LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 201 users in the forums

Should Tomsula be back next year?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Should Tomsula be back next year?

What kind of question is that. 😡👎
Tomsula will absolutely come back next year, even if he had to share booth with Joan in payroll. Tomsula has no where to go, Nolan, Singletary and especially Harbaugh is making sure that Tomsula is un- hirable in NFL. Karma is a b***h.
Never should have been hired. I think Tomsula is more conservative with O calls than even Harbaugh was. Look at The Patriots and Seahawks, they often go for it on 4th down. Often they get it, either way the players know, these coaches believe in me. If it is a comeback situation i have no faith in Tomsula. He will kick the FG not go for it etc

All the things we didn't like from the previous regime i feel like we still have, and NOT many of the good things. Fangio is gone. D gameplans have been bi polar. Tomsula might be more clueless than Sing but better at hiding it at least. We hired everyone to key positions that was already in house. I dont know why Jed and Baalke thought this would work but so many of us knew this was bad. There were some very loud optimists in this forum and more power to them for always seeing the best outcomes. But we need to get a for real coaching staff here ASAP. Offensive guys, up and coming Defensive guys. Lets get serious for the first time since we brought Harbs in.
Originally posted by smithgdwg:
Originally posted by jedediahyork:
I don't think he should have been hired, but I don't think he'll be fired, either. I have the feeling this is an evaluation year. A lot of these young players didn't get the opportunity to play when Harbaugh was here, and we couldn't keep that defense together forever... those Willis, Borland, and A. Davis retirements really screwed us, and with all the injuries on the offensive side of the ball, you can't really say it's all Tomsula's fault. I mean, he's coaching PS players and second stringers.

But he has no desire to win. Look at him not going for it on 4th and that tells you he should not be coaching in the NFL, but he comes at a cheap price.

I agree he can be more aggressive when the game looks to be about over, but what about when yo gabba called for the offense to go for it early in the ATL game and Tomsula let him?
I don't think he should have been hired, but I don't think he'll be fired, either. I have the feeling this is an evaluation year. A lot of these young players didn't get the opportunity to play when Harbaugh was here, and we couldn't keep that defense together forever... those Willis, Borland, and A. Davis retirements really screwed us, and with all the injuries on the offensive side of the ball, you can't really say it's all Tomsula's fault. I mean, he's coaching PS players and second stringers.

But he has no desire to win. Look at him not going for it on 4th and that tells you he should not be coaching in the NFL, but he comes at a cheap price.
What he needs are new OC & DC, that would fix a lot. The FO is not going to fire him, not after one season. They'll never be able to get quality coaching in for a long time if the NFL see the FO acting like the idiots they are; ONE MORE TIME.
Originally posted by Bali-Niner:

What he needs are new OC & DC, that would fix a lot. The FO is not going to fire him, not after one season. They'll never be able to get quality coaching in for a long time if the NFL see the FO acting like the idiots they are; ONE MORE TIME.

This I absolutely agree with. Mangina has been downright horrible, and Chryst is pretty bad, too. I mean running it on first and second down to open the game with a scrub RB signed from WalMart and a horrible run blocking OL?
No
Baalke should not be back next year. I wish Jed could take a hike too.
  • Veteran
Give me one good reason why he should be back.
Baalke should not be back next year. I wish Jed could take a hike too.

Uh oh..Jed isn't going anywhere..something has to give

• fly15
  • Veteran
No no no no no no
The 49ers were just gashed for over 200 yards franchise record btw, the position JT "teaches" was utterly obliterated. Im starting to think Tomsula was over rated as a DL coach, he made a living off of guys like Justin Smith, Ray Mcdonald ect. He hasnt taught anyone anything this season, the team has regressed beyond recognition. Andrew Tiller is a decent young guard, however the only reason he has an opportunity is because the OL is god awful. Thats hardly any credit to Tomsula teaching ability especially since he doesnt coach the OL. I think JT has even blown this one if its even his call to make, Tiller should have been named starter weeks ago. I have no idea why they would make him rotate with Devey after his poor play. Caradine who actually should have been coached up by Tomsula has been a complete bust this season especially hes lost a lot of stock. Coming out of college everyone agreed he was a solid prospect, no hes on the verge of being cut. So you mentioning the position change is laughable. Every player you claim has "upped there game" under Tomsula was actually coached up under the Harbaugh regime especially Gabbert. Saying Tartt & Armstead have "upped there game" is also laughable considering they are rookies & neither has produced much on the field.

Hopefully York does the right thing at the end of the year & cleans house. That starts with firing Trent Baalke & Jim Tomsula.

Originally posted by blm7754:
I was just about to start a thread about this....

I know I'm in the minority, but I think Tomsula SHOULD be back as HC next year. I'm not gonna make him a scapegoat for things he can't control. Here is my rationale for why we should keep him:

- We all knew this season would be a disaster based purely on the roster makeup and coaching regime change before the season started. So why all the hate on Tomsula now? Fire him because he didn't pull a rabbit out of a hat and turn in a winning season with a team full of rookies and veteran scrubs? That's messed up. This team was headed downhill last year... with Harbaugh, Fangio, Gore, A. Davis, Iupati, Willis, Crabtree, J. Smith, A. Smith, Cox, Culliver, Borland, etc. We loose all those guys and you expect a brand new head coach to magically turn it around? That is irrational.

- Tomsula was hired partially to fill the role of a coach who is a good teacher. Someone who could develop young talent. From what I can see, he's already done a better job of that than Harbaugh did in that regard. Examples: working A. Tiller from a practice squad guy into a starting RG. I love how that all transpired. Gave him just a little bit at a time until he was ready. When was the last time we saw that happen? I'm happy to hear that he's moving Tank Carradine outside where he belongs. Finally. We'll see how that works out. Armistead, Ward, Tarrt, Gabbert, Hyde, Celek, Patton, Lynch.... all young guys that have improved their game under Tomsula.

- Everybody is hating on Tomsula for not going for it on 4th down against Seattle. That is crazy because Harbaugh NEVER would have gone for it in those situations. He was always conservative. He never would have asked his offense to go for it on 4th and long in their own half of the field. Neither would most other coaches.

- Game planning.... I think the game plans (offensively anyway) have been decent. Take what the defense gives you. Be unpredictable. Our offense has certainly been much less predictable than under Roman. That is crucial when your OL isn't playing well. Coaches are helping their limited talent perform their best by using appropriate scheme.

- Why would you fire someone who's most valuable attribute is as a teacher? Give him time to develop players and have a few drafts to work through the system and then judge him. I want to see the percentage of Baalke draft picks that pan out under Tomsula vs Harbaugh. I think that will be a telling statistic if/when we have enough history to compare.

Anybody/everybody, I'm anxious to hear if anybody else feels the same way.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Nah, we already have a water boy and he does a damn fine job
Maybe Jed can get him to take a pay cut. That will let him keep his job next year.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Maybe Jed can get him to take a pay cut. That will let him keep his job next year.

And demoted back to Dline coach
Share 49ersWebzone