LOL!!!!
Originally posted by TheXFactor:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Baalke's strengths are this:

- Scouting defensive talent
- Acquiring picks
- Usually getting good value in FA.

Weaknesses:

- Gambler, which sometimes results in a big hit, but more often big misses.
- Takes almost no "safe" picks or "value" picks, which in turn can hurt the team substantially, especially if the FA moves don't pan out.
- Scouting offensive talent

that's spot on

Point blank, his biggest failure right now has been an inability to accomplish a wider spread of value across positions. One Pro Bowler surrounded by crap doesn't help you much. If you have five players to pick, getting three above average players and two backups is better than one star and four complete busts. If anything happens to that star, you're effing screwed.
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
The conclusions about baalke seem like the exact opposite of reality.

You say hes a gambler. Actual problem is that he doesnt gamble, he doesnt know when to trade up.

The main issue imo is that he doesnt asses team needs based on performance but on salary and compemsation. Hes doesnt have a vision based for what positions we might get extra benefit from performance.

For example in 2013 investing in a stud dl might have had a multiplier effect on our more longevity for j smith less. Ol a ttention for a smith more options to blitz bow willi.

Baalke doesnt reallu think like that. He thinks hey if i invest a sixth rounder and 18 months training i can have a solid backup for peanuts for the mext three years.

Its imppryant but theres more to the story.

I think it's a reverse way of gambling in that case. In that scenario, he's gambling that he is going to still be able to get a player he wants, and a player of great value to him.
Originally posted by boast:
does he get any credit for signing Kap to a team friendly contract and how it may save the team? does Newsome get dinged for something like signing Flacco to a team destroying contract?

If he gets credit for that he should get dinged for not having a successor/plan b.
[ Edited by TheWooLick on Nov 5, 2015 at 8:36 AM ]
Baalke has been good and finding diamond's in the ruff in later rounds but as a GM you need to hit on the top 3 round picks. You can't build a team with 5th and 6th round picks. How do we not have a single playmaker on O? He hasn't drafted one...unless you call Kaep that and Kaep right now is benched.
Originally posted by MasterBlaster:
This is simple:
How many of these top GMs has a last place team, a last place defense, a last place offense, a team without one Pro Bowl performer, a minus 98 net point differential?

Well, by my calculations, Baalke is #1 in all those categories. Give the man an extension.

Thank You Very much Mic Drop!!

End Of Thread, Baalke is the problem and not the solution.
All I can say OTC is thank you.
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
This is simple:
How many of these top GMs has a last place team, a last place defense, a last place offense, a team without one Pro Bowl performer, a minus 98 net point differential?

Well, by my calculations, Baalke is #1 in all those categories. Give the man an extension.

Yea, because making determinations on half of a rebuild year is a sound strategy. Just like the book is already written on the 2014, because guys never take longer than a year and a half to develop. Might as well have Paag Fire up his CPU and spit out a GM name....because he and Jed have been so successful in doing this when it comes to other important positions such as HC. Just remember as bad as you think Trent is, it can always get much worse.

I think OTC's analysis is right on. Trent is a mixed bag. However, he is not as Bad as his heavy detractors make him out to be. I want him to stay because he's the only football guy in the building and if you fire him I have no confidence in Jed and Paag hiring another football guy to act as GM.
Originally posted by Niners816:
This is simple:

Yea, because making determinations on half of a rebuild year is a sound strategy. Just like the book is already written on the 2014, because guys never take longer than a year and a half to develop. Might as well have Paag Fire up his CPU and spit out a GM name....because he and Jed have been so successful in doing this when it comes to other important positions such as HC. Just remember as bad as you think Trent is, it can always get much worse.

I think OTC's analysis is right on. Trent is a mixed bag. However, he is not as Bad as his heavy detractors make him out to be. I want him to stay because he's the only football guy in the building and if you fire him I have no confidence in Jed and Paag hiring another football guy to act as GM.

The problem is that the combination of GM, CEO and President is not working, the team is a dysfunctinal mess.
This is simple:

we only have had these low stats for 8 games..if we continue this for years then i would think you guys are overreacting right now
[ Edited by 49AllTheTime on Nov 5, 2015 at 8:41 AM ]

Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Baalke's risky picks that happen to hit got him short term benefits, but the high risk picks where he banked WAY too much on upside, and took the risk in poor areas of the draft, wound up being major mistakes that really hurt us.

It's hard for me to say "Baalke sucks" because I don't see that as being the case. I think he just has a flawed methodology that leaves a lot to be desired. That flawed methodology sometimes turns out well (example: 2010 draft), but other times cripples the team (2012 draft -- see us three years later). He could be SO much better if he just tweaked the way he operates in some areas.

Baalke is an incredibly frustrating figure. Can he be upgraded over? Yes. But you'll need to be reaaaallly careful in searching for his replacement.
That is partially my worry. It's like having an average QB. Can you upgrade, yes, but you can also downgrade and really shoot yourself in th foot. Although, I do believe a replacement is in order, but with York choosing that individual it could be bad.
This is simple:

As much as anyone hates to say it though, there are "Baalkexcuses" he could try to make to stick around. Including the following:

- Not my fault that Anthony Davis decided he was too hurt and quit
- Not my fault that Borland suffered a concussion and decided to quit
- Not my fault that Willis retired too
- Not my fault that Aldon turned out opposite of his background check, which reportedly said he was a high character, low risk guy.
- Not my fault that Kilgore didn't heal well from the broken leg he sustained
- Not my fault that Jed picked Tomsula over Gase

Despite everything, the big picture is still overall a mixed bag. So considering all of the above, I don't think it's so easy to say "Baalke absolutely needs to go." He could very well help turn the team around. He was part of the process when we did it the first time. We just need a better coach.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Nov 5, 2015 at 8:44 AM ]
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
we only have had these low stats for 8 games..if we continue this for years then i would think you guys are overreacting right now

Whatd do you mean 8 games?? Baalke's 2013 Draft has produced NADA nothing. His 2014 Draft just Hyde only ad Lynch is hot and cold but not a pro bowl caliber player and was a 5th rounder for a reason. Baalke's 2015 Draft still early but not very promising. Eli Harold looks so bony and frail out there and AA is kinda clumsy and Tarrt cannot cover. Tarrt can hit but cannot cover and where are the offensive fire power from Baalke's Drafts???????????????????????????????????
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
The problem is that the combination of GM, CEO and President is not working, the team is a dysfunctinal mess.

I seriously think it's more on Jed and Paag. As many have said, we are in serious need of real football guys in the building. If you had a real football pro as a consultant there is no way last off season plays out as it did with the removal of Harbs. IMO, the Harbs situation is all on Jed, Trent just had to do the dirty work.
I agree Baalke isn't a top tier or even a middle tier GM but unfortunately he is not the biggest problem with the organization. If he's fired there aren't any "football" people left in the management structure. The head of this snake needs to be cut off, I don't see the York's firing themselves so a new President/CEO "football" person needs to lead this group of trust fund inbreeds. If the objective is making money they win, if the objective is have a quality team and continue the Niner legacy, a major change at the top is required.
Share 49ersWebzone