There are 169 users in the forums

Was is it the right decision to not go for it on 4th down? With 3 + min left in the 4th

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Was is it the right decision to not go for it on 4th down? With 3 + min left in the 4th

Originally posted by Young2Rice:
up to a certain limit, this is true. in this Situation however, u just risk injuries.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
chance to win lol

we had a .000000000000000001% chance of winning
You risk more injuries punting it. Plus our defense is our best unit, so why expose them by putting them back on the field? If injuries is all we cared about, why didn't we just kneel 4 times and give up the ball and let them score?

It was all about this coaching staff wanting to save face.
Originally posted by thl408:
Tell me how it's played.

good luck with that
Not going for it was a pansy move. Not sure why we even showed up for the game it was clear after the first drive (offensively and defensively) we didn't come to play. Save for Aaron Lynch everyone else looked pathetic. Thus far Tomsula strikes me as not playing/coaching to win. We've have had a number of 3rd and 4 "runs" and 3rd and 15 give-up run plays.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by SoCold:
so you think if they pick up the first down they would have

scored a quick TD - 20-10

got onside kick

scored another quick TD - 20-17

got another onside kick

get into FG range to tie or score another TD to win

all in 3 min

with the worst offense in football

OH MAN THAT'S GOOD
It's not about going for it on 4th down, and having a chance to win the game. You don't have to convince any of us that the 49ers had no chance in hell. But go down swinging, not punting. They were at home and the fans that stayed there till the end want to see them try.
In the end, it doesn't really matter. The team gave up at that point so the coaches were just following along. I understand the reason to punt. It's just from a fan standpoint, you want to see the team try till the end.

Not how the nfl game is played.
so you think if they pick up the first down they would have

scored a quick TD - 20-10

got onside kick

scored another quick TD - 20-17

got another onside kick

get into FG range to tie or score another TD to win

all in 3 min

with the worst offense in football

OH MAN THAT'S GOOD
It's not about going for it on 4th down, and having a chance to win the game. You don't have to convince any of us that the 49ers had no chance in hell. But go down swinging, not punting. They were at home and the fans that stayed there till the end want to see them try.
In the end, it doesn't really matter. The team gave up at that point so the coaches were just following along. I understand the reason to punt. It's just from a fan standpoint, you want to see the team try till the end.

Not how the nfl game is played.

Tell me how it's played.

I watched the Dolphins and Texans game and saw the Dolphins play the 3rd and 4th quarter and not try to score on purpose so they didn't hurt the Texans feelings cos they were up 41-0,right than i knew i had some learning to do about this sport still so basically i have no clue if the 49ers should have gone for it in this situation cos i don't understand some of the thinking in this sport
  • KP82
Of course you go for it. The game was lost, the difference wouldve been by 17, 20, or 24 points. You go down swinging. Team is full of pansies. Seems like the some of the fans around here are content with that. Lame
Originally posted by MasterBlaster:
You risk more injuries punting it. Plus our defense is our best unit, so why expose them by putting them back on the field? If injuries is all we cared about, why didn't we just kneel 4 times and give up the ball and let them score?

It was all about this coaching staff wanting to save face.

This. They should have just took 4 kneel downs on the last possession if we werent going to try to win. Let them get booed off the field. Its the same difference.
Originally posted by communist:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
up to a certain limit, this is true. in this Situation however, u just risk injuries.

What?

You risk injuries by punting and by playing defense also.

Hell no it wasn't the right thing to do. First time I saw the team quit since Mooch did it against Tampa in his last game in 02.
[ Edited by DASeiler49 on Oct 26, 2015 at 4:22 PM ]

Sign and Share if you believe Jed York is the problem and needs to be removed.
https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/remove-jed-york-ceo-san-fransisco-49ers
Originally posted by communist:

When do you play to win and win do you quit to avoid injuries?
Why not forfeit at the half?
Originally posted by rprayny:

Sign and Share if you believe Jed York is the problem and needs to be removed.
https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/remove-jed-york-ceo-san-fransisco-49ers

LOL this isnt going to do s**t.
Share 49ersWebzone