LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 263 users in the forums

Week 9 ATL Falcons coaches film analysis

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Joecool:
For week 10, I would like to see film analysis on the ARI/SEA game.

I hope so too, but since its not a 49ers game, Im not sure it will be cut up here. I'm particularly interested in seeing what cover 3 beaters the Cards used. I havent seen their zone getting carved up as badl since the superbowl.
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Wanted to touch on the 2nd TD pass to Celek. Thought it was a great throw and catch and a good job of Gabbert staying in the pocket with a defender coming at him. You should recognize this play, it's very similar to, "the catch III".

We're going to run an out/in post with Celek and a snag route with Draugh(sucker concept). While the backside we run a scissors/smash concept. Note the safety to the 3 receiver side. This reveals that it's going to be cover 2, not cover 3. Against cover 3 you're going to look for the other side, cover 2 you'll look for the post.

At the snap, Gabbert, again, does a good job of keeping his head in the middle of the field. This holds the LB covering the middle. You see the outside defender pressing up on the "snag" route from the RB - this is the sucker concept, the key read is on that defender, if he trails back with the TE you hit the snag, if he comes up, you look to the post or DIG.

I like the out/in post(it escapes me what the route is called, for some reason....)because it causes the safety to turn his hips. You see how the LB in the middle has turned towards teh 3 receiver side because Gabbert has kept his head down the middle of the field(I'm sure his eyes are on that outside LB though).

Gabbert delivers the ball into a small window - though the window is only there because he did some other things right.

you see that while he was in his motion, he had a defender bearing down on him. That's tough to stand in there to make this throw with a defender in your face.

You see he gets hit right after he throws the ball.
Great blocking by Boone and Staley
Originally posted by leakyfausett:

Yeah I know right It's like they know the call and be like...ok that should be just long enough to get the ball out.

It was a stunt by the Falcons on that side. Two vets having trouble handling that.
Originally posted by leakyfausett:
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Wanted to touch on the 2nd TD pass to Celek. Thought it was a great throw and catch and a good job of Gabbert staying in the pocket with a defender coming at him. You should recognize this play, it's very similar to, "the catch III".

We're going to run an out/in post with Celek and a snag route with Draugh(sucker concept). While the backside we run a scissors/smash concept. Note the safety to the 3 receiver side. This reveals that it's going to be cover 2, not cover 3. Against cover 3 you're going to look for the other side, cover 2 you'll look for the post.

At the snap, Gabbert, again, does a good job of keeping his head in the middle of the field. This holds the LB covering the middle. You see the outside defender pressing up on the "snag" route from the RB - this is the sucker concept, the key read is on that defender, if he trails back with the TE you hit the snag, if he comes up, you look to the post or DIG.

I like the out/in post(it escapes me what the route is called, for some reason....)because it causes the safety to turn his hips. You see how the LB in the middle has turned towards teh 3 receiver side because Gabbert has kept his head down the middle of the field(I'm sure his eyes are on that outside LB though).

Gabbert delivers the ball into a small window - though the window is only there because he did some other things right.

you see that while he was in his motion, he had a defender bearing down on him. That's tough to stand in there to make this throw with a defender in your face.

You see he gets hit right after he throws the ball.

Our other QB would have bailed right here where the DL is breaking free only about 3 yards from Gabbert and Celek with his back turned.
Our other QB would have bailed right here where the DL is breaking free only about 3 yards from Gabbert and Celek with his back turned.

Kaep guys be like:

'lol No time to throw. Oline sucks.'
'Start Gabbert? LOL He suck worse'

50 pages of debate, blaming Jed, Baalke and the coaches.
  • thl408
Is this primarily so the defense is in position to tackle down hill rather than trying to bat the ball and risk 5+ yards of RAC?
Joecool's quote above was in response to:
http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/177595-blaine-real-american-gabbert/page263/#post3935

Yes, it's for the defender to watch the play develop while attacking downhill. When playing cover3 using a cover 2 presnap look, it allows the defense to rotate one of its safeties down to an underneath zone for the reasons mentioned. It also allows some creativity in the post snap rotation. The DC can rotate his safety into a curl/flat zone, or a hook zone (like what SEA was doing versus ARI), depending on where he wants to move his "chess piece", that downhill safety. This is how Chancellor whacks WRs on shallow routes. This is how Tartt whacked Julio.

Cover 3 from a 2 deep presnap look. Black are deep zones, orange is underneath zones. Tartt comes downhill to play the strongside curl/flat zone. (jonny broke this play down a bit differently earlier in this thread).

Tartt can watch the play develop while rotating down.

Johnny D, THL,

Pattern match is probably one of the most effective defenses vs the pass and it is very difficult for a QB to anticipate unless the throw is made to an open spots to the normal holes in the coverage. These throws are very high end throws which most QB's just don't make. Let's say a slot receiver has an option route to go right at Kam at about 10 yards. Even if the QB and the WR anticipate the correct direction, if Kam and his help are communicating well, then the match defender picks up the slot receiver no matter which way he breaks. Timed well, the match defender can jump it for an INT. This means not only does the QB need to already predict which way his target is going to break, the pass cannot lead too much and cannot be thrown too far behind.

Basically, there's probably only about 3-4 QB's AND targets in the league who can coordinate this properly.
We have been thinking about a Cover 3 buster but no one has been thinking about a Pattern Match buster.

What about stacking receivers in the formation similar to what SEA did in the INT Wilson threw in the Superbowl? Stack the targets and send them both at Kam. Have one run past him and have one stop about 3 yards in front of him. The QB simply reads whether Kam stays, falls back, or jumps the short route. If he stays, then both routes are open. If he falls back or jumps...well, then the options are simple. This is sort of similar to what other teams have done with sending a route into the cover 3 zone and then sending a delayed underneath or over route. But the problem is that those flood concepts rely on more time in the pocket OR throwing to a blind spot whereas the stacked concept provide quick hitters.

For example, the play above has Jones committing his route early so Tartt was able to jump to the first receiver and then bounce onto Jones. What if ATL sent both Jones and the first receiver to Tartt and THEN had Jones stop short underneath while the first receiver cut just after Tartt. Then Tartt would be delayed a little more.
[ Edited by Joecool on Nov 19, 2015 at 2:21 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone