LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 261 users in the forums

Time for a reality check

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by boast:
Originally posted by Boagrius49:
reality check...

Bill Walsh was 2-14 in first year. most of you guys would be calling for his firing had the WZ existed back then.

Sure, some people might. But, what if Harbaugh went 2-14 in his first year? I think most rational people would give him the benefit of the doubt. You know why? He's done it before. Walsh also won at Stanford. Tomsula hasn't won/done anything to give us hope, IMO.

the WZ would give someone the benefit of the doubt?????? lol. are you new here?

exactly, only 20% of the Zone is actually rational.
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by TheXFactor:
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Phoenix in a previous thread, made the point that the only way we get untracked is to get a football wise man (Pioli, Casserly, Gruden, you know the list) to help us hire a VP of all football operations, who would then hire a GM ( might even be trent, but i doubt it), who then hires the HC and all other coaches....he would oversee all things relating to football. The more i see our team dissemble...completely come apart...with no end is sight....the more i like his idea. We are co cocked up at present that it is going to take one of the best minds in football to get us out of this mess. And the guy HAS to be brilliant in all things football.

Anything short of that and we are just going to see this yr replayed over and over again....right up until we do the right thing.

I'm sorry I just don't think it's that simple.

Look at Homlgren and the Browns

or even when Josh McDaniels was coaching DEN

x is a fine poster but i really really side with doc on this

Thanks man, don't get me wrong I love Tomsula, but I just think he should have stayed Dline coach.

Most of the hires I was excited about: Sparano, Henry, Forester, Tarver, Lewis.

But Geep and Mangini are at crucial positions as coordinators. And I don't like either.

I understand Kap was the reason Geep was made OC, but I just can't see it being super successful down the line.
Originally posted by pdizo916:
Originally posted by FlayvaMeister:
Reality is one thing ... effort, preparation, execution and experience, are another. That stated, there is no denying most of what you posted.

This. I can handle being 2-6, but when 5 of our games result in us getting blown out, it's inexcusable. Jed better fix this. Hell, even in 2005, the team was only 4-12 BUT at least they were competitive in SOME of the games.

But a good reality check is that we will have a s**tload of cap money to spend on impact players, we will have high draft picks, and we will have a new coach for 2016. But the sad reality could be that the 49ers won't spend the cap money, (or players wouldn't want to come here) Baalke adds to his all ACL team with our high draft choices, and we're stuck with Tomsula and his INCREDIBLE incompetent coaching staff.

What Baalke does this off-season with all this money will make or break him as an NFL GM.
Poor Baalke, the 2012 draft wasn't his fault either, lets just give him another 5 years.
Originally posted by vermonator:
Poor Baalke, the 2012 draft wasn't his fault either, lets just give him another 5 years.

Its not his fault his all-acl team is garbage as well
This thread is a direct result of all these "fans" wanting to boycott the season.

Reality check

Losses:
1) Justin Smith- we all knew would be hanging it up soon. Can't replace the best 3-4 DE in the NFL. (before Watt)
2) Aldon Smith- absolute steal in the draft, he ruined his own career. Baalke had to cut him.
3) Chris Culliver- not worth 9 mill a year. Situation almost exactly like Goldson.
4) Cox- sucks we lost him, but he got 5 mill a year, not sure if he's worth that either.
5) A.Davis- huge loss, great RT, not Baalke's fault
6) Boreland- see A.Davis
7) Crabtree - everyone wanted him gone anyway. Never lived up to his potential.
8) Iupati- got way overpaid, and still not a great pass protector.
9) Gore - heartbreak,but he wanted to play for a contender
10) Willis - another huge loss, in talent and leadership, not Baalke's fault
11) RayMac - solid starter, knucklehead. out of Baalke's control
12) Dan Skuta- solid tackler, spot starter. Left for 4 mill per @ Jax

Now add losing Bethea for the season, Boldin being hurt, Hyde getting hurt, Kilgore getting hurt, Bush on IR, and Bowman being slow to return to form.

Tell me this, how the f*ck can any team come back from all that and be good in 1 year? We were always f*cked for 2015.

Harbaugh was an a$$hole, and in 2014 the offense was a joke, he had no answers. Putting up with him when we were winning is one thing, but 2014 was a major step backwards.

Most of you fans have your expectations way too high. Let this be a reality check.

He didn't have to get rid of all those players, over 90% of the players are his, the team is a sum of his work.
If 2014 was a major atep back, what is 2015?
reality check...

Bill Walsh was 2-14 in first year. most of you guys would be calling for his firing had the WZ existed back then.

The team was 2-14 the year before Walsh took over.
[ Edited by TheWooLick on Nov 4, 2015 at 12:28 PM ]
Originally posted by vermonator:

Agreed after all he brought in that decent vet Pears when he had the money for that bum Mathis. Let's keep him on board for at least another 7-10 years. LOL. Harbaugh bashing but Baalke loving. I'll never understand it, I tell ya.
  • MikeD
  • Veteran
definitely a different team that tomsula was suppose to coach
Jed York was wrong, he didn't hire his Steve Kerr, he actually hired his Bill Walsh!

Most bad teams can hang their hat on something. Let's look at the current bottom feeders by division
Dolphins-Have good pieces can they get it together.
Ravens-They've been in most games. They've had no luck at all in tight games. They have not been blown out despite the injuries/lack of depth
Chargers-Phillip Rivers and not much else
Titans-rookie qb but have been very competitve in almost every game. Blown out once vs dolphins
Bucs-see titans but winning more games
Lions-Trainwreck on par with current state of 9ers. Though I'd say they're in a worse overall state IMO with the amount of money tied up in Stafford and Megatron. Though they have a much easier problem to fix. It's "only" their o-line.
Cowboys-Every skill position player seems to have been injured for multiple games.
49ers-The reality is your lads are getting beat in so many different ways. And the beating they're taking in those facets of the game is just so catastrophic you can't fix them in one or two off-seasons in the salary cap modern game.

Honestly 1/2 the losses you can pin on an inept defense. Every thread i read seems to be high on Acker and Armstead. Yet Acker is the guy getting burned week in week out. Every time I watch the 9ers recently i need a bucket of ice nearby because at least once a game he's gonna get burned so hard even I'm gonna feel it all the way in Australia. Armstead has been thoroughly mediocre. Yet somehow these two are the best cover and pass rush options. yes they're young, but you have to show something other than being photogenic on the receiving end of highlight reel plays on espn. Your vet safeties are not helping your young corners by taking repeatedly what seem to be poor angles and decisions.

Offensively plenty has been said in other threads.
[ Edited by casualobserver on Nov 4, 2015 at 12:35 PM ]
I think we can see what good coaching can do. Coach Harbaugh, with no preseason and the same group he inherited from Singletary was one botched punt return from getting to the Super Bowl. Belichick loses key players every year and still competes at the highest level. A football team is like a military unit, without strong leadership they can't advance. It's obvious the owner and GM can't provide that leadership. Tomsula is an enlisted man and Is in way over his head.
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
reality check...

The team was 2-14 the year before Walsh took over.

The team had consecutive 2-14 years back then - I remember those teams pretty well as I was just old enough and became a fan of the team. The first 2-14 year back then was right before Walsh took over, then Walsh's first year they also went 2-14 I believe. The next year, 6-10, and the year after was the first Super Bowl victory. Those first few years with Walsh, if it was in today's social media time, some of these "fans" and the media would have called for his firing I'm sure. Also, Eddie D. wasn't extremely popular when he first took over the Niners...people didn't know what to make of him. Regardless, my motto with the pro teams I pull for is to always stick with them through thick and thin. Yes, I'm very fortunate to have watched and remembered well each Niners Super Bowl win, each SF Giants WS win, and each Warriors NBA title (I am under 50 so not that old). Yet each of these teams have had their rough stretches (the Giants in the '70s, the Warriors for a long time/Chris Cohan era, etc.). Thick and thin though. Now, let's see what Jed and Baalke do going forward. They do need some more top football minds in the FO and coaching staff, in my opinion.
This thread is a direct result of all these "fans" wanting to boycott the season.

Reality check

Losses:
1) Justin Smith- we all knew would be hanging it up soon. Can't replace the best 3-4 DE in the NFL. (before Watt)
2) Aldon Smith- absolute steal in the draft, he ruined his own career. Baalke had to cut him.
3) Chris Culliver- not worth 9 mill a year. Situation almost exactly like Goldson.
4) Cox- sucks we lost him, but he got 5 mill a year, not sure if he's worth that either.
5) A.Davis- huge loss, great RT, not Baalke's fault
6) Boreland- see A.Davis
7) Crabtree - everyone wanted him gone anyway. Never lived up to his potential.
8) Iupati- got way overpaid, and still not a great pass protector.
9) Gore - heartbreak,but he wanted to play for a contender
10) Willis - another huge loss, in talent and leadership, not Baalke's fault
11) RayMac - solid starter, knucklehead. out of Baalke's control
12) Dan Skuta- solid tackler, spot starter. Left for 4 mill per @ Jax

Now add losing Bethea for the season, Boldin being hurt, Hyde getting hurt, Kilgore getting hurt, Bush on IR, and Bowman being slow to return to form.

Tell me this, how the f*ck can any team come back from all that and be good in 1 year? We were always f*cked for 2015.

Harbaugh was an a$$hole, and in 2014 the offense was a joke, he had no answers. Putting up with him when we were winning is one thing, but 2014 was a major step backwards.

Most of you fans have your expectations way too high. Let this be a reality check.

Good, accurate post, XFactor. Always good to see something like this in NT that has some thought behind it and shows good football/team knowledge.
reality check...

We are so convinced Tomsula will win super bowl in 2 years. Just give time time.
Share 49ersWebzone