LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 368 users in the forums

2016 Needs?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Homer
  • Veteran
Originally posted by okdkid:
Originally posted by Homer:
Kind of silly, but do we still have a team clown? I just started following Anthony Adams on Twitter, I forgot how funny he is. Boobie Dixon was cut from the same cloth. I miss those guys.

When we were equally as s**tty. Ah, yes, I remember those days with great reverence.

We won playoff games with Boobie Dixon on the roster, but I feel you. Maybe a Brian Jennings or Anthony Adams would cheer a brother up this season.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:

One thing is for sure, we cannot draft to not draft a bust. To me, that's the equivalent to playing no to get hurt. We can't pass up on talent and needs of the team because we're afraid we won't hit on him. If that's the case why don't we just trade away our 1st - 3rd round picks. Hell, an argument can be made that our roster is already packed with mid to late round guys. In any event, please understand that, with all the armies of scouts and endless hours of film study and experts, the draft is still an inexact science. It will always remain so. I definitely think we should draft a QB with our first pick, but we should sit him for a season behind Gabbert.

Agree and this is why I want them to try to trade up for higher picks. It's a risk but they need to try and add to their impact players, particularlly OL who can start right away and pass rushers. Missing Aldon Smith the past two years has been painful!

I like Lynch and Harold but I don't see them having the impact AS had. Neither is as violent a player, putting fear into the hearts of QBs.
Now that sounds like a plan. But I still want us to get a QB in the first. (And I been telling people about Conner Cook. We gotta get him in a 49ers uniform.) We definiately need to be aggressive, package picks for better talent. Our roster is full enough of "potential", "value" guys who don't impact the game.
The more I look at it the more I think a top-flight (or big potential) CB is our #1 need.

Our CB core appears to be filled with a bunch of #2's and 3's. I can't say there is a real #1 guy in there. Using the term "shut down corner" is overused, since there are maybe 3 in the entire league. I don't think we'll find that kind of guy. But we need help.

We don't have a CB that is even a top 20 guy. I agree we have a lot of youth and perhaps two of those guys will develop further. But I don't think, even with development, any of these guys are #1 caliber.

At this point we know what Brock is: He's alright, injury prone and drops INTs. But he's alright.

The Acker/Reaser/Ward/Johnson group is very young. And I'm sure each will continue to develop. But I don't see anybody becoming a true #1 CB.

There are a couple top 10 CBs coming out this year that can help on day 1.

The problem is that the Niners front seven does not consistent pressure the QB. I'm not saying that the secondary does need an uograde, but it's tough to cover for 4-6 seconds+ on a regular basis.

The Niners secondary is one group that will have continuity. Of like to see what they look like with an upgraded pass rush on front of them.
For me, this team is way more difficult to answer this question than in previous years. I'm the past, there were a lot of All Pros, then a group of solid contributors, then the guys who needed to be upgraded.

This year, there are a few building block players, several with potential to be good, and then a long list that need to be upgraded (Pears). The problem is that the difference between tier 1, 2 and three is much more blurry for me this year.

I think the obvious needs are Oline (but what if AD) comes back, pass rush, and ILB.

Personnaly, I like the idea of drafting an OT 1st, and if AD can't beat out the blue chip rookie, move him to OG like they did with Boone.
Originally posted by Butter:
The more I look at it the more I think a top-flight (or big potential) CB is our #1 need.

Our CB core appears to be filled with a bunch of #2's and 3's. I can't say there is a real #1 guy in there. Using the term "shut down corner" is overused, since there are maybe 3 in the entire league. I don't think we'll find that kind of guy. But we need help.

We don't have a CB that is even a top 20 guy. I agree we have a lot of youth and perhaps two of those guys will develop further. But I don't think, even with development, any of these guys are #1 caliber.

At this point we know what Brock is: He's alright, injury prone and drops INTs. But he's alright.

The Acker/Reaser/Ward/Johnson group is very young. And I'm sure each will continue to develop. But I don't see anybody becoming a true #1 CB.

There are a couple top 10 CBs coming out this year that can help on day 1.

The problem is that the Niners front seven does not consistent pressure the QB. I'm not saying that the secondary does need an uograde, but it's tough to cover for 4-6 seconds+ on a regular basis.

The Niners secondary is one group that will have continuity. Of like to see what they look like with an upgraded pass rush on front of them.

Please no CB in the first over a pass rusher/Dline. What we have already at CB will look exponentially better with a front 7 that's anywhere close to 2011-14. You already see guys like Ward, Tartt and Acker showing improvement while having a bottom of the pack front 7.
For Patrick Willis to un-retire
Share 49ersWebzone