LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 250 users in the forums

we should play to win at all costs or lose for higher draft pick

Shop Find 49ers gear online

we should play to win at all costs or lose for higher draft pick

I'll just copy and paste what I submitted in the Playoffs(!!) thread:
Draft-Smaft.
I want wins.
This game is what guys like Bowman and Staley do for a living, and some folks have been wanting the lesser members of the team and staff to blow chunks all over the place for future remedy.
A talented core that stays and fights is more beneficial in the long run than a core that gives up and becomes a joke.
Period.
Originally posted by crake49:
Originally posted by communist:
Originally posted by OldMort49:
Baalke would trade the top pick for two 3rd rounders and a 7th in 2017.
right, Baalke built up a history of bad trades...

I may be way off on this, but I don't think Baalke's going to be trading down this next draft. The team is not in an 'add depth' position now. The team needs impact players.

Baalke isn't going to change.
"winning at all costs" is a misleading term. There is no great sacrifice at the expense of winning. The 49ers are supposed to play the players who give them the best chance at winning. At the end of the year a draft position will be assigned. We will also know what position needs upgrading in addition to the obvious. Better to be 1 or 2 games out of a playoff spot than not playing your best players.

I may be way off on this, but I don't think Baalke's going to be trading down this next draft. The team is not in an 'add depth' position now. The team needs impact players.

He better i am sure his ass his on a short leash.
I say play to win. Remember we have Baalke drafting players so there will be nervousness wherever we draft. I think we need Scott McCloughan back. Sure he may have drank too much (Allegedly) but man was a genious and part of the reason Seattle is where they are right now.

http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/12014699/scot-mccloughan-nfl-best-talent-scout-self-employed-living-farm
would love a high draft spot but it is important to show the league that the 49ers arent completely dead and that we can come back next year and compete.

If we at least show everyone that we have something to build on, we can attract more FAs.

Plus i hate losing especially to our division rivals

and I don't think that Baalke will reach for a prospect (much).

let's say, we get a top5-pick and we trade down to 8th ovr. do you consider the pick a draft for depth?
[ Edited by communist on Nov 9, 2015 at 12:33 PM ]
Originally posted by 5Jan2003:
I'll just copy and paste what I submitted in the Playoffs(!!) thread:
Draft-Smaft.
I want wins.
This game is what guys like Bowman and Staley do for a living, and some folks have been wanting the lesser members of the team and staff to blow chunks all over the place for future remedy.
A talented core that stays and fights is more beneficial in the long run than a core that gives up and becomes a joke.
Period.

well said
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
would love a high draft spot but it is important to show the league that the 49ers arent completely dead and that we can come back next year and compete.

If we at least show everyone that we have something to build on, we can attract more FAs.

Plus i hate losing especially to our division rivals
This, we just need Quality OL/DL depth. any must have OL/DL guys this upcoming draft ?
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
you play to win the game. you deal with the draft when it comes , not in early november in my opinion

Just win baby!
  • MFWIC
  • Veteran
I don think that just after this win in the last game we can talk about choosing to get a constant winning theme for rest of season.

For me this game was a dead cat bounce, but will be happily surprised if we keep on wining, "surprised" being the choice word.
To me it's not just for better draft pick.

To me this franchise isn't going anywhere with this coaching staff and maybe some of the people in the front office.

IMO the reason I want us to lose is to eliminate any chance that York tries to pretend this season is a success. The more wins we get the more chance he tries to pretend this was all due to Kaepenrick or some injuries and doesn't make the changes necessary to make this franchise successful again.

An earlier draft pick is just an added bonus because it makes the franchise a better location for an incoming HC candidate. If you're going in to fix a crappy team would you rather have a top pick or middle/later pick with a lot of holes to fill?
Originally posted by boast:
do you prefer losing for higher draft placement?

OR

fostering a culture of winning, especially in a young team like ours?
The question is not "which do you prefer?". Obviously every person would choose the second one, all things equal. The real question is, does winning actually establish that culture, or is it just unsubstantiated, generic, romanticized fluff that we tell ourselves to feel better about our team?

I wanted the team to do really poorly in 2005 so that we could draft Reggie Bush. We ended up winning the final two games of the season, and finished 4-12. I said the same thing you're saying now. I said, "you know what? Maybe we missed out on the top pick of the draft, but the important thing is that we've fostered a winning attitude. That's more important than any other player."

We were mediocre in 2006.
We were mediocre in 2007.
We were mediocre in 2008.
We were mediocre in 2009.
We were mediocre in 2010.

Over those 5 years, we went 33-47 (.413 win percent). There was no winning culture that was established. We were still awful. By the time we become relevant again under Harbaugh, the roster was dramatically different. It wasn't a result of breeding a winning mentality in the players we had, it was largely the result of replacing the players we had with more talented ones. Now, Bush ended up being a bust (and Davis was great), but that's all besides the point. That was more good fortune than anything.

There's too much parity in the NFL. Roster turnover is extremely high. I think a winning culture is exaggerated. Get talented players. The higher we pick in the draft, the more opportunities we have at talented players. While we're at it, get a talented coaching staff. Screw the moral victories, give me the route that puts us in the best position to acquire talent.
[ Edited by theduke85 on Nov 9, 2015 at 1:48 PM ]
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by MFWIC:
I don think that just after this win in the last game we can talk about choosing to get a constant winning theme for rest of season.

For me this game was a dead cat bounce, but will be happily surprised if we keep on wining, "surprised" being the choice word.

What the heck is a dead cat bounce?
Share 49ersWebzone