LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 321 users in the forums

Blaine Gabbert or Alex Smith?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Blaine Gabbert or Alex Smith?

• Chico
  • Veteran
i heard the commentators say Gabbert was comoparable to Alex Smith and to me there is no comparison. I realzie it's only three games but Blaine just went up against two of the NFL's top defenses and threw for over 300 yards on AZ. I think Alex only had 2-3, 300 yard games in his time with the 49ers. Blaine is more decisive and has a quick release. Alex holds on to the ball forever and afraid to take the chance. He takes more sacks than anyone and scrambles, just like Kap started to do. Alex just never seemed to see the field like Blaine does in his short time as a starter.

I'm just curious what is everyone's thoughts on this?
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I like Blaine's game better. Stronger arm and willing to take shots down field. And also younger.
This is not going to end well or it will end on a unanimous vote.
Would be close with pre shoulder injury Smith. Just physical talent wise, I would take Gabbert over Smith in the draft. Gabbert faster, quicker release than Smith.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Dec 1, 2015 at 10:24 AM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
something tells me this thread is going to create multiple headaches for the mods as time goes along
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
I'd take the 2011-present Alex Smith over present Blaine Gabbert. But hat's just me.
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
make. it. stop.
Who TF is Alex Smith
gabby is the chosen 1

Why do people think Smith and Gabbert are similar? Because Gabbert used his check downs more than Kap? The experts in here can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think some of the check downs and underneath stuff from Gabbert is by design and is his first read. Where he is "supposed to go." There was a 3rd and long last Sunday and Gabbert dumped it to QP quickly for a short gain. I was PISSED. Although, it looked like it was his obvious first read. Dump it off and hope the receiver creates yardage w/ the ball in his hands.

Is it because Gabbert uses his TEs? I think the offense is designed for heavy TE use. I mean we use 3 TEs a lot. Also, besides Boldin, we don't have much else to throw to on the outside. Torrey is a burner but one dimensional.

I don't think Gabbert and Alex are that similar. Gabbert has a stronger arm and will push it down field more. Alex's game is more cerebral. Gabbert looks to improvise a bit more naturally. Alex was actually good at improvising (playoff game in NO) but he was so careful he rarely did. Also, I think its pretty obvious the coach imposed handcuffs are on Gabbert. This coaching staff is EXTREMELY conservative, and the crap o line (who looked better last game) doesn't help.
Why is everyone hating on this thread? Its a good discussion IMO. A lot of people have compared the 2. I guess because a lot people are still really, really emo over Alex. Hard to get over number 11 for some, maybe more now after Kap flopped.
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:

• thl408
Originally posted by sacniner:
Why do people think Smith and Gabbert are similar? Because Gabbert used his check downs more than Kap? The experts in here can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think some of the check downs and underneath stuff from Gabbert is by design and is his first read. Where he is "supposed to go." There was a 3rd and long last Sunday and Gabbert dumped it to QP quickly for a short gain. I was PISSED. Although, it looked like it was his obvious first read. Dump it off and hope the receiver creates yardage w/ the ball in his hands.

Is it because Gabbert uses his TEs? I think the offense is designed for heavy TE use. I mean we use 3 TEs a lot. Also, besides Boldin, we don't have much else to throw to on the outside. Torrey is a burner but one dimensional.

I don't think Gabbert and Alex are that similar. Gabbert has a stronger arm and will push it down field more. Alex's game is more cerebral. Gabbert looks to improvise a bit more naturally. Alex was actually good at improvising (playoff game in NO) but he was so careful he rarely did. Also, I think its pretty obvious the coach imposed handcuffs are on Gabbert. This coaching staff is EXTREMELY conservative, and the crap o line (who looked better last game) doesn't help.

edited my response. wasn't on topic of Alex vs Blaine.
[ Edited by thl408 on Dec 1, 2015 at 10:49 AM ]
  • Nuns
  • Veteran
Originally posted by sacniner:

They are comparable as white first round picks who dissapointed early in their respective careers. They also both played for SF. Outside of that, they are totally different. While Alex was mobile, he wasn't shifty in the pocket. That has been the most impressive thing about Gabbert. When Pears completely whiffs, he gets sacked. Otherwise he moves around in the pocket and makes the oline look better than it is. That throw to Bell was all Gabbert. Alex was fast but didn't have good pocket presence.
Share 49ersWebzone