There are 169 users in the forums

Which players would you like to see get more playing time?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by NCommand:
He's actually been a really good slot CB for us but the issue is the scheme/technique. Often times, against really really quick/fast WR's such as Brown/Lockett/Cobb (in the slot against him), Mangini is asking him to be right up at the line of scrimmage (even when they are playing off a bit for more room to maneuver). If he misses his jam at the LOS, he's screwed even though he's typically right there when the ball comes down.

Mangini has yet to figure this out.

If we're playing bigger, slower WR's in the slot, this is not an issue at all. It's just in these cases that Mangini puts him at an immediate disadvantage.

But his real skill set is not underneath coverage (running with his back to the QB) but rather, FS or playing off the LOS where he can see the QB and WR and everything is in front of him. He's a playmaker in these sets.

Agreed on all of this...I like him better as a FS I think he might have to add a couple Lbs, thoughts of reaser at slot?

Unlike a lot of people in here I like Reid but you think trading him and moving Ward to FS makes sense?

I like Reid too but he's either confused by the schemes or just playing half-assed right now. He's had a couple really nice plays as of late but for the year, he seems to either not be in position to help or is late in coverage and we all know his issues with tackling. You can see the night and day difference with Tartt and his ability to fly to the ball carrier, make plays on the ball and not hesitate at all. That is Ward as a FS. I think next year, Ward should be given the right to challenge Reid straight up and yes, I think with Reaser's quickness and electric speed (including recovery speed), he may end up being a much better slot fit for what Mangini wants to do.
  1. Harold
  2. Armstead
  3. Brown
  4. Reaser
  5. White
Originally posted by NinerDreamer11:
Originally posted by joaosoarrs99:
Trent Brown, Eli Harold, Gerald Hodges, Dontae Johnson and Jimmie Ward as a safety.

Agreed, but with addition of Purcell, and Cromartie at CB.

This is what really makes bad seasons worse. I hate when coaches ride out bad players during s**tty seasons. I hate coaches who play favorites but it happens in every sport and on every team. Guys like Pears and Devey are still in there and for what? Guys like Trent Brown, Thomas, Tiller should have been in way earlier in the year. Why is Hodges not starting over Wilhoite who has had enough years to show what he has. He's too slow for the nfl. Great story coming out of washburn but he is nothing more than an aging backup and if he couldnt keep up at 26 he cant keep up at 29. I am an Acker fan but it was clear early on he wasnt ready for the big show. Why was Johnson put at the bottom of the depth chart despite playing really well last year? Let's keep the guys playing well in limited time on the bench but make sure everyone struggling gets most of the time and continues to do so. So many coaches in the nfl are horrible but stick around due to name or just because there isn't any better. Good coaches can make the changes and see someone is on the downward spiral and should be replaced.. the bad ones dont make the switch until its clear the other players, fans, media, and the woman watching on the couch who hasnt watched a game in her life.

Armstead is another good call I see above. Also, I'd like to see Ward at FS instead of CB. Wonder if we should be playing Reid at SS instead of Tartt and Tartt as like a 3rd down LB/CB/S type player. Reid is a fa I believe after 2016 and we should see if he has a future at SS or if we should move on with Ward. Maybe we just need to get mangini away from our organization and he will go back to being a lot better. Every spot that guy touches goes to s**t. O, TE's, D
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Dec 2, 2015 at 6:51 PM ]
  • Andra
  • Veteran
Deandre Smelter, put him in get him some reps and lets see what we got
  • MFWIC
  • Veteran
Ellington to WR

Hayne at PR/KR and back up RB behind Drone
Hodges, Ellington (at WR), and Hayne.
A lot of good names listed already and I trust this coaching staff more than the last one to actually get them on the field. This is assuming the same situation of being out of contention. I felt like last year when our fate had been decided we still didn't see players get on the field. Even though it was a gut punch, the SD game was the exception to this where we finally got to see those players get significant action. As a result, that game was a lot of fun from a fan standpoint.
my top 5:

Carradine at OLB
Trent Brown at RT
Gerald Hodges
Bruce Ellington
Blake Bell
Johnson
Cromarie
Carradine
Purcell
Hodges or Skov
Trent Brown
Brandon Thomas
[ Edited by SofaKing on Dec 3, 2015 at 4:38 PM ]
  • MFWIC
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Johnson
Cromarie
Carradine
Purcell
Hodges or Skov
Trent Brown
Brandon Thomas

I am surprised you have not added Hayne to your list, why is that?

Originally posted by Gore_21:
This is what really makes bad seasons worse. I hate when coaches ride out bad players during s**tty seasons. I hate coaches who play favorites but it happens in every sport and on every team. Guys like Pears and Devey are still in there and for what? Guys like Trent Brown, Thomas, Tiller should have been in way earlier in the year. Why is Hodges not starting over Wilhoite who has had enough years to show what he has. He's too slow for the nfl. Great story coming out of washburn but he is nothing more than an aging backup and if he couldnt keep up at 26 he cant keep up at 29. I am an Acker fan but it was clear early on he wasnt ready for the big show. Why was Johnson put at the bottom of the depth chart despite playing really well last year? Let's keep the guys playing well in limited time on the bench but make sure everyone struggling gets most of the time and continues to do so. So many coaches in the nfl are horrible but stick around due to name or just because there isn't any better. Good coaches can make the changes and see someone is on the downward spiral and should be replaced.. the bad ones dont make the switch until its clear the other players, fans, media, and the woman watching on the couch who hasnt watched a game in her life.

Armstead is another good call I see above. Also, I'd like to see Ward at FS instead of CB. Wonder if we should be playing Reid at SS instead of Tartt and Tartt as like a 3rd down LB/CB/S type player. Reid is a fa I believe after 2016 and we should see if he has a future at SS or if we should move on with Ward. Maybe we just need to get mangini away from our organization and he will go back to being a lot better. Every spot that guy touches goes to s**t. O, TE's, D

That's aggravating as f**k!

I really don't understand how a bunch of random fans, on the Zone, can come to a conclusion on players that suck before an NFL head coach.

It only took the preseason for a lot of us to see that Pears and Deavy shouldn't be starting. But here we are, coming into week 13, and one of them are still starting.

Edit-
I've been saying all year that I'd like to see Ward at FS. He's faster, has better coverage skills, and is a better tackler than Reid. Those concussions have Reid playing timid, and he doesn't read and react anymore.
[ Edited by InsertNameHere on Dec 4, 2015 at 4:17 AM ]
I would like to see Jarryd Hayne get a series of snaps as running back.
  • Goatie
  • Veteran
Member Milestone: This is post number 900 for Goatie.
Ellington at WR
Hayne at KR, PR and back RB

Pear and Devey to get more playing time on another team
Dontae Johnson should be starting. Ack/Reaser should be playing the slot. Ward has no business covering speedy slot recievers. On offense I would like to see the balls Patton/Simpson are getting go to Ellington. Peers needs to be benched rather see what Brown can do. Cant be any worse. Also would like to see Hayne get a shot at PR
[ Edited by CityKing415 on Dec 4, 2015 at 5:01 AM ]
PR: Hayne
KR: Hayne
Gunner: Hayne
3rd RB: Hayne
WR: Ellington
Share 49ersWebzone