LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 314 users in the forums

Week 13 2015: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
1) Gabbert: Starting to think that all those people who laughed at the 49ers for trading a 6 to Jacksonville for Gabbert aren't laughing anymore. I mean seriously...just wondering...if the 49ers put him on the block right now (assuming the trade window was still open), what could they expect to get in return?

Another solid but unspectacular game...and to be honest that's just fine. I'm not looking for Gabbert to be great. I'm looking for him to be a serviceable backup in the future. Is he Steve Deberg? A placeholder before the new guy? Is he Jim Plunkett? The bust who reclaims his career and goes on to be a Super Bowl Champion? Is he neither? Right now...I have no clue. I won't pretend otherwise. I keep thinking THIS is the week he reverts back to form...but then it doesn't happen.

In the meantime, it's interesting enough to keep an eye on and make the final four games of the season easier to watch.

2) Torrey: This isn't so much of a criticism as an observation. Torrey does the job he was signed to do and he does it well (stretch the field), but that's really all he does. LOL. It's kinda painful to watch him take a short pass and try to do something with it. As I said tho...that's OK. He isn't there to take short passes the distance. He's there to stretch the field, create space for other players, and occasionally make teams pay for not respecting his deep speed. He's currently averaging 23 yards per reception. I'll take that...but MAN he really has no RAC game.

3) Droughn: Call him the Gabbert of the RB position. Another game, another solid but unspectacular performance which is just fine because I'm looking at him as a backup long term anyway. Runs hard, catches the ball...He'll have a shot at the 53 next year.

4) Ward/Bowman: That was awesome. Both Bowmans callout of the screen before it happened and the blitz that forced the audible, AND the way Ward hardly even backpedalled before jumping that route. You almost never see a screen like that picked off. Great play by both players.

5) Armstead: Didn't have a perfect game, but MAN that guy has some power. I saw a couple occasions where he just blew up the guy in front of him and while he didn't get the tackle, he was a big part of why the play was stopped. There are some times when he got pushed past the play but its hard to say anything when there were also a number of times that the Bears ran the ball against TWO down linemen. Armstead isn't perfect, but he's in the trenches learning on the fly and he's playing well. I think we'll see him next year and be happy he got this playing time.

6) McDonald: Sigh. I'm starting to like what I see from him...but dude...Can you please just stay healthy? Guy just can't stay on the field. Celek is the same way. I like a possible future of Celek and McDonald, but that'll never happen if they are constantly injured. How many years are we going to have to go with a depleted TE group late in the season?

7) Hodges: Not bad. Not bad at all. He ain't Pat, but he might be a better option than Wilhoite. Seems quicker and I know he's better in coverage.

8) Tartt: I don't care what people tell me (and many have said I'm off base), but that was NOT an illegal tackle...or at least it shouldn't be. Cutler was still on his feet. He didn't hit him in the head. He didn't hit him with his helmet. He wrapped him up and took him to the ground. Are we really at the point that bringing a guy down hard is a penalty? Refs didn't call it and IMO shouldn't have.

What...is he supposed to gently place him on pillows?

9) Kap: So I see just before the game that Kap has met with management and that they are both open to a return next year. Yeah. Right. I'm sorry...I don't buy it. To me, it's one of three things. It could be that they are simply trying to create the illusion that they have no intent to release him to prevent teams form simply waiting till he's a free agent to make a play. It could be that they realize it's possible he won't pass his physical before April 1st and if they'll have to pay him anyway next year they might as well give him a shot to get his job back. Finally, it could be that they are interested in bringing him back, but not at the number he's scheduled to make and if that number goes down it might also make him easier to trade...although I don't know why he'd do that when he could just leave the contract as is and control where he goes.

Maybe they don't know if they can get another guy in the draft and are hedging their bets.

Who knows, but my guess is that Kap has played his final down and all we are hearing now is damage control in one form or another.

10) Draft position: One of the worst feelings while watching your favorite team play a game. Teams makes a great play at the end and you want to be happy but simultaneously realize that one play could cost you a QB to take you into the next decade. With that win and Cleveland next on the schedule, the 49ers may have just lost any chance at Lynch or Goff. Maybe it all works out in the end. Maybe they don't need one of those guys. Maybe those guys end up sucking anyway. Maybe they fall to the Niners anyway. Who knows what's gonna happen...

...but I HATE that feeling of wanting to be happy with the result but understanding what it might mean in the grand scheme.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Dec 7, 2015 at 10:48 AM ]
Originally posted by Marvin49:
1) Gabbert: Starting to think that all those people who laughed at the 49ers for trading a 6 to Jacksonville for Gabbert aren't laughing anymore. I mean seriously...just wondering...if the 49ers put him on the block right now (assuming the trade window was still open), what could they expect to get in return?

Another solid but unspectacular game...and to be honest that's just fine. I'm not looking for Gabbert to be great. I'm looking for him to be a serviceable backup in the future. Is he Steve Deberg? A placeholder before the new guy? Is he Jim Plunkett? The bust who reclaims his career and goes on to be a Super Bowl Champion? Is he neither? Right now...I have no clue. I won't pretend otherwise. I keep thinking THIS is the week he reverts back to form...but then it doesn't happen.

Steve Young
Agree with all except Kap. Think by watching Gabbert, Kap is seeing how to play QB in our offense. Seriously, we should invest in developing him properly. I do think he was taken advantage of and neglected by our previous coaches.
Originally posted by znk916:

Steve Young

?

I meant Steve DeBerg.

Steve had a rough time in Tampa, but he was NEVER as reviled as Gabbert.

The Steve DeBerg comparison is about being the 49ers QB before Montana and the Broncos QB before Elway. He was always the guy before THE guy.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Agree with all except Kap. Think by watching Gabbert, Kap is seeing how to play QB in our offense. Seriously, we should invest in developing him properly. I do think he was taken advantage of and neglected by our previous coaches.

I'm not making a judgment of Kap one way or the other on that post...only the rumors that he met with management and what those rumors mean.
Tell me, who is better plays by Tartt or Reid? My answer is Tartt because he is better than Reid. What about you?
Originally posted by BuZzB05:
Tell me, who is better plays by Tartt or Reid? My answer is Tartt because he is better than Reid. What about you?

Different Players. I like both.

One thing they have in common tho is that they miss more tackles than I'd like. Both are big and can hit (Tartt in particular), but Reid seems to take poor angles at times and Tartt seems to get there and not secure the tackle. He's young yet though...hopefully he improves.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Dec 7, 2015 at 10:56 AM ]
i'm sorry but the what i saw from gabbert yesterday was horrendous until the last run he had and that pass to torrey..........

now if he shows marked improvement the next 4 games maybe he is a place holder at qb
Originally posted by iLL49er:
i'm sorry but the what i saw from gabbert yesterday was horrendous until the last run he had and that pass to torrey..........

now if he shows marked improvement the next 4 games maybe he is a place holder at qb

I think Horrendous is a bit harsh. I didn't say he played great. I said he was unspectacular.

You can say it was rough before the run and the pass to Torrey...but why do that? He made that run and he threw that pass to Torrey. Judge the entire performance, not just the plays that fit your argument.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Dec 7, 2015 at 10:59 AM ]
Gabbert keeps playing and doesnt crap the bed, he should at least come into training camp as the guy to beat. No way the job gets given to Kaepernick even if we keep him, which is a horrible ides, imho. Last preseason Kaep looked bad, and Gabbert looked good. In real games this yera Kaep looked bad and Gabbert looks better. Even if we drafted Goff, he wouldn't be a starter in this league, first he isn't that good, and second starting rookie QB's is generally a horrible idea and a good way to ruin their careers.

Originally posted by BuZzB05:

Different Players. I like both.

One thing they have in common tho is that they miss more tackles than I'd like. Both are big and can hit (Tartt in particular), but Reid seems to take poor angles at times and Tartt seems to get there and not secure the tackle. He's young yet though...hopefully he improves.

Hope Tartt will be improves his work out next summer and hope his development the tackles. Hope he will became beasts tackle for process time in next year.

Reid is aweful to reach too slow and missed tackle on Rodgers when he got td (packers). .. Reid alway had concerned with concussion cuz he cared himself.
Originally posted by mojave45:
Gabbert keeps playing and doesnt crap the bed, he should at least come into training camp as the guy to beat. No way the job gets given to Kaepernick even if we keep him, which is a horrible ides, imho. Last preseason Kaep looked bad, and Gabbert looked good. In real games this yera Kaep looked bad and Gabbert looks better. Even if we drafted Goff, he wouldn't be a starter in this league, first he isn't that good, and second starting rookie QB's is generally a horrible idea and a good way to ruin their careers.

In regards to Goff, I'm curious why you think he wouldn't be a starter unless you only mean in year 1.

As for early on...I could see Gabbert getting the nod until he was ready...but that of course likely won't happen now because I have a feeling they'll be dropping out of the top 10 after they beat Cleveland.

I think Horrendous is a bit harsh. I didn't say he played great. I said he was unspectacular.

You can say it was rough before the run and the pass to Torrey...but why do that? He made that run and he threw that pass to Torrey. Judge the entire performance, not just the plays that fit your argument.

i am judging the whole performance..it was bad....the offense was so painful to watch for 3.8qtrs of football

i see a lot of positives from the defense and gabby can thank them for keeping him in games because the guy checks down faster than alex smith ever did

i'm open to him being a placeholder i guess but i'd like to draft a qb to groom
Originally posted by Joecool:

Watching Blaine play in the offense doesn't make Kap more accurate, or make him a better decision maker, or allow him to see the field better. I get where you're coming from, but I'm curious, what do you think the previous coaching staff was doing to Kap to hold him back? Also, this coaching staff had much less success with him.
[ Edited by Boagrius49 on Dec 7, 2015 at 11:10 AM ]

i am judging the whole performance..it was bad....the offense was so painful to watch for 3.8qtrs of football

i see a lot of positives from the defense and gabby can thank them for keeping him in games because the guy checks down faster than alex smith ever did

i'm open to him being a placeholder i guess but i'd like to draft a qb to groom

I want a QB in the draft as well...just don't want them to reach for one if they fall out of the top 10. That's how guys like Jake Locker and Christian Ponder get drafted in the top of the 1st round.
Share 49ersWebzone