LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 272 users in the forums

Blaine Gabbert or Alex Smith?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Blaine Gabbert or Alex Smith?

Originally posted by thl408:
edited my response. wasn't on topic of Alex vs Blaine.

Damn, I missed it
  • thl408
Originally posted by sacniner:
Originally posted by thl408:
edited my response. wasn't on topic of Alex vs Blaine.

Damn, I missed it

Oh I was just talking about that play you referenced. The film thread is coming so it'll be talked about there. Didn't want to derail this thread by talking about one specific play.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
pretty much same dude check downs all day erryday
Originally posted by susweel:

What's up my dude

Out of curiosity, what QBs in the NFL do you prefer that don't check down and are really successful? Maybe Rogers falls in that category? Who else. We know kap doesn't fall in the category of "really successful" anymore.

I think checking down has a negative connotation, but is really important actually. Its a problem when that's all a QB does and they concede defeat on 3rd down with it.
  • jrg
  • Veteran

There's a difference between not wanting to make a tight throw deep and quickly looking for your running back as compared to hitting the play design as called.

Alex Smith: 7.57 average
Gabbert: 8.5 average
Brady: 7.98 average

Russell Wilson is 3rd in yards per attempt at 8.38. So, Gabbert, if he had enough attempts, would be behind only Palmer (8.83) and Big Ben (8.81) yards per attempt.

Gabbert does not shy away from the deeper pass.

LOL, Kap near the bottom at 6.62.
[ Edited by Joecool on Dec 1, 2015 at 11:24 AM ]
Originally posted by Joecool:

There's a difference between not wanting to make a tight throw deep and quickly looking for your running back as compared to hitting the play design as called.

Alex Smith: 7.57 average
Gabbert: 8.5 average
Brady: 7.98 average

Russell Wilson is 3rd in yards per attempt at 8.38. So, Gabbert, if he had enough attempts, would be behind only Palmer (8.83) and Big Ben (8.81) yards per attempt.

Gabbert does not shy away from the deeper pass.

LOL, Kap near the bottom at 6.62.

Nicely put.
I have so much more respect for Alex now that we are dealing with the complete failure of Kap.

I like Blaine's skill set however. He's good.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

What's up my dude

Out of curiosity, what QBs in the NFL do you prefer that don't check down and are really successful? Maybe Rogers falls in that category? Who else. We know kap doesn't fall in the category of "really successful" anymore.

I think checking down has a negative connotation, but is really important actually. Its a problem when that's all a QB does and they concede defeat on 3rd down with it.
This is the problem with that those teams are usually horrendous on 3rd downs just check the numbers for Gabex. Also I think those QBs take the easy catch the defense gives them so they can pad their stats with meaningless completions. I got more respect for a QB that will try to at least push down field for a first down even though his individual numbers may suffer. Gabex is okay right now but I dont expect to ever win anything with him unless the defense is top 5 even then players like that will only take you so far.

• Chico
  • Veteran
Why is everyone hating on this thread? Its a good discussion IMO. A lot of people have compared the 2. I guess because a lot people are still really, really emo over Alex. Hard to get over number 11 for some, maybe more now after Kap flopped.

Thank you! It is a valid question especially when the commentators brought it up. When they said a lot of people were comparing them as similar I was wondering who said that!?! I see very little similarities in the two. Alex is & always will be gun shy & conservative!

I agree.

I prefer sacks and INTs.
This is the problem with that those teams are usually horrendous on 3rd downs just check the numbers for Gabex. Also I think those QBs take the easy catch the defense gives them so they can pad their stats with meaningless completions. I got more respect for a QB that will try to at least push down field for a first down even though his individual numbers may suffer. Gabex is okay right now but I dont expect to ever win anything with him unless the defense is top 5 even then players like that will only take you so far.

Got you.

But what QBs come to mind for you? Specifically.
Originally posted by jrg:

Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
I agree.

I prefer sacks and INTs.

Share 49ersWebzone