in the forums

week 13 Chicago Bears coaches film analysis

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Niners816:
I remember when another labeled first round bust QB trying to resurrect his career had a nice run against an NFC central team:

Precursor? Who the hell knows, but there's never a bad time to see Steve's iconic run

Anybody notice jerry creaming 54 at the tail end of the run? sweet. dude was not soft. people get the wrong impression on account of he played until methuselahs retirement age.
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
I remember when another labeled first round bust QB trying to resurrect his career had a nice run against an NFC central team:

Precursor? Who the hell knows, but there's never a bad time to see Steve's iconic run

Anybody notice jerry creaming 54 at the tail end of the run? sweet. dude was not soft. people get the wrong impression on account of he played until methuselahs retirement age.
thats a 15 yards penalty now
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:

thats a 15 yards penalty now

Naw. Clean block.
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by Joecool:
I'm still waiting for us to go with that split back look. Why don't teams do that anymore? Think it would work great vs umbrella defense teams.

The split backs look was mainly to get the RBs closer to the edge of the formation for passing plays - it gave them a head start in getting to the flats. This was in the 80s/early90s. Now that LBs are as fast, or faster than RBs, this is no longer a good way to get RBs into the flat. Plus it dictates your running strength - HBs aren't going to lead block for the FB. Nowadays, if an offense wants to have passing strength, just put in a slot WR, don't bother messing around with split backs.

I kinda wanted to visit this topic again. Basically by the time Holmgren took as OC this kinda became what our split backs would look like when we wanted to pass:

Basically we wanted to present a 3 wide singleback look, but wanted to keep 21 personnel because it was the strength of our roster. The speed of the game helped slow down the running game out of the split back. When mooch took over, the IFormation and its variants(strong & weak) became our primary run formation with 21 personnel. The split really wasn't need much after that. Now personally I love the horizontal stacked forms, but I think a lot of that is more for nostalgia and less to do with function.
[ Edited by Niners816 on Dec 11, 2015 at 5:03 PM ]
If you guys get a chance, show the gif of that short reception of Bell's catch over the middle. While a short gain, it really highlights his athleticism, catching radius, hand-eye coordation, hands, etc.
I'm going to back up a bit to the 49ers' first drive to see why it looked so bad on that 3 & out.

Here's the 1st down play

Split zone. The nose tackle and the RDE is shifted to the OL's right. The RDE, on Boone's outside shoulder, is playing a 3tech.

This is an inside zone blocking concept. Both Boone and Staley double team block the 3tech. As the double team block is happening, it is up to both of them to feel who has more control of the block. Whichever OLman has more control of that 3tech will sustain the block while the other moves to the second level.

Both Boone and Staley move to the second level.

The 3 tech suddenly has no one blocking him. No gain.

Is this seriously a common concept? How does one lineman assume the other will stay? for example, I've only seen assignments where whoever has inside leverage stays, the other doubles and releases or outside leverage or whatever. Point being somebody is assigned to stay while the other has an option to stay or go. It seems not having a black and white assignment is asking for trouble.
  • thl408
Originally posted by fister30:
Is this seriously a common concept? How does one lineman assume the other will stay? for example, I've only seen assignments where whoever has inside leverage stays, the other doubles and releases or outside leverage or whatever. Point being somebody is assigned to stay while the other has an option to stay or go. It seems not having a black and white assignment is asking for trouble.

On inside zone plays, it is a common blocking concept. This is why it takes a lot of chemistry to properly execute a zone blocking scheme. An OLman has to have a good feel for what his adjacent OLmen do. They are constantly making post snap decisions as to who stays engaged and who moves on to the second level. On this play, obviously there was miscommunication between Boone and Staley.
  • Goatie
  • Veteran
On inside zone plays, it is a common blocking concept. This is why it takes a lot of chemistry to properly execute a zone blocking scheme. An OLman has to have a good feel for what his adjacent OLmen do. They are constantly making post snap decisions as to who stays engaged and who moves on to the second level. On this play, obviously there was miscommunication between Boone and Staley.

Doesn't this become a problem when one of them is injured in a game and a replacement comes on? In the sense that the "chemistry" is not established in the same way as with the regular 2 OL men?

What contingency occurs in that situation?
  • thl408
Originally posted by Goatie:

Doesn't this become a problem when one of them is injured in a game and a replacement comes on? In the sense that the "chemistry" is not established in the same way as with the regular 2 OL men?

What contingency occurs in that situation?
It can definitely be a problem when a backup OL comes in when running a zone blocking scheme. In a man/gap blocking scheme, assignments are more clearly spelled out compared to zone blocking. More post snap decisions in zone blocking. Both linemen should know what to do and I'm sure when they review the film, they'll know what should have been done. But these decisions are thought about, and decided on, in a couple tenths of a second so mistakes are going to happen on some plays. Boone and Staley have been next to each other all season.
Share 49ersWebzone