There are 190 users in the forums

Seattle Seahawks week 11 coaches film analysis

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Wonder if the rush made Gabbert just throw it quick to Draughn. If he waited for Draughn to make another move to the outside, that mass of humanity in front of him would've blocked any attempt. He stood in there as long as he could to make the throw to Draughn.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Nov 25, 2015 at 1:33 PM ]
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by JoeBart324:
Originally posted by thl408:
More bad run defense because that really was the main point of failure.

Almost looks like Brock doesn't realize it is a run play. He pretty heavily commits to following the "slanting" receiver.

Tartt reacted quickly. Reid and Brock were both very slow.

Brock is so mediocre. Not sure why he is even playing Over Johnson.
This is the near INT to Draughn.

Quick reference to Celek's 2nd TD catch against ATL, run against Cover3.

To Gabbert's left is a man coverage buster. The two In routes attack outside leverage and draw any man coverage defenders forward for the Corner route (89) to attack inside leverage and the open area in the corner of the end zone.
To Gabbert's right is a zone coverage buster that is identical to how Celek scored his 2nd TD vs ATL.
vs Cover3

Gabbert takes the snap and looks to his right towards the zone buster. Same idea as how Celek scored against ATL. Draughn's route draws forward the blue defender to buy a passing lane to Celek. But here, orange is in a good position to defend Celek's route.

So Gabbert targets Draughn on what he thinks is a circle route, but Draughn is pivoting his route back to the outside.

Draughn points to where the pass should have gone.

I would love to know who had the correct route in mind. Gabbert or Draughn. I would be willing to bet that Gabbert did because Draughn is still learning the playbook. Either way, got lucky on that one.
Originally posted by PowderdToastMn:
This is the near INT to Draughn.

Quick reference to Celek's 2nd TD catch against ATL, run against Cover3.

To Gabbert's left is a man coverage buster. The two In routes attack outside leverage and draw any man coverage defenders forward for the Corner route (89) to attack inside leverage and the open area in the corner of the end zone.
To Gabbert's right is a zone coverage buster that is identical to how Celek scored his 2nd TD vs ATL.
vs Cover3

I would love to know who had the correct route in mind. Gabbert or Draughn. I would be willing to bet that Gabbert did because Draughn is still learning the playbook. Either way, got lucky on that one.

I thought Gabbert would probably know the correct route too. Draughn being brand new here and all. Won't rule out the possibility though that Draughn ran it correctly.
  • thl408

I didn't show it, but after this near INT, Draughn pointed to the outside, where Draughn was headed, while Gabbert just clapped his hands together. It seems as though Gabbert knew he messed up.

The 49ers ran the same route combination versus ATL where Draughn ran a circle pivot route. It was on Celek's 2nd TD catch (below).
@thl408 how did the 49ers give up 200 yrds rushing last week (im still mad) game plan,execution, poor tackling???
  • thl408
Originally posted by sanjo49er:
@thl408 how did the 49ers give up 200 yrds rushing last week (im still mad) game plan,execution, poor tackling???

There were missed assignments (execution) on some plays, but poor tackling was the main culprit on most of the big runs (10+ yards). Game plan against the run was the least to blame of the three you listed.

I didn't show it, but after this near INT, Draughn pointed to the outside, where Draughn was headed, while Gabbert just clapped his hands together. It seems as though Gabbert knew he messed up.

The 49ers ran the same route combination versus ATL where Draughn ran a circle pivot route. It was on Celek's 2nd TD catch (below).

This seems to partly be our take on the he/FB arrow plays. In itself it's a complimentary play off of the Texas concept. We have really set up this play since Gabbert taken over because he really hits that Texas routes.

Just as an aside,This play we've ran the last couple of weeks is pretty cool. It's got a bunch of concepts working in it. It's got a little nod action with the TEs route, it has the back arrow flavor and also to the trips side it has both a levels or trail and smash element. Personally I really like the design of this play.
[ Edited by Niners816 on Nov 27, 2015 at 12:05 AM ]
  • thl408
Originally posted by Niners816:
This seems to partly be our take on the he/FB arrow plays. In itself it's a complimentary play off of the Texas concept. We have really set up this play since Gabbert taken over because he really hits that Texas routes.
(snipped)

Just as an aside,This play we've ran the last couple of weeks is pretty cool. It's got a bunch of concepts working in it. It's got a little nod action with the TEs route, it has the back arrow flavor and also to the trips side it has both a levels or trail and smash element. Personally I really like the design of this play.

Yup. It's very complimentary to Texas concept. Below is Texas (Draughn + McDonald)

When the Texas concept is laid over the route combo the 49ers used to score versus ATL and tried again versus SEA, both the RB and TE route are double moves off of Texas.

Oh ok...good to know. Let's hope he learns from it. It's clear he's learned from his time in Jacksonville.

(snipped)

Yup. It's very complimentary to Texas concept. Below is Texas (Draughn + McDonald)

When the Texas concept is laid over the route combo the 49ers used to score versus ATL and tried again versus SEA, both the RB and TE route are double moves off of Texas.

This line of plays are also almost identical to this old school Walsh play:

Couple of factoids on this play:
1.) it was the last play bill Walsh called in the NFL.
2.) on that play, Craig and Rathman swapped routes...so I'm wondering if the formation got called wrong. Because I watch video of Walsh drawing the SB23 winner and he draws this, however on the actual play the backs routes are swapped.
[ Edited by Niners816 on Nov 27, 2015 at 9:48 AM ]
This line of plays are also almost identical to this old school Walsh play:

Couple of factoids on this play:
1.) it was the last play bill Walsh called in the NFL.
2.) on that play, Craig and Rathman swapped routes...so I'm wondering if the formation got called wrong. Because I watch video of Walsh drawing the SB23 winner and he draws this, however on the actual play the backs routes are swapped.

Roger Craig said in his book that both he and Rathman lined up in each other's spots accidentally on that play, and also as a result, Craig was supposed to stay in and block but he ended up running the texas pattern on the wrong side.
Originally posted by BKpower:
Roger Craig said in his book that both he and Rathman lined up in each other's spots accidentally on that play, and also as a result, Craig was supposed to stay in and block but he ended up running the texas pattern on the wrong side.

Cool, I love it. I had only seen Bill Walsh describe the play on a video that was like 20+ years old. He diagramed the above play:

So basically they messed up Bill's last play and it still didn't matter as Jerry motioning across formation and Rathman still releasing to the flat opened up JT. You still had a Texas concept it was just backside.
How many missed tackles did Willis and J Smith have over the years? Lost leadership and incredibly sound fundamentals. Hope these young guys have the drive to keep raising their levels of play!
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
How many missed tackles did Willis and J Smith have over the years? Lost leadership and incredibly sound fundamentals. Hope these young guys have the drive to keep raising their levels of play!

07-10 Patrick Willis was otherworldly, 11-13 Pat was still probowl quality and it's too bad 14 injured Pat was the last we got to see. Usually based on leadership you can get a MLB to play into there mid30s. I really miss 52.

Justin goes without saying, he was the piece that made it all work....set the edge against the rush and open lanes for the pass rush. I would have loved to have him for his entire career.
Share 49ersWebzone