LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 208 users in the forums

Ray Ray Armstrong

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Joecool:
I'm telling you, I think he is going to be our next Bowman do-it-all. Now only if he can prove his dome is as smart as Bo.

He was flashing right and left in pre season and for that first couple games. Keep your eye on him. Big time competitor.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Originally posted by bors:
Is he still on team or a free agent

He's signed through next year IIRC.

Signed through 2018, cheap deal too,

$1,341,666 cap # in 2017
$1,416,668 cap # in 2018

Omg just saw the video, which is why I flew in here lol. He looks absolutely insane in coverage.
I'm really hoping our DL is so beefy we're able to get by with Ray-Ray as the SAM. I feel might as well leave Smith at WILL where he flourished in SEA.

Thanks AB!

Yeah, that would be ideal. A big portion of the SAM's job is to provide coverage, of which he's excellent at. But at his size, a lot of runs will be coming his way so he'll have to be able to shed blocks, sift through blockers, read-react instantly and blow plays up before they get started, etc. In addition, the SAM will most likely be coming off the field in nickel situations. So the SAM can stay pretty fresh.

I'm telling you, I think he is going to be our next Bowman do-it-all. Now only if he can prove his dome is as smart as Bo.

I've been almost all in on R2 for a minute now. But NC, SAM can come off the field in the nickel if we chose to. But if he proves to be better in nickel compared to Smith or Bow, then he still has a shot to be a 3 down player. If your answer is well yeah, I just wouldn't want someone on the outside looking in thinking the SAM is purely a 2 down player.

TBD, he's a former S...he wouldn't even need to come off the field for a DB and that's a big advantage for us.

Base LBs: Bowman at Mike, Ray-Ray st Will. He's light and fast. That screams Will to me. Malcom looks more like a SAM than Ray Ray does, but can Malcom play it?

Our nickel LBs: seems pretty easy to pick. Bowman and Ray Ray.

Dime LB: this gets interesting. Remember when we started realizing that if one LB was to be left on the field, it should be Bowman over Willis? What if we see that Ray Ray is actually the quicker, better-in-coverage LB? Who gets the lone Dime LB spot?
Originally posted by Lobo49er:
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Originally posted by bors:
Is he still on team or a free agent

He's signed through next year IIRC.

Signed through 2018, cheap deal too,

$1,341,666 cap # in 2017
$1,416,668 cap # in 2018

Omg just saw the video, which is why I flew in here lol. He looks absolutely insane in coverage.
I'm really hoping our DL is so beefy we're able to get by with Ray-Ray as the SAM. I feel might as well leave Smith at WILL where he flourished in SEA.

Thanks AB!

Yeah, that would be ideal. A big portion of the SAM's job is to provide coverage, of which he's excellent at. But at his size, a lot of runs will be coming his way so he'll have to be able to shed blocks, sift through blockers, read-react instantly and blow plays up before they get started, etc. In addition, the SAM will most likely be coming off the field in nickel situations. So the SAM can stay pretty fresh.

I've been almost all in on R2 for a minute now. But NC, SAM can come off the field in the nickel if we chose to. But if he proves to be better in nickel compared to Smith or Bow, then he still has a shot to be a 3 down player. If your answer is well yeah, I just wouldn't want someone on the outside looking in thinking the SAM is purely a 2 down player.

TBD, he's a former S...he wouldn't even need to come off the field for a DB and that's a big advantage for us.

Base LBs: Bowman at Mike, Ray-Ray st Will. He's light and fast. That screams Will to me. Malcom looks more like a SAM than Ray Ray does, but can Malcom play it?

Our nickel LBs: seems pretty easy to pick. Bowman and Ray Ray.

Dime LB: this gets interesting. Remember when we started realizing that if one LB was to be left on the field, it should be Bowman over Willis? What if we see that Ray Ray is actually the quicker, better-in-coverage LB? Who gets the lone Dime LB spot?

Dime spot is gonna be wild as far as competition. As far as the SAM goes, what was Smiths knock in OAK? Just depends on who plays the run better on the strongside...IF they're considering Smith/Armstrong at SAM.
[ Edited by SmokeCrabtrees on Mar 18, 2017 at 12:03 AM ]
Don't forget about Ray!

Nevar! Everyone is still sleeping on our dude here, you can argue he can play 4 positions for us...keep your eye on Ray-Ray if he doesn't win the WILL job(Foster/Smith) to challenge for snaps at the SAM/Nickel/Dime LB spots.

I can see something like this happening.

1st down. Foster-Bow-Smith/Harold/Brooks/Watson

2nd down. Foster-Bow-Ray since the odds increase considerable for a play action/pass.
[ Edited by SmokeCrabtrees on May 13, 2017 at 1:17 PM ]
Anyone else think Ray-Ray is tailor made to be Eric Reid's back up at SS in this D? Former safety, hard hitter and good in coverage when needed all seems to fit to me.
Originally posted by WeeRocco:
Anyone else think Ray-Ray is tailor made to be Eric Reid's back up at SS in this D? Former safety, hard hitter and good in coverage when needed all seems to fit to me.

We have Tartt to back up Reid. Ray Ray will be just fine at WOLB and probably a nickle LBer.

Yeah, I've been saying the same...coverage will be the key for all three of the linebacker positions esp. the WILL and MIKE. If you can tackle and have the speed, esp. lateral speed to cover, you'll rise to the top.
THIS is a nice problem to have.

A stable of quality players to choose from.

Man, it's been a while.

Yeah, I've been saying the same...coverage will be the key for all three of the linebacker positions esp. the WILL and MIKE. If you can tackle and have the speed, esp. lateral speed to cover, you'll rise to the top.

Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
THIS is a nice problem to have.

A stable of quality players to choose from.

Man, it's been a while.

+Uno my jedis.

• jcs
  • Veteran

He was flashing right and left in pre season and for that first couple games. Keep your eye on him. Big time competitor.
Going to be a good special teamer if he can stay healthy.
Originally posted by jcs:

He outright won the starting job last year but this year, certainly an uphill battle which is a good thing.

Quick feet! Man I feel like we got some good depth at LB
I'm hoping he's a starter.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jcs:

He outright won the starting job last year but this year, certainly an uphill battle which is a good thing.
Last year we were running a LB needy system and lacked depth...he's now competing with a healthy Bowman a first round pick and a guy we just gave 26 Million with 13 of it guaranteed. He lost his chance last year due to health and odds are against him probably seeing another here again.
Share 49ersWebzone