LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 264 users in the forums

Week 11 2015: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Nice write up Marvin49. This has been tough to watch not sure i could rewatch it.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Who is faster, Patton or Ellington? Patton seems to be the faster top speed player. Wish we would use him more down the seam over the top like SEA uses Lockette or ARI uses Brown.

Thank goodness. An actual football post!
Originally posted by Bluesbro:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
I thought they could have made very competitive with the score 10-23. Gabbert and the offense got to around the 10yds. First and goal. False start penalty, I think on Devey or Tiller kinda killed the momentum. Ended up kicking the field goal 13-23.

At 17-23 that would have been interesting.

Nah, Rawls would have just run through the 49er defense like Jim Brown, shrugging off tacklers like Earl Campbell. And Tyler Lockette would have punished the 9er defenders for daring to get in his way. Willow would have danced around like Fred Astaire until he gained 10 yds and ran out of bounds for yet another 1st down. Same old same old.

And they always settle for a FG. It is the 49er way.

Saddest part to me was that Seattle was very unimpressive and beatable yesterday. Sure the 49ers were less impressive,which is why Lou Rawls ran like A natural man but come on. Wilson was ordinary and Fox kept highlighting him like he had just thrown for 500 yards. 2015 49ers are where other teams come to turn their seasons around. Seattle did nothing that St Louis, Pittsburgh or any other average team hasn't done to this team. I think an aggressive offensive game plan could have kept pace with their scoring.
Gabbert's release reminds me a little of Aaron Rogers. Ball comes out fast! Maybe that was why he was such a high draft pick. He needs to be more consistent.

In regards to Droughn, he's a big guy and needs to run over defenders who get in his way. I just saw a guy who stops and jukes when a defender is in front of him and gets tackled on the spot.
  • FaTaL
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Sourball:
Saddest part to me was that Seattle was very unimpressive and beatable yesterday. Sure the 49ers were less impressive,which is why Lou Rawls ran like A natural man but come on. Wilson was ordinary and Fox kept highlighting him like he had just thrown for 500 yards. 2015 49ers are where other teams come to turn their seasons around. Seattle did nothing that St Louis, Pittsburgh or any other average team hasn't done to this team. I think an aggressive offensive game plan could have kept pace with their scoring.

your wrong, seattle was in control from the first snap

they got bored of the niners and let up which resulted in the 13 points

they ran the ball at will and wilson had over 250 yards passing, theres nothing ordinary about wilson on sunday, he tore this team apart
It's sad. What's missing are the reports on the "other guys." C'mon Marvin! You critiqued Navorro! What about:

1. Wilhoite?
2. Brooks?

What about anything other than Armistead on the DL? And you didn't even bring up the secondary play! C'mon man!

Safe to say that nobody stood out to you?
I couldn't see the game, Marvin , and worse couldn't hear it either. Appreciated your summary marvin, and was most curious about how gab played, not if we won or not. We weren't going to win this one anyway.

I will say it is a bit surprising , Marvin, that for a guy with good observation qualities, IMO you missed it on kap. Correct that the NFL figured him out after a yr and a half. Just keep the OLBs where they are and shut off any runs to either side. Let the middle of the D plus a blitzer keep him from running. Kap will never beat anyone with his arm. The fastball( why is crabs catching everything and looking all pro at Oakland.? A good qB, that's why). But the thing you disregarded was the pink elephant in the middle of the room. Kap didn't like mechanics, nor Xs and Os. He also worked out like crazy....building that body and keeping it strong. Wrong direction for a Qb. Being able throw the ball 85 yrds , or throw every pass hard...doesn't make a QB. ..Reading Ds, knowing the WR and TE routes, knowing how to throw before the break by knowing where each receiver is on every step without looking....those were where kap let down. One, he just didn't like it and wouldn't learn it....or TWO, he just COULDN'T learn it. The playbook that is. And when you don't know the playbook, you don't know where your guys are....and you can't read Ds....well there you have kap.

For the life of me, I can't understand how that was so hard for fans to see. Oh, there was one other thing....and yes I am an old foggie who isn't enamored of social media. But that was a big part of kap... answering people who dissed him on facebook, or twitter, for each and every goof up he made. And the "7 STORM COMING" thing was just another indication that this kid was just that...a kid. His social interactions were way below his chronologic age. Can you even remotely imagine Brady, Montana, Young, Bradshaw, and so on , taking time to answer every complaint against them on social media? No, I can't either. Maturity wise, he is way behind where he should be. Maybe it was too much fame , too fast and too ephemeral...as in fame because of his looks ...or build. Whatever, his personality, his maturity have really hampered him, despite the fact he never learned the fundamentals of Qbing....film and game study, route learning, D reads, and so on.

That was Kap. No earthly idea of how to play the position, nor especially how to study for it. He got by as you well know on his athleticism, and when he appeared on the scene, was great because no D had seen his type of play before. They ultimately caught on and kap had no fundamentals to fall back on. I believe harbaw knew that when he left/was fired// mutually agreed to leave. ( I believe he was fired, but no matter). I also lay a lot of blame for kap's non knowledge of all things QBing, on his high school coach, his college coaches, and his OC , QB and HC while here. NOBODY ever taught him how to play Qb, and in the end, it showed. The immaturity just made it all worse. Also, I wouldn't worry about kap going elsewhere and suddenly becoming a QB all pro. Won't happen...unless, unless. he happens to end up with Sean Payton, Bellichek, or Gruden, if he ever goes back to the field. Other than that, no worries about kap becoming a star elsewhere.

Everything else, we agree on...altho I relied on you for a recap of the game.

Oh, yes , the JT thing. Ok, look at history. Who has jed hired? The who's who of shiddy coaches
Erickson
Noln
Big MIke, or BM
and finally harbaw, who took a stacked team with 9 yrs of high first and second rd picks and organized them. He was never a great coach. He played not to lose. He also had no idea on how to handle QBs....QB whisperer was the silliest thing anyone could have said about him....the most incorrect also. So Jed has a history of hiring bad coaches, except for harbaw, who baalke hired...and fired. So with Jt, it was once again, firing someone with no idea of who to hire or worse, having an idea and then screwing it up with the OC, DC, and finally HC. That sums it all up. Jed can't hire good talent. Not his forte. And harbaw was NOT a good hire tho he organized assembled great talent well. As a HC he was not what we needed.

Phoenix in another thread proposed the one thing I believe sounds best. Hire 5 guys like Gruden, Pioli, Casserly, maybe Mr. Kraft, Parcells, you get the idea....and have them make a suggestion to jed as to who he should hire. I would hope that sean payton leaves N.O....or bellichek gets a small percentage of the team...you can get the best but it may be expensive. Still that is where we are, needing the best . We have to do a big rebuild, namely 3 OLs, 1 DT, 1 OLB, 1 CB, and all STARTERS thru FA and draft. Then 2017 we get our franchise QB, and another starting RB. After that we get WRs. I think we have a couple or 3 very good TEs in celek, Vmac, and Bell. But the rest....we need first. Before that tho, we need complete cleanout of coaching and a Phoenix type hunt for HC.
I liked how Ellington burned Sherman for a would be 75 yard td if gabbert would of thrown a better ball. Fast shifty wrs kill the Seahawks as well as rb and te passes. That was the best quarterback has done against Seattle's defense in years because of the short passes and quick passes.
Originally posted by elguapo:
I liked how Ellington burned Sherman for a would be 75 yard td if gabbert would of thrown a better ball. Fast shifty wrs kill the Seahawks as well as rb and te passes. That was the best quarterback has done against Seattle's defense in years because of the short passes and quick passes.

Sherman does have trouble guarding the smaller shiftier WRs, hes better at defending seam routes down the sideline, he know when to turn his head arouns since he did use to play WR.
I'm just happy we used Ellington as a receiver outside of stupid WR screens. Hopefully next time Gabbert and him actually connect on some of those long balls.

• MikeD
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Sourball:
Thank goodness. An actual football post!

Yeah no kidding. Its bad enough to have your favorite team the laughing stock of the league, but our own fan base jumping on board
Share 49ersWebzone