LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 237 users in the forums

Week 11 2015: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
1) Gabbert: Not bad but not great. Made some really nice surprising throws out there. A couple of those throws to McDonald and another to Celek. He did tho get very lucky to not have it picked off twice. Still though...not an easy place to play. He was pressured on several instances and didn't fold the way I expected him to.

His MO in Jacksonville was that he was non-functional under pressure, but I didn't see that yesterday.

I am in no way suggesting he's the long term answer at QB, but I have to admit these last two games have me intrigued.

2) Droughn: I'll say this for the guy. He plays HARD. Two games now. His statline wasn't stupendous but that guy worked for every inch he got. Again, not saying he's starting material or anything, but I'm intrigued.

3) Tomsula: Yeah...I'm kinda done. I love the guy, but he isn't a HC (not that this is exactly earth-shattering news). WAY too conservative at the end of the game, and this wasn't the first time. My fear is that Jed will blame this season on all of the offseason losses and give Tomsula another year. I have never bought into the "York won't fire him because of his ego to admit his move failed", but I DO buy into the fact that Jed has liked Tomsula for a long time and doesn't want to pull the carpet out from under a guy he loves. As many others have suggested in the past, Dave Campo in Dallas is who this reminds me of.

I think Tomsula could have been a decent caretaker of a great team that was still intact, but he's just not the guy to rebuild it.

4) Bowman: My heart stopped for a moment watching the game. Bowman is powering through it, but he's not the same guy yet. There was a play there where he was one on one with Rawls in the hole, Rawls made a cut and Navorros knee just buckled. I thought he'd torn it all over again. I think what it really showed though was just that the knee isn't all the way back. I hope he'll be more himself next year.

5) Armstead: Really hard to have praise for anyone on a line that gave up over 200 yards rushing to single back, but Armstead flashed several times yesterday. Yes, there were times that he got walled out of a play and times that he could have played better, but there were also times that he showed off that power, tossed guys aside, made some good swim moves AND got pressure on Wilson. I hate to see Dorsey go down, but the silver lining is that it may get Armstead more experience to be a starter next year.

6) Tackling: Woah...did the entire defense just suddenly forget how to tackle yesterday. Even usually sure tacklers were missing them yesterday. Environment? Effort? No idea, but that was some of the worst tackling I've seen from a Niner team in some time.

7) McDonald: Was really nice to see him make a couple big plays. Makes you wonder if the QB made the difference, but hard to say that with the number of times the ball just bounced off his hands in the past. Still though, if he can continue that then perhaps a McDonald/Celek TE combo might be their long term future. Only one game though, so way too soon to tell.

8) Boldin: I hate to say it, but the dude needs to go on IR. There is no reason for him to be out there. He played well when he played, but you can't rush a hamstring. All he's doing is prolonging the injury by playing. I know he want to be out there and that's commendable, but playing a few snaps and missing a few more weeks isn't worth it. I know he's said he wants to come back and I hope he does, but he needs to take care of that leg. There's nothing left to play for this year.

9) Lynch: Dude still keeps getting pressure. I kinda wondered last year if he was a flash in the pan. I was even more concerned when it seemed he was out of shape prior to camp and then injured...but dude has been the only real force in the pass rush all season. Pairing him up with another good pass rusher should be a priority this offseason (Aldon, Irvin, Draft Pick?).

10) Kap: I hadn't commented on the Kap situation before because I really didn't know what to make of it all. Now that he's on IR, I figured I'd comment. To me, the whole situation is a great big waste. Say what you want about Kap making reads, missing open receivers, etc, the dude is talented. HUGE talent. Maybe nobody is capable of utilizing it and maybe it requires somebody the 49ers haven't hired. I don't know. What kills me the most though is that I can see hgim going someplace else and becoming the QB we all want him to be. I'm not saying that's a guarantee, but that would drive me nuts.

What's more is that he's not a Michael Vick who was too lazy to improve. He's not a Randall Cunningham who fell in love with the celebrity and wouldn't work at his craft. Kap WORKS...but SOMETHING just isn't clicking. He isn't that same QB who wowed us all in 2012 and I don't know what happened. Did the league catch up? Did he regress? Was he never as good as we thought? Maybe all of those and maybe none of them. Dunno.

What I do know though is that if his time is truly done in SF, its a bummer. The guy really wanted it and worked for it.

Moreover, it means we are all the way back to pre-2011...one of the 20+ teams in the league who have a big ? at the most important position in professional sports. That's a crappy spot to be in.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Nov 23, 2015 at 8:20 AM ]
If Tomsula isn't fired after this year, niner fans need to riot
And Gabbert is way more of a functional quarterback against Seattle than Kap has ever been. Seattle isn't the same team, but neither are the 49ers.
Cunninghame fell in love w/ celebrity? When was that? In Philly? Seems like Kap may have also, but I don't give a shi* about that if he can play well.

Kap may have flashes in the future but he'll NEVER be consistently awesome. Why? Because of his mental makeup. Defenses will constantly scheme to confuse him and when he starts thinking too much, well we've seen what happens. Unless he goes to a team that is just great (coaching, teammates, locker room) he'll have the same struggles. Its frustrating because he shows flashes and then goes to being non-functional.

How long would you give him? Another year? Is he worth the salary and cap hit?
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
3) Tomsula: Yeah...I'm kinda done. I love the guy, but he isn't a HC (not that this is exactly earth-shattering news). WAY too conservative at the end of the game, and this wasn't the first time. My fear is that Jed will blame this season on all of the offseason losses and give Tomsula another year. I have never bought into the "York won't fire him because of his ego to admit his move failed", but I DO buy into the fact that Jed has liked Tomsula for a long time and doesn't want to pull the carpet out from under a guy he loves. As many others have suggested in the past, Dave Campo in Dallas is who this reminds me of.

I think Tomsula could have been a decent caretaker of a great team that was still intact, but he's just not the guy to rebuild it.

Kaepernick and Gabbert saved Tomsula's job IMO. One) Kaepernick will be made the scapegoat to this horrid first half of the season. Two) Gabbert has shown this team can be somewhat competitive earning another year for Tomsula to keep working.
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
If Tomsula isn't fired after this year, niner fans need to riot

He won't for sure. Jed will blame Kap, maybe Chryst and/or Mangini. Says that he wants consistency. Tomsula's bum ass will NOT be fired. Also, not sure why so many Niner fans "love" him like they know him or something. Why? Because he seems like a decent guy? Who cares. He may or may not be in real life. He is a horrendous coach, bottom line. I'm sick of the he's such a nice guy BS. People thought OJ was a nice guy when he was doing Hertz commercials. My point is, Tomsula may be a decent guy BUT WHO CARES.
Originally posted by sacniner:
Cunninghame fell in love w/ celebrity? When was that? In Philly? Seems like Kap may have also, but I don't give a shi* about that if he can play well.

Kap may have flashes in the future but he'll NEVER be consistently awesome. Why? Because of his mental makeup. Defenses will constantly scheme to confuse him and when he starts thinking too much, well we've seen what happens. Unless he goes to a team that is just great (coaching, teammates, locker room) he'll have the same struggles. Its frustrating because he shows flashes and then goes to being non-functional.

I'm not suggesting he stay. Just sayin' the entire situation bums me out. From where we were in 2012 seeming like the Niners were just at the beginning of that window with a great young QB 2 only a few seasons later in complete rebuild.

Are you serious on Cunningham? He fell in love with the celebrity in a BIG way. Didn't listen to coaches, didn't put in the work until he was a much older player in Minn.
Originally posted by Kolohe:

Kaepernick and Gabbert saved Tomsula's job IMO. One) Kaepernick will be made the scapegoat to this horrid first half of the season. Two) Gabbert has shown this team can be somewhat competitive earning another year for Tomsula to keep working.

Yeah, I think Yorkaalke will use this as the primary reason. This will be easy for them.

Yorkaalke have their teeth in Tomsula. He is the ideal yes man that will never disobey. After they had Harbaugh punking them for the betterment of the team, they love having the easy, push over puppet in Tomsula
  • Buchy
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
And Gabbert is way more of a functional quarterback against Seattle than Kap has ever been. Seattle isn't the same team, but neither are the 49ers.

Seattle didn't even get out of 2nd gear, they knew we had no chance - was just a walk for them.
During the Fangio years team tackling was a priority, there were no yards after the catch and the run was stuffed. I liked what I've seen in Gabbert. Totally agree on Tomsula, will the Yorks give any coach control? I think not, Tomsula gets another year or two or three like Nolan and Singletary.

Originally posted by Marvin49:

I'm not suggesting he stay. Just sayin' the entire situation bums me out. From where we were in 2012 seeming like the Niners were just at the beginning of that window with a great young QB 2 only a few seasons later in complete rebuild.

Are you serious on Cunningham? He fell in love with the celebrity in a BIG way. Didn't listen to coaches, didn't put in the work until he was a much older player in Minn.

Yeah, the Kap situation is a back breaker. Devastating for the team. I think we'll suck a while now.

I don't really remember. I was super young when he was in Philly. I know that he did mature a lot in Minny.

Yeah, I think Yorkaalke will use this as the primary reason. This will be easy for them.

Yorkaalke have their teeth in Tomsula. He is the ideal yes man that will never disobey. After they had Harbaugh punking them for the betterment of the team, they love having the easy, push over puppet in Tomsula

I will say this though...

...If Tomsula was really safe I think we'd be hearing more from Jed and Trent on the topic. Those guys WANT him to succeed in the worst way, so the silence from them might be damning.

Jed has only said they'd wait to the end of the year to assess. Is he just sidestepping the question? Is he really hoping Tomsula gives him a reason to keep him? Does he already know a change needs to be made but doesn't want to fire him mid-season?

The only thing I can be assured of here is that Jed can't win no matter what he does.

If he keeps Tomsula the fanbase will revolt and Jed will be accused of being cheap or having too big an ego to fire him. If Jed does fire him the national media will suddenly paint Tomsula as the victim of bad ownership who never gave him a chance to succeed.

Such is the NFL.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Nov 23, 2015 at 8:48 AM ]
I share your fear - JT will return.
The comment about Kap. I don't think Kap worked on his craft and did fall in love with the celebrity which was why he focused more on improving his body rather than improving as a QB. He only started working on true QBing this offseason and even that was mostly how to review film. Reviewing film isn't something that should be isolated but something that should be learned while he's actually reviewing film during the season. Footwork, anticipation, touch, and fundamentals regarding the staying physically consistent as a QB is what should be isolated for offseason training.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Marvin49:

I will say this though...

...If Tomsula was really safe I think we'd be hearing more from Jed and Trent on the topic. Those guys WANT him to succeed in the worst way, so the silence from them might be damning.

Jed has only said they'd wait to the end of the year to assess. Is he just sidestepping the question? Is he really hoping Tomsula gives him a reason to keep him? Does he already know a change needs to be made but doesn't want to fire him mid-season.

The only thing I can be assured of here is that Jed can't win no matter what he does.

If he keeps Tomsula the fanbase will revolt and Jed will be accused of being cheap or having to big an ego to fire him. If Jed does fire him the national media will suddenly paint Tomsula as the victim of bad ownership who never gave him a chance to succeed.

Such is the NFL.

I was good with Jed York till he fired Harbaugh. That's one of two reasons why I can't stand Jed York, the other was the hiring of Tomsula. Other than that I'm good.
Share 49ersWebzone