There are 194 users in the forums

ANALYSIS: Trent Baalke vs. NFL's Other Top GMs in the Draft

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Originally posted by midrdan:
It's not with blinders on, man. Baalke gets 100% credit on the WZ for the 2010 draft. All I am saying is that there is no basis for this. I don't blame Baalke for Mays. But I don't give him all the credit for Iupati, A. Davis, and Bowman either. 2010 was a weird year where our draft picks (at least one of them) was acquired by Scott, who then set the draft board and was fired. Baalke handled the draft, but at least one player - a 2nd rounder no less - was apparently chosen by the head coach. My suggestion is that if you remove that draft from Baalke's resume, his percentages of "hits" (however defined) goes down dramatically. I am not counting 2015 - it is way too soon. So Baalke's sample size is 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014. Use those four years as the basis of his evaluation and tell me how does he compare to other GMs in that time frame?

I think Scott was a very good talent evaluator.

It does not even matter that Scot set the board, because that was a few weeks before the draft. There was plenty of time to tweak and if it was not tweaked how do we know or not know if Trent went away from the board at times and went with the player he held in higher regard ? How exactly do you take away 2010 though ? Was Trent or was he not the acting GM ? It does not matter that Scot acquired the 2nd first rounder, what matters is who made the selections and how those selections turned out. It was not Scot who traded up to assure they landed Anthony Davis, not was it Scot who made the call to draft Iupati.

Then Baalke has to take discredit for Taylor Mays.
Originally posted by shmuck:
Originally posted by Blindfury:
It's misleading though because all you need is to hit homeruns on 1 or 2 players and Baalke has not. Look at Oakland. McKenzie hit a homerun on Carr. Nothing else matters now. The metrics used are flawed. Hit homeruns on the right picks in the higher rounds (RB, recevier, QB). Who cares about a LB in the 4th round?

This is only through the draft. If we look at free agency and trades, Baalke has to be near the bottom. I didn't even talk about finding the right coaching staff but I guess that's a Jed thing. Sad.

Whhhaaatt??? Baalke has been one of the best in FA and trades. Outside of this year he constantly has brought in underpreforming veterans for cheap and gotten them to play at a very high level. And some of his draft day trades were absolutely ridiculous, think the Carlos Hyde trades.

and Stevie Johnson for a second round pick that got almost nothing for the team.
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
Originally posted by shmuck:
Originally posted by Blindfury:
It's misleading though because all you need is to hit homeruns on 1 or 2 players and Baalke has not. Look at Oakland. McKenzie hit a homerun on Carr. Nothing else matters now. The metrics used are flawed. Hit homeruns on the right picks in the higher rounds (RB, recevier, QB). Who cares about a LB in the 4th round?

This is only through the draft. If we look at free agency and trades, Baalke has to be near the bottom. I didn't even talk about finding the right coaching staff but I guess that's a Jed thing. Sad.

Whhhaaatt??? Baalke has been one of the best in FA and trades. Outside of this year he constantly has brought in underpreforming veterans for cheap and gotten them to play at a very high level. And some of his draft day trades were absolutely ridiculous, think the Carlos Hyde trades.

and Stevie Johnson for a second round pick that got almost nothing for the team.

Was a fourth rounder actually.
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Originally posted by midrdan:
It's not with blinders on, man. Baalke gets 100% credit on the WZ for the 2010 draft. All I am saying is that there is no basis for this. I don't blame Baalke for Mays. But I don't give him all the credit for Iupati, A. Davis, and Bowman either. 2010 was a weird year where our draft picks (at least one of them) was acquired by Scott, who then set the draft board and was fired. Baalke handled the draft, but at least one player - a 2nd rounder no less - was apparently chosen by the head coach. My suggestion is that if you remove that draft from Baalke's resume, his percentages of "hits" (however defined) goes down dramatically. I am not counting 2015 - it is way too soon. So Baalke's sample size is 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014. Use those four years as the basis of his evaluation and tell me how does he compare to other GMs in that time frame?

I think Scott was a very good talent evaluator.

It does not even matter that Scot set the board, because that was a few weeks before the draft. There was plenty of time to tweak and if it was not tweaked how do we know or not know if Trent went away from the board at times and went with the player he held in higher regard ? How exactly do you take away 2010 though ? Was Trent or was he not the acting GM ? It does not matter that Scot acquired the 2nd first rounder, what matters is who made the selections and how those selections turned out. It was not Scot who traded up to assure they landed Anthony Davis, not was it Scot who made the call to draft Iupati.

Then Baalke has to take discredit for Taylor Mays.

That 2010 draft was loaded. Over half of the 1st round pick became pro bowlers
Share 49ersWebzone