LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 252 users in the forums

Time for a reality check

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Boagrius49:
Maybe I'm giving WZ too much credit. I'm just saying, Tomsula doesn't have the pedigree or background to make fans think he can get it done. That's the major difference IMO between him and Harbaugh/Walsh.

Tomsula also doesn't have the football knowledge, the intelligence, the integrity, the toughness or any other trait that made Harbaugh/Walsh successful NFL Head Coaches.

Reallity check: With this sorry excuse of a NFL coaching staff, you could plug the best players from the Patriots, Broncos and Bengals into the Niners Roster and the record wouldn't look any better.
[ Edited by rebel4life on Nov 6, 2015 at 12:17 PM ]
  • kem99
  • Veteran
1. You've made my point for me...the 49ers did plan for Smith's retirement...except those replacements have not lived up to expectation. The issue then is not Smith's retirement, it's the personnel the 49ers chose to replace him with.

2. Again, the 49ers knew they would not be retaining Culiver and Cox and planned for that. I don't have a problem generally with the young corners given that there has been no pass rush other than from Lynch. The point of the comment, thought, was you can't blame the drop off on the loss of Culiver and Cox when the 49ers knew it was unlikely to be able to replace them and planned to replace them with younger, cheaper players.

3. Again, the point was losing Crabtree is not a major contributor to this year's troubles.

4. Actually, the need for quality back-ups was not a low priority. Baalke had made clear he envisioned a 3-headed running attack. Hyde as the early down back, Bush as the 3rd down/passing situation back and one other back, which presumably would have been Hunter or Davis. The point is, however, while you couldn't count on injuries, none of the back-up contributed anything while healthy, which again is a personnel issue.

5. If Davis went down with an injury in OTA's after the draft (as Crabtree did the year before), it's the same situation as Davis retiring after the draft. You have a hole at RT that the 49ers were unprepared to fill. That would have been one thing, but it was made worse by the fact that they also have not shown to have the personnel to take over at C or RG. You can mask a deficiency at one OL spot to some extent, not three, especially when all 3 are ranked at or near the bottom of their respective positions.

6. You're dodging the issue...Regardless of the reason, Harbaugh's worst year remains the best since the York's hired their first HC with the exception of Harbaugh's 3 prior years. And, why pull the plug because of an 8-8 year? Sure, it's disappointing, but it's not like it was...well, like this year or any of the seasons under Erickson, Nolan and Singletary. The Steelers have had 3 ehad coaches over the last 30-40 years. In some of those years, they didn't make the playoffs and/or were 8-8 or worse. You are correct that a decision needed to be made with Harbaugh only having 1 year left on his contract. The decision should have been to keep him and deal with everything else internally. It couldn't have turned out worse on and off the field than it has with the route York chose.

7. No, I don't think Gruden or Dungy suck. Every year we hear about teams inquiring about whether either one would come back and they choose not to return to coaching. That isn't true for Chryst. He was an OC for the Chargers in 1998 and 1999 and did such a great job, no one offered him an OC position in the NFL until last year...and that was only after Tomsula was unable to find anyone else who was willing to take the job. Was it simplified for Kap or because of the OC? I don't know. Kap played better under Harbaugh/Roman's more complicated system. I don't mind simplifying the offense but it can't go to the point where the opponent can easily figure out what is coming.

8. Bottom line...everyone would rather have Fangio and his defensive staff here than what there is now.
Joecool, this Center you are talking about...let's see. We are 2-5 so we have played 7 games. Unnhhh....Center? Nope haven't seen him yet. So if almost half way thru the season and we haven't seen him yet...that means to me, we need Mack or Pouncey at C when this yr is done and they both hit the market. If our C is still MIA, then we don't have a C. We may have a backup when he gets back...assuming that happens. Meanwhile we buy Mack or Pouncey.

I'm not ignoring the other missing pieces, but C needs to be on that list. Incidentally, not worrying about getting an OG? Well I do. Getting potential and "coaching him up'? Hasn't worked here. So we need a starting OG also, in addition to our OT.
Share 49ersWebzone