LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 220 users in the forums

2016 Needs?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by okdkid:
The more I look at it the more I think a top-flight (or big potential) CB is our #1 need.

Our CB core appears to be filled with a bunch of #2's and 3's. I can't say there is a real #1 guy in there. Using the term "shut down corner" is overused, since there are maybe 3 in the entire league. I don't think we'll find that kind of guy. But we need help.

We don't have a CB that is even a top 20 guy. I agree we have a lot of youth and perhaps two of those guys will develop further. But I don't think, even with development, any of these guys are #1 caliber.

At this point we know what Brock is: He's alright, injury prone and drops INTs. But he's alright.

The Acker/Reaser/Ward/Johnson group is very young. And I'm sure each will continue to develop. But I don't see anybody becoming a true #1 CB.

There are a couple top 10 CBs coming out this year that can help on day 1.

Given salary cap restrictions, most teams need to choose between having elite pass rushers OR elite DBs. You can't generally afford to have both. Baalke traditionally has leaned more towards pass rushers.

Unfortunately our elite pass rusher turned out to be a big drunk who couldn't keep out of trouble.

I generally agree with the philosophy of building defenses around pass rushers, who are far more disruptive.

I'd like to see us use our top pick on an elite pass rusher.... either from the DE or the OLB position.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by blm7754:
Given salary cap restrictions, most teams need to choose between having elite pass rushers OR elite DBs. You can't generally afford to have both. Baalke traditionally has leaned more towards pass rushers.

Unfortunately our elite pass rusher turned out to be a big drunk who couldn't keep out of trouble.

I generally agree with the philosophy of building defenses around pass rushers, who are far more disruptive.

I'd like to see us use our top pick on an elite pass rusher.... either from the DE or the OLB position.

Can't imagine he would be available -- but would love to have Bosa over anybody else, including the QB prospects.

Regardless, salary cap restrictions won't be an issue for us for some time.
A miracle?
Originally posted by frozen49er:
Regarding Kilgore/Mack, that was just the OL name that came to mind first, could have been any lineman, talent is talent even if you need to move guys around. Point being any high level DL and OL in FA would excite the hell out of me.

Boldin is great short term, and I cant see us picking a WR in the 1st round with so many other holes. Maybe with a real line our wideouts will get more chances next year and we can see what we have in the young guys. I loved the T. Smith signing last year, thought he and Boldin would be a fantastic duo with the other guys developing into their roles, just hasnt worked out that way. What a line can do. Wont get into qbs or coaches here, plently of threads for that.

I agree, a young qb to sit is a great idea. I just think we have too many other areas to address in the 1st round than to pick a guy to sit. We need impact and talent everywhere, a qb in rounds 2 or 3, fine. But I cant see taking Goff to ride the pine if Bosa, Tunsil, Stanley, Ndemche (i cant spell, sue me lol) are sitting in the green room.

Understood! I have seen a number of FA centers floated and Mack is the most obvious. Wisniewski and Wendell are young, while Ramirez and Sendlein could be short term help. I'm set on a center because of the importance in line calling and the questions regarding Kilgore and Martin. It would also allow Kilgore and/or Martin to slide out to OG.

Many seem to want a WR but this is the first year I'm fairly happy with the group we have. There are three rookies and two other young guys, as well as T Smith and Boldin if resigned. Of course you take BPA if a great WR prospect falls just right, but that's true of almost every position.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
A miracle?

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Sorry Goff, Cook and Lynch fans. None of those guys are likely to crack the top 10 BPA.

I think that both Lynch and Goff are already in the top 10. I think that one of them is very likely to be the #1 pick in the draft while the other will be gone by the 8th pick. Matt Miller has Goff as his #1 draft prospect. ESPN has Lynch as the #2 draft prospect.

To each their own. QB's always go higher than they should. I just dont see any of these three as a franchise qb. I may be wrong, I dont watch a ton of college ball like you do, I'm not a draft expert (likely why Im not employed in the NFL lol) If Im wrong and Goff turns out to be the next Montana or Brady, Ill eat my words, I just think this team has too many holes on both sides to shoot at a qb that is going to sit with so much other talent on the lines that will be available when we pick. Just my observation, you know a hell of a lot more about scouting and drafting than I do, Ill give you that, but a qb in round one, in the top 5 just doesnt make sense to me with this draft class.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Understood! I have seen a number of FA centers floated and Mack is the most obvious. Wisniewski and Wendell are young, while Ramirez and Sendlein could be short term help. I'm set on a center because of the importance in line calling and the questions regarding Kilgore and Martin. It would also allow Kilgore and/or Martin to slide out to OG.

Many seem to want a WR but this is the first year I'm fairly happy with the group we have. There are three rookies and two other young guys, as well as T Smith and Boldin if resigned. Of course you take BPA if a great WR prospect falls just right, but that's true of almost every position.

No Amari Coopers this year. Damn I wanted that guy.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Sorry Goff, Cook and Lynch fans. None of those guys are likely to crack the top 10 BPA.

I think that both Lynch and Goff are already in the top 10. I think that one of them is very likely to be the #1 pick in the draft while the other will be gone by the 8th pick. Matt Miller has Goff as his #1 draft prospect. ESPN has Lynch as the #2 draft prospect.

To each their own. QB's always go higher than they should. I just dont see any of these three as a franchise qb. I may be wrong, I dont watch a ton of college ball like you do, I'm not a draft expert (likely why Im not employed in the NFL lol) If Im wrong and Goff turns out to be the next Montana or Brady, Ill eat my words, I just think this team has too many holes on both sides to shoot at a qb that is going to sit with so much other talent on the lines that will be available when we pick. Just my observation, you know a hell of a lot more about scouting and drafting than I do, Ill give you that, but a qb in round one, in the top 5 just doesnt make sense to me with this draft class.

I'm not wild about taking a QB in the first round this year but you never know about these guys! Rodgers slipped to the end of the first round and turned out to be far superior to the others. One reason might be that he sat on the bench while he learned to play the position at NFL level!
I'm not wild about taking a QB in the first round this year but you never know about these guys! Rodgers slipped to the end of the first round and turned out to be far superior to the others. One reason might be that he sat on the bench while he learned to play the position at NFL level!

Completely agree.

I think he would have failed miserably if he played behind the crap line Alex did.

IMO, any QB would have failed.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:

Completely agree.

I think he would have failed miserably if he played behind the crap line Alex did.

IMO, any QB would have failed.

One thing is for sure, we cannot draft to not draft a bust. To me, that's the equivalent to playing no to get hurt. We can't pass up on talent and needs of the team because we're afraid we won't hit on him. If that's the case why don't we just trade away our 1st - 3rd round picks. Hell, an argument can be made that our roster is already packed with mid to late round guys. In any event, please understand that, with all the armies of scouts and endless hours of film study and experts, the draft is still an inexact science. It will always remain so. I definitely think we should draft a QB with our first pick, but we should sit him for a season behind Gabbert.

Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:

One thing is for sure, we cannot draft to not draft a bust. To me, that's the equivalent to playing no to get hurt. We can't pass up on talent and needs of the team because we're afraid we won't hit on him. If that's the case why don't we just trade away our 1st - 3rd round picks. Hell, an argument can be made that our roster is already packed with mid to late round guys. In any event, please understand that, with all the armies of scouts and endless hours of film study and experts, the draft is still an inexact science. It will always remain so. I definitely think we should draft a QB with our first pick, but we should sit him for a season behind Gabbert.

Agree and this is why I want them to try to trade up for higher picks. It's a risk but they need to try and add to their impact players, particularlly OL who can start right away and pass rushers. Missing Aldon Smith the past two years has been painful!

I like Lynch and Harold but I don't see them having the impact AS had. Neither is as violent a player, putting fear into the hearts of QBs.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Dec 5, 2015 at 12:23 PM ]
  • Homer
  • Veteran
Kind of silly, but do we still have a team clown? I just started following Anthony Adams on Twitter, I forgot how funny he is. Boobie Dixon was cut from the same cloth. I miss those guys.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Homer:
Kind of silly, but do we still have a team clown? I just started following Anthony Adams on Twitter, I forgot how funny he is. Boobie Dixon was cut from the same cloth. I miss those guys.

When we were equally as s**tty. Ah, yes, I remember those days with great reverence.
Originally posted by LaMattsBlue:
A new owner

Maybe he can do us a favor and sell to Lacob and company!

Just give it back to uncle Eddie
No Amari Coopers this year. Damn I wanted that guy.

I liked Cooper as a college player, but really had no idea he'd be able to play so well in the NFL!

Originally posted by Niners816:
Just give it back to uncle Eddie

OK...that sounds wonderful at this point!
Share 49ersWebzone