LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 255 users in the forums

we should play to win at all costs or lose for higher draft pick

Shop Find 49ers gear online

we should play to win at all costs or lose for higher draft pick

• boast
  • Hella Fame
i see a lot posters who are mad we won yesterday because it messed up a chance at a higher pick.

do you prefer losing for higher draft placement?

OR

fostering a culture of winning, especially in a young team like ours?

remember, almost every coach will preach the first step to being a great team is learning how to win.
This shouldn't even be a question.
  • Disp
  • Veteran
Win. f**k losing for a higher draft pick. I don't like being pissed off on Sundays and Mondays, and frankly drafting top 15 for 10 years didn't do a whole hell of a lot for us. Sure we got Willis and VD with top 10 picks, but there are 7 rounds to draft players.
Play to win. No one is tank worthy in this draft.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
personally I would rather go 2-14 and get the top pick but Im not gonna be "mad" over winning.
mid-season? winning. last 3-4 weeks we can think about tanking.
after yesterday, i want us to win now. maybe this team does have some fight in them. if we lose the next game, then i hope we lose out.
I say win, but its tough to see better talented teams snatching top end players before us. 2011 draft for example, missed out on Julio, PP, because we won the last game. Oh yeah, it was Tomsula's interim game.
Originally posted by stud85:
I say win, but its tough to see better talented teams snatching top end players before us. 2011 draft for example, missed out on Julio, PP, because we won the last game. Oh yeah, it was Tomsula's interim game.

We had one. He decided the bottle was more important.
Doesn't really matter what we think. We know what's going to happen. We'll lose some games to get the draft guys all excited about a top pick and then win the last 2 or 3 games to mess it up.

If you're asking what the 49ers should do, it's impossible to try to lose games, because all of those who could induce a loss (players, coaches, coordinators) are deeply incentivized against doing so (job security, performance-based future contracts).

Basically the only way to do it is for the GM or owner to intentionally amass an untalented team before the season starts a la the 76ers.

If you're asking what we as fans should prefer, I think the easy answer once your team is out of the playoffs and needs a QB is to prefer to lose out.

I'm not entirely convinced by that though, particularly for a young team like the 9ers, and particularly with an upcoming draft that doesn't seem to have any "can't miss QBs."

With a team with as many young starters as the 9ers have, to root for them to lose out is essentially to say "I'm rooting for the majority of Hyde, Ellington, Patton, McDonald, Celek, Bell, Tiller, Dial, Armstead, Lynch, Harold, Tartt, Ward, Acker, Reaser, and Johnson to get injured or be blown picks so that the 9ers have a chance at landing Goff."

At the end of the day I'd rather root for a good and young team that needs a QB than a than a bad and young team that needs a QB and has a marginally better chance of landing one.
  • thl408
In before Herm Edwards. Losing for improved draft position is the silver lining, not the goal.
Baalke would trade the top pick for two 3rd rounders and a 7th in 2017.
[ Edited by OldMort49 on Nov 9, 2015 at 11:44 AM ]
Originally posted by stud85:

Yeah but do you think the Cards would rather have Peterson or JJ Watt right?
Another key point, IF Blaine Gabbert shows he can be a stop-gap at worst at QB, it gives us more options in the first. I prefer to avoid QB altogether in the first and second rounds and strictly go BPA. There will be some major talent available at DL and OLB which are the two key positions I think we need to fill to make our defense one of the best again. Add in a decent ILB and we have the potential to be top 5 in a year or two.
Share 49ersWebzone