LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 444 users in the forums

Week 8 St. Louis rams coaches film analysis

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by thl408:
After the defense forces a Rams 3 & out. This is the next drive.

After a -2 yard run by Gaskins, the 49ers execute a nice middle screen pass that Davis took for 11 yards. Very clean looking screen pass with 2 OL out in front blocking and everything.

Another manageable 3rd down. RB circle route versus Cover1 blitz. Same deal as the play above. Bush's circle route designed to attack the middle of the field, which is open in Cover 1 blitz.

There was an illegal formation penalty on the offense on this play so it would not have counted anyway, but when looking at Kap's execution on this play, it is a fail. Have some anticipation. Lob it to the open area and put the responsibility on Bush to get there. Punt.

Look at his fundamentals. He hits the top of his drop and for some reason, instead of digging his back foot to plant forward, he moves his back foot another step back while his front foot stays. Just odd. It makes him not ready to throw.

Also, these plays may not be as open for Gabbert simply because the defense will not be committing a spy to Gabbert.
[ Edited by Joecool on Nov 3, 2015 at 2:39 PM ]
Originally posted by Joecool:
Look at his fundamentals. He hits the top of his drop and for some reason, instead of digging his back foot to plant forward, he moves his back foot another step back while his front foot stays. Just odd. It makes him not ready to throw.

Also, these plays may not be as open for Gabbert simply because the defense will not be committing a spy to Gabbert.

Gabbert should have some good runs. He has good mobility for a qb.

Kaep is 'seeing' the rush, letting it affect his throw.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Nov 3, 2015 at 2:47 PM ]
  • thl408
The next 49ers drive consisted of some of the most lazy, conservative playcalling I've seen from this staff and that's saying a lot.

1st down: FB Lead (Iso)
2nd down: FB Lead (Iso)

3rd down: HB Dive into the right A gap

Devey and Pears double team the 4tech. Martin blocks the NT. Boone has the tough task of reaching far to block the MLB.

Boone doesn't get there in time. I'm not faulting Boone here, that's not an easy block.

Dumbass playcalling. Gee, our interior OL sucks ass, let's have them try to win battles versus the strength of the Rams.
This is the first drive of the game where the 49ers looked good moving the ball down the field. The 49ers were a putrid 3-17 on 3rd down conversions and I think for the most part, they were manageable distances.

Variation of Levels vs Cover1 blitz.
Cover1 blitz leaves the middle short/intermediate area of the field completely open. Levels looks to attack over the middle of the field. This is a good playcall versus the coverage. Not sure if VD is running a Post or a sloppy Dig, but the progression here should be high to low (red-yellow-orange).

Rams rush 5 and the 49ers do a good job picking up the blitz. Kap needs to see that VD has inside positioning on the LB and that VD's route will break inside where all that open space is. At this moment in time, VD has gone beyond 5 yards, so the LB covering VD can't make any more contact with VD. Patton, runs a short In route that will not go beyond 5 yards.

Kap is seen mid windup targeting....Patton, who has a defender draped all over him. Legal because Patton has not gone beyond 5 yards past the LoS.

Versus man coverage, it's all about reading leverage. VD running an inward breaking route versus a defender playing with outside leverage is a win for VD.

Incomplete. Bring on Dawson.

Its the same play from the playoff game against NO several years that set up the catch 3
How close was the play calling here to the safety we had earlier in the year THL?
On this series, I was wondering if Geep was just trying to get more room for a punt and get out of dodge, by calling 3 straight runs.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Nov 3, 2015 at 2:54 PM ]
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Here's a basic concept that we've covered many times here, it's a staple around the league, "slant/flat" concept. He doesn't even try and make the key read.

The Rams give a cover 3 zone look. We have a slant/flat concept called with Torrey Smith and VD. You read the key defender, if he goes out on the flat, you throw the slant, if he stays in on the slant, you throw the flat - that simple.

The key defender drives out on VD, the throw should be to the slant. However, CK's already starting his throwing motion, he decided before the snap that he was throwing it to VD.

You see how the key defenders action should determine the throw. There's an open hole where TS could turn it upfield and split the defense for a first down.

Instead, the throw is to VD who now has 2 defenders closing in on him with no where to run.

Torrey Smith wasn't happy about the pass - neither should he be.

This is not the first time in recent weeks I've seen CK fail to make the read on this play. This is an old passing concept that's used everywhere in the NFL and in most college offenses and even high school offenses. I have no idea why he's struggling with plays like this. There's no excuse.

Now, understand that he's not doing this on every single play, sometimes guys just aren't open, but, when the plays are there and the reads are simple - there's no excuse at all.

No apologies for kap here johnny but could the immediate hot to vernon just be because he feels like he has to call a 2 step play or else get clobbered?
  • thl408
Much of Tartt's college highlights that I've seen have him close to he LoS, or attacking downhill to make plays near the LoS. How he handles himself in open space will determine if he can function as an all around safety, or one typecasted as "box safety".

Cover 2 Zone

Playaction sucks in the underneath zone defenders as the two routes release upfield. Both safeties are in a backpeddle.

As the two routes look to eat up the cushion, both the safeties are working with a 10 yard cushion. Reid continues his backpeddle. Reid is playing this correctly. Tartt has flipped his hips towards the middle of the field. This would give Tartt an advantage if the WR was running a Post route, but he's not. At this point, there is no need to commit to one side and flip the hips in any certain direction when still having a 10 yard cushion.

The WR breaks to the outside and Tartt has his legs crossed over, a big no no for a defensive back. Tartt will get turned around when he reacts to the WR breaking outwards.

Tartt then flashes what he's good at. Forceful tackling.

The first of what should be many forced fumbles. Eli Harold recovers the fumble.
  • thl408
AA and Brooks will run a T-E stunt. Tackle (AA) attacks first, then the End (Brooks). Bow is blitzing to the other side of the formation.
Cover 1 blitz

After the stunt, AA is seen getting good penetration and applies the pressure.

Brooks sells the outside rush to get the RT to turn to the outside. AA then attacks the RT's inside shoulder with a nice shove, and this makes the RT completely off balance and unable to recover to block AA.

Incomplete. Punt.
AA and Brooks will run a T-E stunt. Tackle (AA) attacks first, then the End (Brooks). Bow is blitzing to the other side of the formation.
Cover 1 blitz

After the stunt, AA is seen getting good penetration and applies the pressure.

Brooks sells the outside rush to get the RT to turn to the outside. AA then attacks the RT's inside shoulder with a nice shove, and this makes the RT completely off balance and unable to recover to block AA.

Incomplete. Punt.

Looks like its actually Lynch not Brooks but either way good pressure. Curious on yours guys thoughts on how AA did this past game with the stunts, I know in previous weeks you or jonny had mentioned that he had not been doing a very good job.

This thread tells you all you need to know about Kap atm. I'm glad he'll be on the bench regardless of Gabbert's results.
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Here's a basic concept that we've covered many times here, it's a staple around the league, "slant/flat" concept. He doesn't even try and make the key read.

The Rams give a cover 3 zone look. We have a slant/flat concept called with Torrey Smith and VD. You read the key defender, if he goes out on the flat, you throw the slant, if he stays in on the slant, you throw the flat - that simple.

The key defender drives out on VD, the throw should be to the slant. However, CK's already starting his throwing motion, he decided before the snap that he was throwing it to VD.

You see how the key defenders action should determine the throw. There's an open hole where TS could turn it upfield and split the defense for a first down.

Instead, the throw is to VD who now has 2 defenders closing in on him with no where to run.

Torrey Smith wasn't happy about the pass - neither should he be.

This is not the first time in recent weeks I've seen CK fail to make the read on this play. This is an old passing concept that's used everywhere in the NFL and in most college offenses and even high school offenses. I have no idea why he's struggling with plays like this. There's no excuse.

Now, understand that he's not doing this on every single play, sometimes guys just aren't open, but, when the plays are there and the reads are simple - there's no excuse at all.

No apologies for kap here johnny but could the immediate hot to vernon just be because he feels like he has to call a 2 step play or else get clobbered?
I guess it's possible, but the slant/flat I'd a 3 step drop already.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Overall, I think our defense played well. Prior to Gurley's long TD on the Tank slip and Reid halfass tackle, we were handling Gurley, which no other team was able to do.

I'm liking the direction our defense is heading.

The Rams' offense is nearly as bad as the Niners' offense. Don't be fooled.
  • blop
  • Veteran
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:

This is what I was thinking too. It looked to me like he was just trying to avoid a safety. Given just how fast pressure comes, I was just assuming he was taking the very first thing he possibly could-- the first breaking route. Anything is better than a safety, and any yards are better than no yards.

I haven't re-watched the game, but my recollection is that we were backed up near our own end zone multiple times due to special teams blunders and penalties, and my general impression was that we were basically playing to avoid safeties every time we got backed up. And given how bad the line is, I can empathize with that mindset.

I could also easily imagine that Kap may be starting to just get mentally/physically tired, and in situations where he knows the rush is really coming-- more so then every other snap-- it wouldn't be too surprising if he relied mostly on a pre-snap read just because... f**k it.
Its the same play from the playoff game against NO several years that set up the catch 3
Wow Vernon had a step or 2 and could have took it the distnce. That is a perfect example of why Kap has to leave. NOW!!! I'm glad theyre pretty much done with him. How does a QB consistently always miss these plays to be HAD!!! He had time to read/make the throw. God dam Kap cannot read a defense at all.

[ Edited by ElephantHaley on Nov 3, 2015 at 9:41 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone