There are 136 users in the forums

Week 9 ATL Falcons coaches film analysis

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by communist:
Originally posted by thl408:
The 49ers were excellent on 3rd down defense and that was what allowed them to win this game defensively. Chris Davis and Marcus Cromartie...who?? Those were the starting CBs against Julio and Roddy. Granted this is 33(?) year old Roddy, but still a dynamic duo nonetheless. The 49ers came with some very nicely disguised blitzes and rushes, and put the pressure on their secondary to cover. Whether is was from a blitz from the slot CB, safety, or disguised 4 man rush where the 4th rusher was someone that was not lined up on the LoS, it seemed Ryan was never truly comfortable in the pocket. Although only sacked twice, Ryan on some occasions settled for harmless checkdowns for minimal yards.
once in my football lifetime, thl is wrong and I am not so wrong
Dontae and Cromartie were the starters, Chris Davis was way behind them, according to following source:
http://www.ninersnation.com/2015/11/9/9696160/49ers-defensive-snap-count-tank-carradine-benched-backup-cornerbacks

It's the little things in life, I guess. HAHA! I'm just glad my flubs like that aren't always called out! lol
  • thl408
The 49ers were excellent on 3rd down defense and that was what allowed them to win this game defensively. Chris Davis and Marcus Cromartie...who?? Those were the starting CBs against Julio and Roddy. Granted this is 33(?) year old Roddy, but still a dynamic duo nonetheless. The 49ers came with some very nicely disguised blitzes and rushes, and put the pressure on their secondary to cover. Whether is was from a blitz from the slot CB, safety, or disguised 4 man rush where the 4th rusher was someone that was not lined up on the LoS, it seemed Ryan was never truly comfortable in the pocket. Although only sacked twice, Ryan on some occasions settled for harmless checkdowns for minimal yards.
once in my football lifetime, thl is wrong and I am not so wrong
Dontae and Cromartie were the starters, Chris Davis was way behind them, according to following source:
http://www.ninersnation.com/2015/11/9/9696160/49ers-defensive-snap-count-tank-carradine-benched-backup-cornerbacks

Ah my mistake. I got confused because I saw Chris Davis lined up at RCB. But that was in Dime situations as DJ lined up at the LoS to either blitz or fake blitz. But in base 3-4, yeah DJ was the starter.
Ah my mistake. I got confused because I saw Chris Davis lined up at RCB. But that was in Dime situations as DJ lined up at the LoS to either blitz or fake blitz. But in base 3-4, yeah DJ was the starter.

PFF, is gonna have to downgrade you for that
I have been waiting for this thread all week! Great stuff guys!
This was a play following the previous play I posted on the TS back shoulder throw. Again, when we're backed up against our own endzone, he moves the ball out to get the chains moving and get us out of the shadow of our own endzone to change field position.

We're backed up and we're going to run a "speedo" concept off PA. It's called, "Y-speedo" or "Y-cross" sometimes. The idea is that the 2 vertical routes will clear out the zone for the deep crossing route. Think of Patton's catch last week - same concept.

we try and run PA to suck up the LB's to create more space for the crossing route - doesn't work.

The outside defender on the concept side doesn't drop with the vertical routes. He's the key defender on the play.

You see how ATL covered the play well, there's no where to go with the ball on the concept side.

Gabbert then escapes to his left.

From the endzone, you see that ATL ran a stunt to create pressure.

Pears comes off just in time, but the DT is still going to create pressure and Gabbert is going to do a good job of moving in the pocket.

He jets out to his left.

The big thing -when he gets out, he keeps his eyes downfield. This is what's going to cause the zone defender to keep dropping. He see's a QB coming out who's looking to throw and with his eyes on the QB he thinks there's a receiver behind him.

So, as he comes out, you see how much room the RB had. The defender kept retreating with no one behind him, but because Gabbert kept his eyes downfield it moved the defender.

The RB catches it and gains 12 yards. He got to his 4th read on the play and moved the chains backed up against our own endzone - that's big boy QB play. I know it's just 1 game, but it's plays like this that show you why I'm liking this guy right now.
Originally posted by jonnydel:
It's the little things in life, I guess. HAHA! I'm just glad my flubs like that aren't always called out! lol
you are a goner, useless to even try it.
Originally posted by Niners816:
PFF, is gonna have to downgrade you for that
Would ban him right away.
you are a goner, useless to even try it.

LOL! Yup!
great breakdown. If we can continue to get the ball out on time and complete the underneath, the over the top routes(T. Smith) will develop.
Overall, offensively it just seemed like a more professional outing. Play call wise it seemed like we we're more varied....now I don't know specifically if that was the case our if it just seemed that way because we were getting to the check downs and the backs in the flat. Didn't notice the 5+ slide plays in this game (I recall one, I think Gabbert just threw it away).

This is the first time I've really watch Blaine and I came away thinking there is definitely something to work with going forward. Hopefully this is his "lights on" moment.

Does anyone think the success on defense was partly attributed to the success of our offense? I know the TOP was still a bit skewed in ATL's favor, but when your offense scores points and plays the field position battle, it certainly makes it easier for a defense
Very impressed with Gabberts ability to feel pressure. He got shell shocked in Jax, but he was really young. He seems to have matured, and showed some fire when they pulled him.

If he's able to stay confident and not get shell shocked, do you guys think we potentially have something here?
This was a play following the previous play I posted on the TS back shoulder throw. Again, when we're backed up against our own endzone, he moves the ball out to get the chains moving and get us out of the shadow of our own endzone to change field position.

We're backed up and we're going to run a "speedo" concept off PA. It's called, "Y-speedo" or "Y-cross" sometimes. The idea is that the 2 vertical routes will clear out the zone for the deep crossing route. Think of Patton's catch last week - same concept.

we try and run PA to suck up the LB's to create more space for the crossing route - doesn't work.

The outside defender on the concept side doesn't drop with the vertical routes. He's the key defender on the play.

You see how ATL covered the play well, there's no where to go with the ball on the concept side.

Gabbert then escapes to his left.

From the endzone, you see that ATL ran a stunt to create pressure.

Pears comes off just in time, but the DT is still going to create pressure and Gabbert is going to do a good job of moving in the pocket.

He jets out to his left.

The big thing -when he gets out, he keeps his eyes downfield. This is what's going to cause the zone defender to keep dropping. He see's a QB coming out who's looking to throw and with his eyes on the QB he thinks there's a receiver behind him.

So, as he comes out, you see how much room the RB had. The defender kept retreating with no one behind him, but because Gabbert kept his eyes downfield it moved the defender.

The RB catches it and gains 12 yards. He got to his 4th read on the play and moved the chains backed up against our own endzone - that's big boy QB play. I know it's just 1 game, but it's plays like this that show you why I'm liking this guy right now.

Love this. This is the kind of intelligent QBing we need right now when we don't have all the talent on the O-line, RB, TE, etc. The key is consistency though. Can Gabbert keep it up? We'll see. I hope so. At least he doesn't look hopeless and it seems like he's making smart decisions when s**t breaks down instead of reckless choices. At this point...that in itself is a huge upgrade.
thank you for these threads! I don't have much to add but read them every week!
Share 49ersWebzone