LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 280 users in the forums

Alex Boone Sounding Off

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SofaKing:
My hope is in the off-season the competition committee comes to together and does something about the broken rules system:

1. If you're in doubt, DO NOT throw the flag. Right now it's the opposite, they throw flags when they're not sure, and that's wrong.
2. If it doesn't effect the outcome of the play, DO NOT throw the flag.
3. Allow ANY play to be challengeable.

I wholeheartedly agree with all of this....especially with #3. A ref rules the guy with the ball steps out of bounds because that's what he sees. You can challenge that and show the ref saw incorrectly. Well a ref rules a 15 yard penalty for helmet to helmet, because that's what he sees. Why should a team not be able to say "hey wait a minute there was no helmet to helmet contact....please take a look"?? What is really the difference?

The game moves very fast. Sometimes refs (or fans for that matter), think they see one thing live, but it looks totally different with slow motion replay. Like last nights "facemask" that kept the game going. Those types of blink of the eye type moments should be able to be reviewed.
I commend him for speaking his mind. No player or coach can say anything about the Refs or people in the League offices with out backlash and fines. They should be able to speakttgg what's on the mind with out fines.
I sent this to a bunch of friends who have 0 love for the 9ers... they now love boone because the nfl is destroying itself, from big hits to "mean words" being flagged, it's becoming nothing more than fantasy football to people, why root for the team you love when the refs decide games?
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Originally posted by GrumpyDad:
remember, its an entertainment product, not a sport.

yup. people take sports too seriously. its just entertainment. nothing more nothing less.

This
Biblical truth. . . . . .
Originally posted by lamontb:
they'll will never happen b/c it's gonna make the game too dam long. Games start going 4 hours long and ppl gonna start checking out.

Not if they limit teams challenges to 2 or 3 a game, same as it is now. The game won't be slowed down.
This. But I wonder if any ref would actually overturn one of those so called "judgement plays" like the one against Dial.
Originally posted by 49erfaninPA:
they'll will never happen b/c it's gonna make the game too dam long. Games start going 4 hours long and ppl gonna start checking out.

Not if they limit teams challenges to 2 or 3 a game, same as it is now. The game won't be slowed down.
This. But I wonder if any ref would actually overturn one of those so called "judgement plays" like the one against Dial.

Last 2 minutes of the game we would still have automatic reviews, but for stuff that's not reviewable, like penalties, the coaches should be allowed to challenge IF they have challenges available to them.
Originally posted by SFTifoso:
Originally posted by 49erfaninPA:

Last 2 minutes of the game we would still have automatic reviews, but for stuff that's not reviewable, like penalties, the coaches should be allowed to challenge IF they have challenges available to them.

But without a clarification of the rule making such contact not a penalty on the tackling player challenging would be pointless. You need to make a tackled player ducking for impact and lowering his helmet into the strike zone not a penalty for a review to overturn those plays.
Refs have been f**king up in every sport for a long time. And the 49ers have been robbed of more than a couple games by ridiculous personal foul calls. I mean, that rule is needed, (just look at what happened to Joe Montana and Steve Young). But it should be reviewable.

a 15 yard penalty in this game can easily swing the outcome of a game.
But I am surprised that he wasn't fined. Queintin Dial was fined for the hit....which means the NFL must have thought it was a good call.

Originally posted by GrumpyDad:
remember, its an entertainment product, not a sport.

For me, its not entertaining to have a referee change the outcome of a game, it makes the whole game stupid. Part of the "entertainment" value is seeing the legit competition between athletes.
Share 49ersWebzone