LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 193 users in the forums

Week 9 2015: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Please with the performance all around in this game with the exception of Martin, that guy is awful and shouldn't even be playing at this point. In my view I believe he's a large part of the reason for Boone's subpar performances because when one cog is fatally flawed it drags the bunch down. Blaine Gabbert played pretty well considering the circumstances. Sure it was against a suspect defense but he did what he needed to do. The real litmus test is Seattle.

Not sure if I really even want this team to win at this point. I'd prefer a lot of losses while certain key players flash talent. We are seeing Tartt improving quickly as well as the maturation of Ward as a starter on defense. Also, for all the bad feelings people seem to have about him, Arik Armstead has played pretty well for a rookie.

Guys I'd like to see more of:
- Tartt
- Ward
- Bell
- Patton
-Armstead

This years draft class is shaping up to be a good one.
[ Edited by bzborow1 on Nov 9, 2015 at 11:34 AM ]
I was really interested in this game. Would it show what the problem really was? It may have. Yes, a change on the OL, but mostly it was the QB. Gabbert really seems to be good. Big, quick, accurate, decisive, fast enough, good enough arm, knows the game, has instincts... the whole team did better. This gets to the defense as well as they aren't discouraged or tired.

Does he have the palotas? Seems like it. All QBs shy away from giant unblocked defenders and the resultant surgeries and short careers. He seems just fine to me and such criticism usually comes from couch drunks anyway.

I was a CK fan, but for various reasons he has regressed and it sure seems that Gabbert is the best, and a good choice.

The coaches get some love too. They prepared guys off the practice squad to play and to play very well first time out.

The future is much brighter now. It seems the draft can be concentrated on a few areas of concern, not every position...

BTW, the guys who came in and contributed were drafted by someone. Not ready to can TB.

People may not have to worry about losing the top draft pick by coming in last as finding out the present team can be built upon is better.

The bad news: The Yorks. They will be here forever. Briston will be given the team when he is 21. AAARRRRRGGGGHHHHH
Thanks Marvin, Ward and Tartt may be the future. I know it's too soon to talk about the future and Gabbert in the same sentence but he has the tools.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Marvin, what this did prove is that it isn't ALL the OL. Even with a shiddy OL, QB CAN get the ball out. I was sure of that watching kap. He just flat out cannot get the damn ball out. Blaine did. And that pretty much ends the story. What do we have in blaine...aside from being miles better than kap? Well, that is a good question, and the answer will come out over the next 7 weeks. I just hoped he could be our bridge QB so we could first fix OL(3), OLB passrusher, DT, and CB....all starters. That is 6 guys we just have to have and need two #1 picks for, plus nailing 2 OLs(pounce, mack) and a OG in FA, all starters. If we could push the franchise qB back to 2017, fix the OL first, that would be a huge benefit. But no more hoorahs for blaine based on one game. He was huge improvement over kap...but this was just one game against inferior D. To judge Gab we need a body of work, maybe 7 games, some of which we lose based on lesser talent. But our QB situation is not lost. There is hope, but it still is early to know.

Finally, please tell me the 2nd hand quote of JT was in error: " I don't know who we will start in our next game. " Please tell me he did not say that, because if he did, it was incredibly stupid.

Marv, great as always.

Doc, I agree with you on Gabert as a bridge QB if he continues to show well. I'd rather spend the money we save on Kap on at least one good FA o-lineman and OLB if one is available next season.
I'm not sold on any of the QB's coming out this season and really wish we could wait until 2018 and draft the freshman QB that is playing at Washington.
I haven't paid enough attention to the QB's who might be coming out in 2017.
If Gabert turns out to be the franchise QB (big if) then we could have filled many holes by then, if Balke doesn't screw it up by being to cute with some of his picks.
As a long term fan I always take the long term view for the team.
  • TyCore
  • Veteran
Smith dropped a couple gimmes, but Simpson was an absolute choker. Not sure what he's going to do if he can't catch those gift wrapped passes.

Draughn was ok, although I noticed the run blocking collapsed on him many times, leading to him running into a wall of Falcons. He goes down kind of easy, but still has enough athleticism to contribute to a pro team.

Gabbert was good enough, when a lot of people thought he wouldn't be. Unless our Oline gets some solidarity (and some guys hit the bench) I still feel like he'll be toast against a good pass rush. Our Oline turns a good pass rush into a near unstoppable pass rush, so there's that.

Loved seeing Tartt out there! Big hits and good eye for the ball. He's a keeper and going to do big things for the 49ers.

Cromartie put himself in the action time and again. A player possessed, we need this.

Celek can make hands catches on the run in tight coverage. 'nuff said. He's what we needed at that position.

Overall, I think we had a good combination of new players wanting to prove themselves, and starters seeing new opportunities with fresh faces on the field.
What happened to Eric Reid?
Anyone who thinks Tomsula makes the decision on who starts at QB is fooling themselves.
  • Stud
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Couple things...

1) Gabbert was able to get the ball out against a nearly historically bad pass rush. Kap threw for over 300 yards against the Ravens. Did he do that against everyone? Obviously not.

Lets see how Gabbert handles Seattle.

2) I think Gabbert will start but Tomsula isn't going to come out and say that until he's talked to both men. Tomsula not telling the press or fans what is going to happen doesn't mean he hasn't already made the decision. It just means he's choosing not to tell us.

Well it can't be any worse than what Kap has shown. Kap is 1-6 against Seattle and has produced 13 total points in the last 3 games against them.

Plus the Ravens Defense is ranked lower than the Falcons. Also this is Gabberts first start in 2 years. Don't compare him to a guy that's been starting every game for us in the last 4 years. Gabbert was rusty and still looked better in the pocket than Kap
  • JayT
  • Veteran
Thought Ellington did a good job getting decent field position and no turnovers from special teams. He seems to be gaining confidence in the return game.
Originally posted by JayT:
Thought Ellington did a good job getting decent field position and no turnovers from special teams. He seems to be gaining confidence in the return game.

Our special teams defense was horrid.

Originally posted by Buchy:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Marvin, what this did prove is that it isn't ALL the OL. Even with a shiddy OL, QB CAN get the ball out. I was sure of that watching kap. He just flat out cannot get the damn ball out. Blaine did. And that pretty much ends the story. What do we have in blaine...aside from being miles better than kap? Well, that is a good question, and the answer will come out over the next 7 weeks. I just hoped he could be our bridge QB so we could first fix OL(3), OLB passrusher, DT, and CB....all starters. That is 6 guys we just have to have and need two #1 picks for, plus nailing 2 OLs(pounce, mack) and a OG in FA, all starters. If we could push the franchise qB back to 2017, fix the OL first, that would be a huge benefit. But no more hoorahs for blaine based on one game. He was huge improvement over kap...but this was just one game against inferior D. To judge Gab we need a body of work, maybe 7 games, some of which we lose based on lesser talent. But our QB situation is not lost. There is hope, but it still is early to know.

Finally, please tell me the 2nd hand quote of JT was in error: " I don't know who we will start in our next game. " Please tell me he did not say that, because if he did, it was incredibly stupid.

Couple things...

1) Gabbert was able to get the ball out against a nearly historically bad pass rush. Kap threw for over 300 yards against the Ravens. Did he do that against everyone? Obviously not.

Lets see how Gabbert handles Seattle.

2) I think Gabbert will start but Tomsula isn't going to come out and say that until he's talked to both men. Tomsula not telling the press or fans what is going to happen doesn't mean he hasn't already made the decision. It just means he's choosing not to tell us.

Just to chip in here on the line, I'd like to see the snap count but I am concious that we finally had Devey on the bench more with Tiller in and Brown even got some snaps as well. Someone posted that Pears also played some snaps at guard when Brown was in, presumably so it was't 2 rookies on the right side together.

It's a good sign if true, but why wait until you bench Kap before making changes to the line and removing the worst player?!

Glad I wasn't the only person pondering this. The o line needed to be mixed up after week 3.
Agreed with most of what you said,as always. However, did I read it right? You gave Gabbert a "D"? Pretty harsh assessment for a decent debut and a much better performance than most would have believed he was capable of. So far, it seems the preseason wasn't an aberration after all. Considering he got a win, coming off the bench, without our entire stable of running backs, a below average O-line (an that's being kind), receivers who couldn't catch, and DB's thrown into starting roles for the first time, I think he's got to be cut a break and given at the very least, a C plus or B minus. C'mon Marvin, have a heart!
And no matter w
Originally posted by bzborow1:
What happened to Eric Reid?

This is puzzling. He looks good then bad. Not consistent at all this year. He might actually needed to do what Davis did and clear his head of the cobwebs for a year.
Originally posted by 4evrfan:
Agreed with most of what you said,as always. However, did I read it right? You gave Gabbert a "D"? Pretty harsh assessment for a decent debut and a much better performance than most would have believed he was capable of. So far, it seems the preseason wasn't an aberration after all. Considering he got a win, coming off the bench, without our entire stable of running backs, a below average O-line (an that's being kind), receivers who couldn't catch, and DB's thrown into starting roles for the first time, I think he's got to be cut a break and given at the very least, a C plus or B minus. C'mon Marvin, have a heart!

I think it was supposed to be a smiley face
Originally posted by wolfpack2192:
Anyone who thinks Tomsula makes the decision on who starts at QB is fooling themselves.

Ok I'll bite. In your world it presumably is Trent Baalke, Jed York, Denise York or God.
Share 49ersWebzone