LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 274 users in the forums

Week 8 St. Louis rams coaches film analysis

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Overall, I think our defense played well. Prior to Gurley's long TD on the Tank slip and Reid halfass tackle, we were handling Gurley, which no other team was able to do.

I'm liking the direction our defense is heading.
Originally posted by Niners816:
Originally posted by jonnydel:
how bout the Rams new defense where they have 8 in the box yet still have 2 safeties to potentially go 9 in. Pretty bold strategy if you ask me, especially against 21 personnel
I noticed that. They seemed to put so much confidence in their D-line against our O-line that they ran a big Nickel with a single high safety most of the game. They were daring us to throw it in the intermediate area of the sidelines. They were going to have a safety in place to take away throws over the top with the corners pressed and the big nickel matched up speed against our multiple TE sets to take away slide concepts.

This is getting a little cocky though Seriously though, I still can't wrap my mind around this play. I get that it's a run and all but you just have to look and see if everyone is at least covered.
it was a total blown coverage by St Louis. They called a corner blitz, but it was the other corner lol. The Rams players, after the play, you could see them gesturing and talking about how they left him open.
how bout the Rams new defense where they have 8 in the box yet still have 2 safeties to potentially go 9 in. Pretty bold strategy if you ask me, especially against 21 personnel
I noticed that. They seemed to put so much confidence in their D-line against our O-line that they ran a big Nickel with a single high safety most of the game. They were daring us to throw it in the intermediate area of the sidelines. They were going to have a safety in place to take away throws over the top with the corners pressed and the big nickel matched up speed against our multiple TE sets to take away slide concepts.

This is getting a little cocky though Seriously though, I still can't wrap my mind around this play. I get that it's a run and all but you just have to look and see if everyone is at least covered.
it was a total blown coverage by St Louis. They called a corner blitz, but it was the other corner lol. The Rams players, after the play, you could see them gesturing and talking about how they left him open.
Even the DE is crashing hard a yard before the ball was even handed off. Bootleg may have gotten a 95 yard TD by Kap.

anyone that thinks that Krap shouldn't get benched really needs to see this, if they haven't already.

what possible excuse can you Krap backers have for crap like this?
Originally posted by Daniel2727:

anyone that thinks that Krap shouldn't get benched really needs to see this, if they haven't already.

what possible excuse can you Krap backers have for crap like this?

Russell Wilson would have kept the ball, pissed off Marshawn, and thrown it to Torrey or bootlegged for a 20 yard scamper.
He could've at least move his head left and right, act like he's reading the defense to sell a pass play.
Here's a basic concept that we've covered many times here, it's a staple around the league, "slant/flat" concept. He doesn't even try and make the key read.

The Rams give a cover 3 zone look. We have a slant/flat concept called with Torrey Smith and VD. You read the key defender, if he goes out on the flat, you throw the slant, if he stays in on the slant, you throw the flat - that simple.

The key defender drives out on VD, the throw should be to the slant. However, CK's already starting his throwing motion, he decided before the snap that he was throwing it to VD.

You see how the key defenders action should determine the throw. There's an open hole where TS could turn it upfield and split the defense for a first down.

Instead, the throw is to VD who now has 2 defenders closing in on him with no where to run.

Torrey Smith wasn't happy about the pass - neither should he be.

This is not the first time in recent weeks I've seen CK fail to make the read on this play. This is an old passing concept that's used everywhere in the NFL and in most college offenses and even high school offenses. I have no idea why he's struggling with plays like this. There's no excuse.

Now, understand that he's not doing this on every single play, sometimes guys just aren't open, but, when the plays are there and the reads are simple - there's no excuse at all.

Aren't you providing the evidence to support the benching of Kap. It seems pretty obvious that Kap is not a "fall guy" but rather unable to read defenses (I am only basing this on what I see here with the first sets of pics)
Originally posted by pickle:
Here's a basic concept that we've covered many times here, it's a staple around the league, "slant/flat" concept. He doesn't even try and make the key read.

The Rams give a cover 3 zone look. We have a slant/flat concept called with Torrey Smith and VD. You read the key defender, if he goes out on the flat, you throw the slant, if he stays in on the slant, you throw the flat - that simple.

The key defender drives out on VD, the throw should be to the slant. However, CK's already starting his throwing motion, he decided before the snap that he was throwing it to VD.

You see how the key defenders action should determine the throw. There's an open hole where TS could turn it upfield and split the defense for a first down.

Instead, the throw is to VD who now has 2 defenders closing in on him with no where to run.

Torrey Smith wasn't happy about the pass - neither should he be.

This is not the first time in recent weeks I've seen CK fail to make the read on this play. This is an old passing concept that's used everywhere in the NFL and in most college offenses and even high school offenses. I have no idea why he's struggling with plays like this. There's no excuse.

Now, understand that he's not doing this on every single play, sometimes guys just aren't open, but, when the plays are there and the reads are simple - there's no excuse at all.

Aren't you providing the evidence to support the benching of Kap. It seems pretty obvious that Kap is not a "fall guy" but rather unable to read defenses (I am only basing this on what I see here with the first sets of pics)

I try and provide unbiased analysis, it's hard sometimes and I am aware that anything on our passing game can quickly become all consuming and there are people dreeply entrenched one way or another. I simply don't have the time to break down all 44 pass plays, so, I'm trying to show how he's missing some elementary reads, but try and caution that it's not the whole story. There are a lot of m8ving parts and while it may be convenient for narrative or hope for a tram turnaround to lay all the blame at his feet and provide a small sample size proving such a thing, it's just not the case. There were plays where he simply had no place to throw the ball.
  • thl408
This is the first drive of the game where the 49ers looked good moving the ball down the field. The 49ers were a putrid 3-17 on 3rd down conversions and I think for the most part, they were manageable distances.

Variation of Levels vs Cover1 blitz.
Cover1 blitz leaves the middle short/intermediate area of the field completely open. Levels looks to attack over the middle of the field. This is a good playcall versus the coverage. Not sure if VD is running a Post or a sloppy Dig, but the progression here should be high to low (red-yellow-orange).

Rams rush 5 and the 49ers do a good job picking up the blitz. Kap needs to see that VD has inside positioning on the LB and that VD's route will break inside where all that open space is. At this moment in time, VD has gone beyond 5 yards, so the LB covering VD can't make any more contact with VD. Patton, runs a short In route that will not go beyond 5 yards.

Kap is seen mid windup targeting....Patton, who has a defender draped all over him. Legal because Patton has not gone beyond 5 yards past the LoS.

Versus man coverage, it's all about reading leverage. VD running an inward breaking route versus a defender playing with outside leverage is a win for VD.

Incomplete. Bring on Dawson.
This is the one I thought should go to VD when I first saw it.

You have pretty much the whole left half of the field empty, he should be looking to throw that way, knowing a receiver is running a route towards that area. It's almost common sense.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Nov 3, 2015 at 2:23 PM ]

Also, VD has a step on the Safety while he breaks to the left. With Simpson's DB draped all over him, throwing VD open with a throw to the left numbers would have been money.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:

It's like he just has predetermined where he's gong regardless of what's happening. It's like VD is right in front of him and has a step already just anticipate the throw
  • thl408
After the defense forces a Rams 3 & out. This is the next drive.

After a -2 yard run by Gaskins, the 49ers execute a nice middle screen pass that Davis took for 11 yards. Very clean looking screen pass with 2 OL out in front blocking and everything.

Another manageable 3rd down. RB circle route versus Cover1 blitz. Same deal as the play above. Bush's circle route designed to attack the middle of the field, which is open in Cover 1 blitz.

At this point, it should be clear to Kap that the middle of the field (underneath level) is wide open. Does Kap understand that there is a route about to go to the middle of the field? If so, he needs to start his throwing motion now as Bush digs his heel in the grass to break towards the middle.

This is a split second later and Kap still has not started his throwing motion. Now the rush is on him and he will eventually make an off balance throw that sails over Bush's head.

There was an illegal formation penalty on the offense on this play so it would not have counted anyway, but when looking at Kap's execution on this play, it is a fail. Have some anticipation. Lob it to the open area and put the responsibility on Bush to get there. Punt.
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:

It's like he just has predetermined where he's gong regardless of what's happening. It's like VD is right in front of him and has a step already just anticipate the throw

Look at his head. He's looking down the middle the whole time. But he's just waiting for Patton to show up in front of him to throw the ball. I swear this dude is on autopilot at qb.

I didn't think there was any wrong on the read, just a bad throw. But it was under a penalty so

Just my Niners these day
Share 49ersWebzone