LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 255 users in the forums

Rooting for better draft position

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Just wondering how each you feel about rooting for your team to lose after it's hopeless. With the hope of improving your draft position when it seems that's the best you can hope for.
  • KP82
Is there a Peyton Manning or Andrew Luck in the draft ? If not who cares.
I dont think we have to root for it.
  • 9er2k
  • Veteran
Baalke will just trade it back for a safety and a 7th rounder used on an acl tear
Do I want to see my team lose? Nah. I get happy after wins that are worth something. For instance i wasnt happy about beating a 1-5 struggling balt team like others were when we aren't going to the playoffs. don't like seeing pointless wins. If we had to lose all of our games this season, to save the franchise for the next decade I'm down with that.. Id also much rather be drafting top 3 this next year than lets say pick 9-13 to get a actual qb or a game changing play maker. They can still bust but the chances are lower when u are drafting higher
Win or lose, I'm just looking to see the younger players develop.
Look across the bay with Oakland. They fumbled around for a few years, but identified the parts they wanted to keep. Then, they finally added a good FA/draft class that's starting to push them over the edge.

A high draft slot is desirable, but you can't bank on being in position to get your target. Just develop the guys you have and take one of the BPA.
[ Edited by zonkers on Nov 1, 2015 at 4:35 PM ]
Never. I always root for a 49ers win.

The draft is a crap-shoot anyway.
I'm liking Paxton Lynch, Bosa and couple others. I'm rooting for all the underdogs from here on out.
At this point I would rather be 4-12 instead of 5-11. There are 5 players at the top that are blue chip prospects. Winning a meaningless game at the end, taking us out of position for them would be s**tty. The worse we look the better chance we have of turnover.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
These idiots will screw up our draft position by winning meaningless games at the end of the season against teams sitting their starters
[ Edited by ChazBoner on Nov 1, 2015 at 4:40 PM ]

Originally posted by 9er2k:
Baalke will just trade it back for a safety and a 7th rounder used on an acl tear

Very likely
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
These idiots will screw up our draft position by winning meaningless games at the end of the season against teams sitting their starters

And guys like Patton will showboat after each first down like their winning the Super Bowl
Originally posted by jreff22:
At this point I would rather be 4-12 instead of 5-11. There are 5 players at the top that are blue chip prospects. Winning a meaningless game at the end, taking us out of position for them would be s**tty. The worse we look the better chance we have of turnover.

This season is so skewed, 9 teams with 1 or 2 wins 8 teams with 3, that 4 wins may have you picking outside the top 10! AND we get screwed with our strength of schedule being so strong. We could end up picking just outside of the elite talent range.
Originally posted by KezarLivin:
Originally posted by jreff22:

This season is so skewed, 9 teams with 1 or 2 wins 8 teams with 3, that 4 wins may have you picking outside the top 10! AND we get screwed with our strength of schedule being so strong. We could end up picking just outside of the elite talent range.

We may get 2 more wins at this point. 4-12 is my guess right now.
I can see the idea of the draft to try and keep the playing field as level as possible, but in my view it has some deep flaws also. There shouldn't be any incentive to finish at the bottom of a competition. The idea is to compete to win not compete to lose. In the NRL, finishing last gets you nothing but the "wooden spoon" award, which basically means you're the whipping boys of the entire competition. Teams will fight tooth and nail to avoid that label so even the bottom feeder teams keep trying to win games week in, week out. They battle to stay away from the bottom, rather than race each other to it. Giving up is a cardinal sin. Anyway, despite the draft and the salary cap, there still seems to be major disparity across the NFL.

In that case, I'm not in favour of hoping we lose or the team trying to lose.
[ Edited by Zealot on Nov 1, 2015 at 4:56 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone